ZEITGEIST [ZEITGEIST] The Continuing Adventures of Korrigan & Co.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Session 56, Part One - Unexpected Help

Venkio had been the very worst of the dragon tyrants, fond of dipping his victims in vats of acid. As Korrigan, Quratulain, Gupta and Uru approached the dragon, a shadowy shape peeled itself away from a pillar, in much the same way as they had seen the shadow shapes seep into the palace walls earlier, but this one formed into a man they knew – albeit one shrouded in perpetual gloom.

“Marshal Korrigan,” the shadow man said, “Constable Sevitar Anrathi reporting for duty. Officer Rumdoom is with me.” Then he raised his greatsword and joined them, as if he had been part of their team all along.

Sevitar Anrathi was once a member of Unit B. He had been welcomed into the RHC, having disappeared some eighty years earlier, pursuing a necromancer named Cedric San into the Bleak Gate around Cauldron Hill. The rest of his team had perished, but Sevitar had been trapped, eventually finding his way out to discover many years had passed without him. He also found that when he ‘died’ in the real world, he was able to reform, or coalesce a few days later. But when Unit B took part in the assault on the Canal Route into the Ob facility on Cauldron Hill, Sevitar had perished (along with officers Theren Silverspire and Niniel Erendis), and this time, he had not coalesced.

Unbeknownst to his fellow officers, he had remained trapped in the Bleak Gate and found himself unable to return to the real world. So he set about doing his best to thwart the Ob within the Bleak Gate itself – attacking isolated installations, and eventually – three years later – picked up the trail of Cedric San – his nemesis from half a century earlier. San was merely the alias of Professor Johan Bugge, who had been hounded out of Pardwright University decades ago, on charges of necromancy. Since then he had been working for the Obscurati in a remote laboratory (and thirty years ago, masqueraded as ‘Cedric San’ to keep people off Cauldron Hill).

Unable to take San on immediately, Sevitar had instead followed him across the dead seas of the Bleak Gate to Danor, where – while investigating the Ob’s latest schemes – he encountered Rumdoom.

What has Rumdoom been up to all this time?

Rumdoom fell from the Lance of Triegenes when he smashed the masonry beneath his own feet in order to dislodge the colossus. Incredibly (or perhaps inevitably) he had survived the fall, and was rescued from the rubble of the Lance by a tribe of deep faen that had tracked the iron giant all the way from Elfaivar, following their encounter with ‘the fading one’. (The ‘Fading One’ was a figure from deep faen prophecy, and was how they referred to Uru, who had met them when the unit was hunting for Kasvarina.) The deep faen found Thurgid Irsonpoon, too. Rumdoom’s loyal retainer had leapt off the tower holding Hildegaard’s parasol, and miraculously survived the descent. Was Rumdoom’s immortality rubbing off on his followers? (Perhaps not. What became of the rest of his entourage is unknown…)

Rumdoom was unable to contact his team (who had been translocated to the Dreaming), and so he fell in with the deep faen, and followed the colossus which had by now clambered back to its feet and was heading south, now in the real world. Danoran forces appeared to guide it, and ensure that major damage and loss of life were avoided. Eventually, Borne arrived in Cherage, where it was met by Nicodemus in another host body. At his urging, the colossus lay down, and allowed itself to be loaded onto an immense, specially designed barge and shipped to Axis Island.

While in Cherage, they encountered a shadowy spy and only narrowly avoided a combat with him, assuming he was a foe. This turned out to be Sevitar Anrathi, who had recently stumbled upon an Obscurati plan to assassinate the king, employing the talents of his prime target: the necromancer known as Cedric San. This did not sound to Rumdoom like a good ending, and he decided it had to be stopped!

By now, some of the deep faen had become enamored of the Avatar of the End, and - knowing him to be an ally of the Fading One - offered to help him cross the inky sea back to Risur. (The rest of the deep faen continued on their quest to pursue the colossus by slinking onto the barge.) So Sevitar, Rumdoom, Thurgid and a small cohort of deep faen travelled south, braving the ‘dead seas’ of the Bleak Gate.

By the time they reached Slate, the assassination attempt was already underway, and they had to fight their way through hordes of ethereal undead to reach the palace. (Sevitar was able to sense Cedric San’s presence and slipped away in shadow form to deal with him.)

Fortunately, Rumdoom had brought one of the Danoran auto-cannons with him. The deep faen shaman cast a spell to make his bullets hit ethereal targets, and Rumdoom entered combat on top of his clockwork carriage, firing his autocannon ahead of them to clear a path!

Korrigan contacted him by messenger wind and he veered away from the lantern and came to help them beat the dragon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLarDhciHY0

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Is Rumdoom still a PC? What explains his absence?

Very much so, yes. It wouldn't be Zeitgeist without Rumdoom. Not our Zeitgeist anyway! His player was out for several weeks for real-life reasons - not for the first time. So we staged another departure during his final week, which happened to coincide with the showdown on the Lance. To my reckoning this is his third such dramatic disappearance, the others being his self-sacrifice against a sea-monster during adventure 3, and then setting off on his own to take down Sly and the Family Stone during adventure 4. We try to make his reappearances equally dramatic. This is my favourite so far. Nicely timed. I only knew he was coming back on the day of the session.

It was altogether possible that he might be out for the whole of the rest of adventure #9. If that had happened I had the idea that he and the deep fey would have sailed on to Axis Island and got involved in the White Tongue's sabotage of the planar ritual. Rumdoom wouldn't have realised what was going on, all the while thinking he was thwarting the Ob. Ho ho! I'm almost disappointed that never got to happen.

By the way - I can't find any reference to the souped-up powers of the Golden Icon of Apet when the planar seal is open. I'm happy to make them up, but wondered if I was missing them. Also, do the powers remain for the rest of the campaign? (It would be nice if they did, but it says they don't work during Stanfield's ritual, so I was wondering if they started up again afterwards or not.)

Edit: I should add an explanation of my fudging of the identity of Professor Bugge, alias Cedric San. We created the character and backstory of Sevitar when only the draft of #9 was published, and the necromancer is called Cedric San in that draft. I always had an idea that Sevitar would die at some point and return at this moment, so seeded the link way back then. Of course, the identity of San got changed in the meantime, and while I could have simply switched it back, I preferred the backstory of Bugge, so I simply combined the two.

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Session 56, Part Two - Meanwhile...

...up on the roof:

Just before the Professor Bugge (or Cedric San) – for it was he, the dark-robed necromancer – invoked the spirit of Venkio, Korrigan had transformed into a Bolt of Avilona and shot up to the roof where Leon was working on the lantern. Korrigan’s arrival couldn’t have happened at a better moment. Leon was attempting to infuse the lamp with enough oil to make it coterminous with the Dreaming. He had already exhausted the supply he had stolen from Mutravir (and kept in the absurdist web), but it was not enough – he needed more, and thought that the Borenbog’s Gourd could supply it. So the opening moments of the fight against Venkio saw Korrigan and Leon pouring fey spirits into the huge lamp, while Acodel, Andrei and Amielle headed down to help the rest of the unit. While they did so, Leon told Korrigan what had happened on the roof:

It had been a scrappy fight. Flashy Ascodel was already exhausted, having shown off in the throne room (and ridden through the air for 24 hours). He also found that his aelectrical flight powers – with which he had borne Leon and Andrei up onto the roof – puttered out after just a few seconds, dumping them onto the tiles in range of the wraith horde and Ob squads that were guarding the lamp. (No golem up here – too heavy.) Andrei had done his best, as always, but was brought down just before the last of the Ob soldiers were taken out. (By now, he was back on his feet, but his clothes were once again in tatters.) Leon had suffered a teleportation mishap that saw him end up prone on top of the lantern. But that was perhaps best as it took him out of sight of the Ob squad who had already riddled him with bullets.

With Amielle Latimer’s help, they had eventually dispersed first the wraiths and then the soldiers. This was not the first time she helped them, having bought the loyalty of the guards on Mutravir and protected them from a Shadowlisk. Now Amielle had evidently chosen to completely abandon the Ob and switch sides. “As you can see,” she said, “I have grown tired of Nicodemus and can no longer support his Grand Design.” Once the fight was over, she told them that Stanfield was going to perform a ritual in Flint that night, but that if he was stopped, they should be able to protect Risur from falling under the Obscurati’s dominance. She was willing to help stop the Ob from assassinating Aodhan, but warned them it would be problem if she ‘died’, as anything she had learned could be dragged out of her magically when she rejuvenated back with the Ghost Council.

…near the Titan Shrine

Fighting alone, as he preferred, Asrabey tore into the forces guarding the lantern near the Titan Shrine. If it wasn’t for the bleak aura surrounding the golem, his fiery blade would have taken out the wraith horde in two blows, and the Ob soldiers were simply incapable of hitting him, he moved so fast. The only thing that gave him pause was the golem’s tracer cannon. Although it missed, the flare it caused was so bright it blinded Asrabey temporarily. Although unable to see, he blasted out a roaring wall of fire, and could hear the screams and smell the burning flesh of the enemies it had hit. By the time his sight recovered, the wraiths were gone and only the golem and a few brave soldiers remained – the rest having high-tailed it into the gloom. Asrabey pinned the golem in place with his lion shield and mopped up the rest of the squad while it gnawed on the golem’s chassis. Then he put the golem out of commission and turned his attention to the lantern…

… in the Throne Room

King Aodhan had elected to remain in situe – an obvious target for the Obscurati, drawing danger away from the wedding guests who were being herded to sanctuary in the bunker. Concerned for other occupants of the palace, he sent Unit B into the east wing to corral any survivors and bring them here. Tasked with defending the king, the leader of unit B, Ludo Marcione, began to object, then thought better of it and departed.

Now King Aodhan stood with only his Principal Minister Harkover Lee, and personal bodyguard Dame Jillian, the Green Knight. The walls he had raised would not hold back the wraith horde forever. Eventually they scrambled high enough and spilled into the throne room like a flood of witchoil, and the king funnelled them with more raised earth. Harkover launched powerful fireballs at them Dame Jillian employed solar turning and defended the king with her halberd. They fought well, as did Aodhan, who was surprisingly sprightly for a man of seventy. But the wraiths kept coming in wave after exhausting wave and soon they were swamped. Harkover’s combat spells were close to depletion, and Jillian’s second solar turning petered and quailed in the gloom of the Gate. When their efforts earned them a brief respite, Aodhan gathered his friends around him and reinvigorated them with the bounty of Risur itself.

At that moment, Lauryn Cyneburg appeared. She shot a paralysing bolt at a lone wraith that flitted towards her, took a look around and said, “Oh, :):):):). I’ll be back with reinforcements as soon as I can!” Then she vanished. Harkover appealed to the King to follow suit, but Aodhan refused. He would stand and fight here.

Just then, the artillery on the North Lawn fired again (for this was before Gupta silenced them). Two shells slammed into the throne room, and the impact was sufficient to throw Aodhan, Harkover and Dame Jillian to the floor, showering them with rubble and debris. There followed a moment of silence while they lay dazed, before slowly getting to their feet. When they did so, they noticed that unit B had returned and had gathered around them. They didn’t appear to have rescued any stragglers.

Campion Pryce-Hill offered a hand to Harkover. When he took it, Campion drew him close, raised a blowpipe in his free hand, and blew a dart into Harkover’s eye. Harkover staggered away as the other members of the unit attacked Aodhan and Dame Jillian. Harkover fell and began to shudder and shake.

Ludo Marcione, master of psionics, then raised a mental shield over all of them – a bubble that would exclude interference while his team did its job. As he did so he muttered, “Lady of the Forked Tongue, you promised me power in return for my aid. I hold you to your vow!” An abyssal rune passed over the surface of the hemisphere.

The bubble was positioned so as to lock Harkover outside. But Harkover was in no position to help the king in any case…

*scrolls back through to find what this was in reference to*

Man, it gets confusing having written the campaign, played it once, and read a half dozen different groups' versions of it.

gideonpepys

Ludo Marcione and Ashima-Shimtu

Oh, good grief. Poor you! That would have taken a lot of scrolling, and even then you wouldn't have found much but a couple of oblique references (in post #775), back when our main group of heroes revisited the vault with Kasvarina: There they learned that the 'storm-tossed sea' where they last left unit B (in post #459) was in fact the sea around Odiem, and that unit B had been bady beaten by the hag they were following, before Leon had bampfed in and rescued them. (Leon can't remember doing this, so it must have happened 'later'.)

This is all in an attempt to fill in the blanks of story threads left dangling when our campaign took a hiatus. Because we were gaming way faster than the AP was being published, at the end of #5 I came up with a whole series of adventures in which Leon and his 'dream team', and Unit B tried to prevent a coven of hags - servants of the Voice of Rot - from obtaining a series of planar idols that would empower their master once the Axis Seal was opened.

Of course, I could have let all these threads wither on the vine (its not like the players would remember them without my help) but they link up with major subplots - most obviously Jenny Greenteeth and her attempt to snatch Korrigan's son; and Lavanya, the beautiful eladrin woman who rescued Leon on Axis Island, and keeps popping up in the most unlikely places.

Also, the reappearance of Sevitar Anrathi and the treachery of Ludo Marcione were events that were planned a very long time ago, and its always rewarding to have small ideas like that pay off. Sevitar's player was happy to see him again, and find out what had happened to him. As for Ludo, well he'll take a whole other post to explain fully, but the timing of Rumdoom's return could not have been better:

Rumdoom's player also played Ludo. His first Unit B character was a female bugbear scout called Ffenwig (he couldn't be arsed to generate one himself and said, 'surprise me'...) but he didn't really like her, and decided he wanted a total contrast to the dwarven headcase he plays in the main campaign. The name Ludo Marcione had already been dropped (as a potential unit member) during our first few side-quests with unit B. I initially planned to run a whole raft of premade adventures - city-based investigations in which an investigator named Ludo Marcione is murdered. When that idea was scratched, I simply added 'Prof.' to the name and he became a suave, but arrogant psionic detective. (I mean, you would be, wouldn't you?)

Over the course of a few adventures, Ludo's self-preservationist streak emerged and, shortly after the events of Cauldron Born, I received this email from his player:

"This may be a really silly idea and may not work with your plans re the overall encounter, whatever they are........ But, do you fancy having some fun with Ludo by making him a secret Obscurati agent? I’m trying to get an interesting back story for Ludo basically, and I kind of like the idea of making him have a dark side."

I loved the idea, because it was so in keeping with how the character had developed, and responded as follows:

"I've been thinking about this idea since you raised it, and rather than say that Ludo has been an Obscurati agent all along, I thought it might be interesting to have Ludo seek out and try to join the Ob following the events of recent days: watching the Colossus stomp across the skyline would be enough to make anyone wonder if he was on the right side. And following the 'purge' of recent months, the Ob need another pair of eyes in the RHC."

That's been on the back-burner ever since, for obvious reasons, but as we approached Act Two of Last Starry Sky I decided to add Ludo and his team to assassination attempt, before Rumdoom's player said he'd need to take time out. So I was all the more pleased that he returned when he did, to witness the fruition of his evil scheme, and the impact it will have on the campaign world!

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Session 56, Part Three - Ludio Marcione

One of the useful things about writing a regular campaign journal is that I can add little bits of exposition every now and then, without interrupting the flow of the story at the table. So here's what I sent the players to bring them up to speed on erstwhile PC Ludo Marcione (they wouldn't know all this when they were fighting him, but they'd find most of it out eventually):

Professor Ludo Marcione was a talented investigator, best suited to working alone. He might have enjoyed a successful career in the RHC, had he stuck to doing just that. His biggest mistake was accepting the leadership of Unit B. Theren Silverspire was their original leader, but setbacks experienced by the team had seen him demoted, with the ambitious Marcione appointed in his stead. And so it was that Marcione found himself thrown in to several extremely dangerous combat missions, which caused his natural tendency towards self-preservation to manifest in a very obvious way. Worst of all was the assault on Cauldron Hill, in which three of the six-man team perished.

Given the nature of that mission, Ludo could not be held responsible, and remained at the helm of the newly rebuilt team, but by then he had borne witness to the mechanical colossus that had stomped across Flint. Confronted by such raw power, fresh from his recent narrow escape, Ludo had determined that he was on the losing side. During the anti-Ob campaign that followed the abandoned Peace Talks, Ludo used the cover of rooting out Ob agents to actively seek contact with and swear allegiance to the organisation.

Once sworn in, he remained in the RHC as a sleeper agent, but that could not save him from the front line. Unit B were saddled with pursuing ‘planar idols’ at the behest of Leon Veilleux, and an irksome dwarf REID agent named Orum Dwist. They risked the dangers of an ancient jungle tomb, and almost died at the hands of a hag and an ogre mage. They were yanked out of that mess, only to be plunged straight into more peril – in pursuit of another idol in the Vault of Heresies, where they tangled with another, even more dangerous hag. Again they were rescued, and withdrew – but while they were in the vault, Ashima-Shimtu whispered to Ludo that she would lend him ‘great power’ if he promised to help free her. He agreed.

Back in Flint, Orum Dwist and Throgmorton refused to work with Ludo again, citing his ‘evident cowardice’. (An accusation which served only to ingrain Ludo’s resentment, given the horrific ordeal he had been through.) Brajham Silverspire had to be committed (having never fully recovered from the death of his brother, he had taken to defecating at inappropriate moments), leaving Ludo and Doctor Wil Stanmore the only members of unit B remaining.

Ludo used this opportunity to fill the unit with like-minded men; ruthless types he could rely on to make the right choices when the time came – the Badger, Happy Harry and others rejected by Marshal Korrigan for ‘questionable personality types’. (This method of recruitment was almost flawless, from Ludo’s perspective.)

Finally, orders came from the Ob: he was ordered to guard the King during the forthcoming wedding and his instructions were to take part in and augment Aodhan’s assassination. To this end, he would be joined by Campion Price-Hill, nephew to the Viscount, a fellow Ob recruit, who had been equipped with the means to neutralise Harkover Lee.

It was now or never. Ludo gave the nod to each of his men and established their firm loyalty. All save Wil Stanmore, of whom he had grown quite fond, but felt uncertain about. Just before they left for Slate, he and a couple of the others approached Wil in his office, where he looked up from tinkering with his latest device and greeted them with a smile. They told him of their mission, and asked if he would join them. Yes or no? His smile vanished, and after a pause, Wil refused, knowing full well that the consequences would be final. Wil was dealt with swiftly and silently, and left for Stover Delft to dispose of. …

gideonpepys

DM Notes

Before I post the final part of our session report, I thought I would explain the way we dealt with the multiple combats detailed in post #864.

There were only four out of seven players present the week before last, so the party had to be split a week earlier. (That's why I had Amielle Latimer appear early and beckon Leon, Ascodel and Andrei up on to the roof). So during session 55 I kept a careful count of rounds while Korrigan, Uru, Gupta and Quratulain herded the wedding guests through the palace.

This session began with a recap, as always, which led us into the arrival of Sevitar and Rumdoom, and Korrigan's decision to head up to the roof. Then we needed to find out exactly what position the rest of the party was in. As certain players had been given character sheets for Aodhan, Harkover and Dame Jillian two weeks earlier, it only seemed appropriate (and suitably dramatic) that we should find out what happened there too. This meant that almost every player now had something to do - not just Leon, Ascodel and Andrei.

Rumdoom's return meant we were one character short, so I decided to play out Asrabey's fight too, rather than guesstimating. This meant that we were playing out three separate fights simultaneously, round-by-round, until each one had reached a satisfactory conclusion. (Even though Asrabey's fight did not start at the same time as the others!)

I admit that this was quite a complicated solution and wish I had thought to use miniatures to make things a bit more clear, as for the first few rounds there was a fair amount of confusion with players forgetting who was or wasn't where. But the method worked and had the desired outcome of giving us a clear idea of what was happening in each room when the fight against Venkio was over.

It also meant that we left the throne room on a nice cliff-hanger while the rest of the party tried to get past the dragon tyrant and rescue the king. (More of which in the next post.)

Last edited:

Remove ads