Zaratan - A Giant Turtle - Where to find it?

Crothian

First Post
HeavyG said:
Ah. :lol:

(I actually thought about that - it was my next question :D. But we might survive it. How much damage would that do, approximately ?)

Depends on the wieght...there is a table for dropping things on people, though I don't recall where it is.

Jack Simth

First Post
HeavyG said:
Ah. :lol:

(I actually thought about that - it was my next question :D. But we might survive it. How much damage would that do, approximately ?)
Fatal. Let's see... you are crushed by something weighing in at ... what? A few million pounds? That's hard as granite, and all it needs to get dropped on you is a mage, friendly to it, near enough to it to cast Dimension Door (perhaps Teleport, or Greater Teleport) to raise it up just high enough to be above you. After all, for all it's size, it's still a single creature....

Of course, for that CR, it's got a horrid will save.....

HeavyG

First Post
Jack Simth said:
Fatal. Let's see... you are crushed by something weighing in at ... what? A few million pounds?

Yeah, but a colossal dragon that falls on you only inflicts 4d8 dmg (plus STR bonus, I guess).

Jack Simth

First Post
HeavyG said:
Yeah, but a colossal dragon that falls on you only inflicts 4d8 dmg (plus STR bonus, I guess).
Yes... but dragons don't usually get confused, over very long periods of time, for big chunks of rock. This thing is called Colossal, not because it takes up a .... what, an 8x8 area on the combat grid? But because they lack a sufficiently larger size descriptor. You're talking an island several miles across; I suppose "millions" doesn't cover the sheer weight involved. Perhaps "billions" or "trillions" of pounds. Hmm... at 1 square mile, 100 feet thick, you are talking 2787840000 cubic feet .... that much distilled water weighs in at ... 77,466,416.91817322 tons, or 173,516,904,153.6535 lbs. If it's bigger - say, half as thick as it is wide - then you are talking half a cubic mile of flesh - 8,586,756,000 cubic feet, 534,445,060,635.7642 lbs (assuming the density of distilled water).(Nifty Website for densities)

Crothian

First Post
Alzrius said:
I thought there was a ruling of some sort that the most a falling object could do to you was 20d6.

falling damage has a cap, but not a falling object hitting someone that I have seen

Testament

First Post
Use the improvised weapons rules from the Complete Warrior. That's how Hulking Hurlers are able to shatter planets, after all.

comareddin

First Post
Well, falling objects should have damage cap as well. It is all about terminal velocity actually. More air resistance applies as you increase velocity. When you reach that terminal velocity the air resistance is equal to the force applies by gravity so your speed does not increase, thus the term terminal velocity. It is dependent on the aerodynamics of the particular object and each object has its own coefficient depending on its shape. I doubt a giant turtle carrying an island on his back would have superior aerodynamics. But who knows, if you dropped it upside down with that pointy mountain looking down at the players, you might reach really high speeds.

Com

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases