Zack Snyder's Justice League - Official Trailer

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist

It's a weird thing.

On the one hand, Zach Snyder (and his DC Films) is often held-up as a sort of "gold standard" of easy internet mockability.

On the other hand, Zach Snyder (and his DC Films) have such a vocal internet fan base, that they managed to make a major studio pay tens of millions of dollars so that Snyder could re-shoot and re-cut and make a 4 hour version of a movie.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's a weird thing.

On the one hand, Zach Snyder (and his DC Films) is often held-up as a sort of "gold standard" of easy internet mockability.

On the other hand, Zach Snyder (and his DC Films) have such a vocal internet fan base, that they managed to make a major studio pay tens of millions of dollars so that Snyder could re-shoot and re-cut and make a 4 hour version of a movie.
I dunno. All I know is I'm not allowed to have a public conversation about liking MoS without being shouted down about how it's apparently the worst thing that ever existed. It's quite unpleasant.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
It's a weird thing.

OTOOH - HBO Max costs $15 a month. JL made about $230 million domestic. So even being conservative, that's about 15 million tickets sold.

Being even more conservative, let's say that JLSC gets 5 million new subs for WB, that's $75 million. PER MONTH.

I think that, not the internet peanut gallery, is what gave it the green light.

Mercurius

Legend
Man of Steel is a really, really good film. In my top 3 superhero films. So good.

BvS is really good up until the Doomsday bit (that ending and the ending of WW1 were the same special effects package, I think)

Justice League was awful. But we know now it was only 30% original footage. I am keen to see the original vision.
This is pretty much my view on these three movies, with the slight caveat that MoS--which I really like--is probably not top 3 for me, but definitely top 10. I also hold a special place in my heart for the first two Reeves films and would consider the first the best Superman movie, the "Can you read my mind?" bit notwithstanding.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is pretty much my view on these three movies, with the slight caveat that MoS--which I really like--is probably not top 3 for me, but definitely top 10. I also hold a special place in my heart for the first two Reeves films and would consider the first the best Superman movie, the "Can you read my mind?" bit notwithstanding.
Superman 1&2, for sure. Batman 89 and the first Avengers flick are better. And The Dark Knight is the best superhero flick ever made. I liked Infinity War a lot (Endgame wasn't as good). And Iron Man 1 is pretty good.

So yeah, without ranking them, top 10 I guess.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I dunno. All I know is I'm not allowed to have a public conversation about liking MoS without being shouted down about how it's apparently the worst thing that ever existed. It's quite unpleasant.

People take their superheroes a wee bit too seriously.

Mercurius

Legend
Superman 1&2, for sure. Batman 89 and the first Avengers flick are better. And The Dark Knight is the best superhero flick ever made. I liked Infinity War a lot (Endgame wasn't as good). And Iron Man 1 is pretty good.

So yeah, without ranking them, top 10 I guess.
We have a similar top 10. I'd add in X2 and Days of Future Past, but I may be biased as I was much more of an X-Men fan back in the day than Avengers etc.

My top 9 superhero flicks would probably be, in no particular order: X2, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Avengers, Iron Man, Spider-Man (Tobey Maguire), Superman, Man of Steel, Batman (1989), Dark Knight.

Not sure which film to slot in as the 10th - there are a half a dozen candidates.

Remove ads