D&D 5E Zombies: Sink or Swim?

Do Zombies sink, walk, float or swim in water?

• Poll closed .

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Swim, but badly (unless aquatic). By the rules, all you need is Strength, and zombies have that, but their (hopefully temporary) existence as decomposing corpses impacts their buoyancy- I'd say that's disadvantage for sure.

At least they can't drown!

From a physical perspective, most zombies, as typically depicted, are too decayed to float, and the bits where gas could build up tend to be open. Moving around would also tend to burst anything like that.

So I gotta go with sink. The idea of swimming zombies also seems inherently dumb to me, but I don't generally like intelligent/competent zombies unless they're "zombie lord"-types.

Plus it's way scarier when something bursts out of the water rather than sort of bobbing along slowly and ridiculously (presumably doggy-paddling at most, no-one way any zombie can do an actual swimming stroke) for several minutes before it reaches you.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Zombies and Water

do they have air in their lungs? Does this make a difference? Are we going Pirates of the Caribbean walking on the floor bed? or walking dead floating mindlessly wherever the tide takes them.

This is all important for prepping on an island for your zombie-plan.
Sink, then wander on the bed as directed by the tides, currents, and terrain until they get deep enough that the water pressure squashes them to the point they fall apart and de-animate.

And what's this about air in their lungs? The better question to ask is whether they have any lungs left at all. :)

Remove ads