Zack Snyder's Justice League - Official Trailer

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We have a similar top 10. I'd add in X2 and Days of Future Past, but I may be biased as I was much more of an X-Men fan back in the day than Avengers etc.

My top 9 superhero flicks would probably be, in no particular order: X2, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Avengers, Iron Man, Spider-Man (Tobey Maguire), Superman, Man of Steel, Batman (1989), Dark Knight.

Not sure which film to slot in as the 10th - there are a half a dozen candidates.
I’d drop the Xmen Films and add Logan.

And Fantastic Four. /joking!

For me, the best superhero movies are simply classic movies. They aren’t competing with Thor 2, they’re competing with the likes of Goodfellas, Aliens, Ghostbusters, and Star Trek Ii. Dark Knight makes that list, but I don’t think any Marvel flick does.

GreyLord

Legend
Hmm, change of pace, but if I had to list my top 10 super hero movies....they'd probably be...

#1 - Batman (Keaton)
#2 - Batman Begins
#3 - Batman Forever
#4 - Thor Ragnarok
#5 - Batman Returns
#6 - Lego Batman
#7 - Batman Mask of the Phantasm (Yes, it's not a theatrical release as far as I know)
#8 - Justice League Crisis on Two Earths (see the statement above)
#9 - Batman Mystery of the Batwoman (see above)
#10 - Batman Superman Movie

Yes...there's a lot of Batman in there...

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Hmm, change of pace, but if I had to list my top 10 super hero movies....they'd probably be...

#1 - Batman (Keaton)
#2 - Batman Begins
#3 - Batman Forever
#4 - Thor Ragnarok
#5 - Batman Returns
#6 - Lego Batman
#7 - Batman Mask of the Phantasm (Yes, it's not a theatrical release as far as I know)
#8 - Justice League Crisis on Two Earths (see the statement above)
#9 - Batman Mystery of the Batwoman (see above)
#10 - Batman Superman Movie

Yes...there's a lot of Batman in there...
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm WAS a theatrical release. I saw it twice on the big screen the weekend it was released.

Mercurius

Legend
I’d drop the Xmen Films and add Logan.

And Fantastic Four. /joking!

For me, the best superhero movies are simply classic movies. They aren’t competing with Thor 2, they’re competing with the likes of Goodfellas, Aliens, Ghostbusters, and Star Trek Ii. Dark Knight makes that list, but I don’t think any Marvel flick does.
Well, I'm a bit MCU-ed out, so I have a bit of a negative feeling for them right now. It is mainly that they all just kind of blur together as effects-laden action spectacle. So I suppose this jives with what you are saying.

On the other hand, I don't think many folks go to a superhero for anything more (or less) than pure entertainment. Whether or not it is a "classic movie" is aside from their enjoyment. So while I agree that Dark Knight is a cut above, and perhaps to some extent Logan, I don't think either are more entertaining than the best of the MCU (e.g. Avengers). As an aside, Christopher Nolan is one of my favorite film makers, although I would rate Interstellar and Inception above Dark Knight (haven't seen Tenet or Dunkirk yet).

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Here's my personal top 10. These are the movie I keep going back to.
  1. Captain America - The Winter Soldier
  2. Logan
  3. Man of Steel
  4. Black Panther
  5. Captain America - The First Avenger
  6. Watchmen
  7. Guardians of the Galaxy
  8. Wonder Woman
  9. Spiderman - Far From Home
  10. Thor Ragnorak
For what it's worth (outside its historical significance) I don't think the first Avengers movie is all that enjoyable of a film. Black Panther, Thor Ragnorak and Guardians of the Galaxy are far more enjoyable popcorn flicks.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
As an aside, Christopher Nolan is one of my favorite film makers, although I would rate Interstellar and Inception above Dark Knight (haven't seen Tenet or Dunkirk yet).

The indisputable Christopher Nolan Movie Rankings:

1. The Prestige
2. Memento
3. Dunkirk
4. The Dark Knight
5. Inception*
6. Tenet
7. Following
8. Insomnia
9. Interstellar
10. Dark Knight Rises
11 Batman Begins (Eh, I know, you disagree- and this isn't a bad thing, it's just the 11th of the Nolan movies ...)

*This movie may be the one that has lost esteem because it's so overdone, but show it to someone who has never seen it before and it is magic.

GreyLord

Legend

1. The Prestige
2. Memento
3. Dunkirk
4. The Dark Knight
5. Inception*
6. Tenet
7. Following
8. Insomnia
9. Interstellar
10. Dark Knight Rises
11 Batman Begins (Eh, I know, you disagree- and this isn't a bad thing, it's just the 11th of the Nolan movies ...)

*This movie may be the one that has lost esteem because it's so overdone, but show it to someone who has never seen it before and it is magic.
I actually found Dunkirk rather boring. I watched it and could not see why everyone was raving about it. I think it was more that it had to do with a historical event that is notable than that the movie was all that interesting, at least from what I could see.

I absolutely LOVED Tenet though. I found it excellent, perhaps one of his best. It may be too complex for many to follow though, which would be a weakness. It has so much in it.

I've never saw nor heard of Insomnia or Following, perhaps I should check them out.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I actually found Dunkirk rather boring. I watched it and could not see why everyone was raving about it. I think it was more that it had to do with a historical event that is notable than that the movie was all that interesting, at least from what I could see.

I absolutely LOVED Tenet though. I found it excellent, perhaps one of his best. It may be too complex for many to follow though, which would be a weakness. It has so much in it.

I've never saw nor heard of Insomnia or Following, perhaps I should check them out.

I really enjoyed Dunkirk; admittedly, I loved the history, the event, and I saw it on a super-big IMAX. But it was a perfect use of inventive cinema, score, and time signatures that served the story instead of overwhelming it.

I also loved Tenet, but there was one thing that kept me from ranking it higher; because of the way it was shot, and the way he used his actors in it, they ... well, they often did scenes without knowing what they were doing, exactly. And there were times that it showed. The plot was great, the actors were great, but the acting was limited because of the way it was shot.

Following was his first film- it's really fun, and it shows you clearly the road he was on. Insomnia, other than a little Pacino scenery eating, is a solid film that makes you think about his ability to shoot more "standard" fare (with "standard" being used very loosely).

Mallus

Legend
I like both Nolan and Snyder. They're very similar in that each has a limited bag of tricks, but those tricks are amazing (their technical skills, the strength of their compositions, distinctive visual styles, etc.). They both can make films where critical elements are missing -- like decent dialogue in Tenet -- and it doesn't really matter.

Their biggest difference might be Snyder's got a somewhat underserved bad reputation and Nolan a somewhat undeserved good one.

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend

1. The Prestige
2. Memento
3. Dunkirk
4. The Dark Knight
5. Inception*
6. Tenet
7. Following
8. Insomnia
9. Interstellar
10. Dark Knight Rises

Mine's almost the reverse, with the caveat that I haven't seen Tenet, Dunkirk, or Following (yet).

1. Interstellar
2. Inception
3. Dark Knight
4. Dark Knight Rises
5. Batman Begins
6. Memento
7. Prestige
8. Insomnia

Remove ads