Pathfinder 1E [ZEITGEIST-Pathfinder] (No players plz) - Dying Skyseer - Ring of Blood encounter??

I am GMing the Dying Skyseer adventure and have just finished the 'Fog of War' encounter and was looking at the upcoming 'A Ring of Blood' encounter(which the players should get to in the next session this Saturday). After first glancing through it, it didn't seem so bad until I realized that all of the shadow creatures in this encounter are all incorporeal undead.

It worries me a little, has anyone else had any problems with this encounter being too tough?

None of my PCs have magic weapons and there is no cleric (we have an Oracle instead) to channel positive energy.

In the 4e version, the only incorporeal one was the aspect of death. And even then, 4e just has incorporeal creatures take half-damage from all attacks (which is mathematically pretty close to having a 50% chance to do full damage).

So I'd say pick one critter to be incorporeal, and have the rest just be shadow-looking monsters.

d2OKC

Explorer
Having just run this encounter a few days ago, albeit in 4E and not Pathfinder, my gut says to keep it like it is. It's a really scary, difficult challenge, and it had a perfect amount of danger to be threatening to the PCs, but not enough to truly kill them if they play it smart. Obviously, I don't know your players views of character death, so I don't know how they'd react to being killed, but I bet they'll enjoy the challenge.

If you're really worried about it, maybe the mayor outfits them with magic weapons before they go up the mountain - "just as a precaution"? He's trying to put on airs that he is really on their side, what better way than to give them cool stuff? And, if you don't want them to keep it, just have him request that they bring them back after they're done on the mountain when he performs the cleansing ritual.

yeah well in Pathfinder incorporeal creatures are 100% immune to non-magical attacks and only take 1/2 damage from magical attacks from a corporeal source (with the exception of force effects like magic missile which do full damage). They also take full damage from positive energy channeling attacks.

Yeah and they are ALL incorporeal in the Pathfinder version.

There definitely are, though admittedly most of the campaign write-ups are by 4e GMs.

I don't recall anyone saying they had a total party kill in PF, and I generally trust Thurston (our PF conversion guy)'s judgment on what's a balanced encounter. Still, you might recommend if nothing else a few scrolls of magic weapon or something.

Remove ads