zelandia - the homebrew setting based off New Zealand . Part 1

I could see the gods being primordials or perhaps the elder gods, Ranginui and Papa being primordials and their children being gods. Although, having looked up the gods, many of them seem related to the elements.
You sir are full of inspiration and good ideas . Let me know if you got any more ideas 💡 haha . I’m working on a fighter sub class for the races that will be based off the Maori warriors . Excel in guerilla warfare and hand to hand combat .

Zardnaar

Legend
You could mix and match your genres as well and go with some conspiracy theory/lost world stuff.

Add some Dinosaurs or refluff into giant Tuatara. Perhaps some Vikings have reached here and some race of ancients or whatever used magic to awaken animals into humanoids. There are also extinct things like Moa and the Haast Eagle you could upscale (refluff Roc that hunts marine Dinosaurs). Vikings or some other lost wanderer would give more human races if wanted or maybe the awakened Birdmen won the war and enslaved or ate any humans.

Kea.
Smart tricksters. The Gnomes of the avian Zealandia. Probably +2 int +1 whatever. Live in alpine eras perhaps with constructs to do mining. Only metal working race perhaps.

Avians

Kakapo
Charismatic clowns. +2 charisma+ whatever.

Moa
The soldier bird men. +2 str+1 whatever

Haast Eagle Men.
Aaracokra perhaps.

Kiwi
Has Drow low light vision + advantage on perception involving smells. Perhaps the ruling caste in certain parts.

Tuatara

Tweak the 5E lizardmen.

One of the smarter species perhaps can have metal or obsidian so can do Aztec style obsidian swords and metal tipped spears+ one handed metal weapons perhaps of limited size.

Taniwha can be aquatic Dragons or refluffed aquatic Dinosaurs or whatever. The old 2E Barbarians Handbook has some suitable kits that could be done as prestige classes and there was an old Dragon article that had polynesian weapons.

Last edited:

You could mix and match your genres as well and go with some conspiracy theory/lost world stuff.

Add some Dinosaurs or refluff into giant Tuatara. Perhaps some Vikings have reached here and some race of ancients or whatever used magic to awaken animals into humanoids. There are also extinct things like Moa and the Haast Eagle you could upscale (refluff Roc that hunts marine Dinosaurs). Vikings or some other lost wanderer would give more human races if wanted or maybe the awakened Birdmen won the war and enslaved or ate any humans.

Kea.
Smart tricksters. The Gnomes of the avian Zealandia. Probably +2 int +1 whatever. Live in alpine eras perhaps with constructs to do mining. Only metal working race perhaps.

Avians

Kakapo
Charismatic clowns. +2 charisma+ whatever.

Moa
The soldier bird men. +2 str+1 whatever

Haast Eagle Men.
Aaracokra perhaps.

Kiwi
Has Drow low light vision + advantage on perception involving smells. Perhaps the ruling caste in certain parts.

Tuatara

Tweak the 5E lizardmen.

One of the smarter species perhaps can have metal or obsidian so can do Aztec style obsidian swords and metal tipped spears+ one handed metal weapons perhaps of limited size.

Taniwha can be aquatic Dragons or refluffed aquatic Dinosaurs or whatever. The old 2E Barbarians Handbook has some suitable kits that could be done as prestige classes and there was an old Dragon article that had polynesian weapons.

Those are some really good ideas!! I really like the one about Taniwha being aquatic dragons! Yeah definitely have dinosaurs in there. I also had the idea about metals being quite rare and in this setting as the idea of Zelandia being a very very remote place (or plane). I think the ideas of humans either being the evil ones in this setting could be a really good idea as they hunt the bird races for food and sport? .

Thank you kindly Zardnaar!

Zardnaar

Legend
Those are some really good ideas!! I really like the one about Taniwha being aquatic dragons! Yeah definitely have dinosaurs in there. I also had the idea about metals being quite rare and in this setting as the idea of Zelandia being a very very remote place (or plane). I think the ideas of humans either being the evil ones in this setting could be a really good idea as they hunt the bird races for food and sport? .

Thank you kindly Zardnaar!

Well you could have the bird races win.

Are you gonna use the NZ map, a fantasy map or the Zealandia "continent" as most people won't recognise it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zealandia

Being fantasy you could also do the whole living fossil thing. NZ is kinda old. 2 hour drive down the road.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curio_Bay

Last edited:

Well you could have the bird races win.

Are you gonna use the NZ map, a fantasy map or the Zealandia "continent" as most people won't recognise it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zealandia

Being fantasy you could also do the whole living fossil thing. NZ is kinda old. 2 hour drive down the road.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curio_Bay

I will be using a map shaped like New Zealand (hopefully done in part 2). Zelandia as I have been planning will be a very very remote set of 3 islands (based off north, south and Stuart islands) that will have 5 distinct playable races native to the area. 1. Tui race 2. kiwi race. 3. Kea 4. Kakapo (those 4 being sub-race of the Aarakocra) 5. Weta . As well as have unique creatures native to the land such as the Taniwha that could possible be a great water elemental that is a guardian of all water there in some sense. Also would like to include Tuatara as giant roaming dinosaurs and some other native species as monsters you battle.

Radaceus

Adventurer
Wapiti (red deer), and Tar (mountain goat), also totem houses (Marae) and their lore keepers (Whakapapa = tribal history)

Hello from the south island ;)

Remove ads