Zombie Rotter vs. Goblin Cutter

I'm planning / reviewing KOTS which I'm going to be running soon (PCs allowed to create their own characters, so they're not crippled). One encounter has Zombie Rotters [MM 274], which by MM are Level 3 Minions. I look at their stats and I have a LOT of trouble believing they are Level 3. Compare to the other high-use minion, the Goblin Cutter [MM 136].

ZR has AC 13, F 13, R 9, W 10. Its attack is +6 vs AC for 5.
GC has AC 16, F 12, R 14, W 11. Its attack is +5 vs AC for 4.

Would you really trade that much defense all for a simple +1 to attack and damage (don't forget the 2 speed difference too)? Yes, the ZR is immune disease and poison, but do you really expect your Level 1 characters to be doing poison damage or transmitting diseases?

For my campaign at least, I'm treating the ZRs as level 1 minions... they just seem way too weak to get 1.5 times the experience of the GC. The ZR doesn't even have Resist Necrotic!

Anyone care to argue that the ZR really is that much more powerful than the GC that it should be level 3?

Edit: Added MM page numbers

Last edited:

TimeOut

First Post
I don't have my KotS here (and I am currently a player in the module, so I rather don't want to read it again atm), so I am not sure... I think the Zombie Minions have a rather annyoing and dangerous grab ability?

TimeOut said:
I don't have my KotS here (and I am currently a player in the module, so I rather don't want to read it again atm), so I am not sure... I think the Zombie Minions have a rather annyoing and dangerous grab ability?

Sadly no, only "real" zombies (non-minions ones) have Grab.

TimeOut

First Post
infocynic said:
Sadly no, only "real" zombies (non-minions ones) have Grab.
Thats odd, but the consequence of guideline-based monster design. I have no idea what the intent of these minions is. :)

Maybe try to keep their stats the same and add the grab ability to them?

frankthedm

First Post
Looking at the DMG rules for adjusting monsters indicate Each level is worth +1 to AC, defenses and attack, along with +0.5 damage

frankthedm said:
Looking at the DMG rules for adjusting monsters indicate Each level is worth +1 to AC, defenses and attack, along with +0.5 damage

So the 2-levels-higher zombie has almost strictly worse defenses, although it does have +1 to attack (not +2) and +1 damage. Still not convinced it's level 3.

frankthedm

First Post
Then devolve it down to level one ;) and see if it feels like free XP.

Zombie schlub, level 1: AC 11, F 11, R 7, W 8. Its attack is +4 vs AC for 4.

Spatula

Explorer
This has been brought up before. The zombie rotter also compares very unfavorably with the decrepit skeleton, a level 1 minion. It's also higher level than a normal zombie (who are level 2), which is a little strange.

Remove ads