ZEITGEIST ZEITGEIST 5E

Tobold

Explorer
Separate, over on EN5ider.

I am very happy about this. The only drawback is that the entire campaign is something like 1,600 pages of material, and EN5ider is publishing it in chapters of about 20 pages each, once or twice per month. I won't be able to use the material and play Zeitgeist in 5E before the end of this year, when I will at least have the complete adventure one. And the whole campaign is going to take several years.

Max Traction

First Post
I never heard of this until it showed up in ENsider. I'm going to convert it on the fly from either PF or 4e to 5e. Which do you think would be easier? I might also go completely nuts and just convert it to Cypher since that system's so easy to wing-it in.

PF uses more classic D&D-isms than 4e (like spell names), but things like skill DCs scale in both PF and 4e, while being mostly flat in 5e.

Most of the named enemies in ZEITGEIST were unique, so conversion would not be a simple case of "Oh, I'll just use the 5e orc instead of the 4e orc." It's more like, "Huh. How do I model the party fighting a 15th-level fighter who's already taken out a hundred people and is down to only a few hit points?" In 4e and PF his AC was very high so the party probably needed a nat 20 to even hurt him, while each of his attacks probably dropped a PC. (The intention was to make the party try negotiation, to highlight very early on that the world has very dangerous people, and to teach them that not every challenge in this campaign is overcome by combat.)

I think the 4e design has more flavor, especially early on, when we were more tentative in our conversions to PF. Each 4e enemy had a brief description of all their attacks, and so I started putting in more interesting ideas. Rather than "he has a sword" it was "she says a command word and teleports a pair of pistols with bayonets into her hands, then snaps bullets in your direction while she dashes to cover" or "the druid gestures and one of the low-hanging fog banks drifts across you, ruining your vision, but you hear buzzing of wings from some unseen creature."

Max Traction

First Post
Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm leaning toward using Cypher for my conversion. I'll use the PF for adventure 1 I've bought and move to 4e for the rest.

Really it's going to come down to what my players want. But ... I think the on the fly conversion will be easier in cypher. That fighter would just be level Whatever and the party would need massive rolls burning tons of effort to even hit him.

Cheers.

SanjMerchant

Explorer
I suppose the answer will be "You'll have to wait and see," but I was wondering if the level progression was going to more-or-less match Pathfinder's, or if there was going to be something different.

To maximize the fake out about Adventure 9 being the finale, it might be nice to have the players be Level 20 for that and then advance them using, I dunno, epic boons or something for the rest of the path.

Sent from my SM-G900V using EN World mobile app

Remove ads