TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

A'koss

Explorer
JRRNeiklot said:
What kind of game where you playing?
Heh...AD&D, which clearly you don't remember much about...:lol:

At1d6 per 10 feet fallen, what 9d10 hit point fighter could survive a fall from orbit? And wasn't falling damage originally exponential? Ie, 1d6 for 10 feet, 2d6 for then next ten for a total of 3d6 for 20 feet?
Nope.

1d6/10', 20d6 max.

200,000 arrows = 1,000 hits on average, assuming you'd need a 20 to hit. What AD&D character can take 1,000 d6 damage?
Nope.

No N20 hits in AD&D.

And an armorless character in a medieval period is quite stupid, as he will be destroyed by the guy in armor, so I think it models it quiite well.
However, how many mythological and fantasy characters (that is, the kind of characters D&D is supposed to model) run around in nothing but their non-magical clothes or a simple loincloth *cough*Conan*cough*? ;)

Cheers!

A'koss.

A'koss

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
Never happened in any campaign I ever ran, and none of the DMs I knew allowed such stuff either. :confused:
Whoa, I didn't realize I was such a rebel AD&D player! :p

I could have sworn there were even Dragon mag articles about how to run monsters as characters. I guess my "Elementar" PC race wouldn't have gone over well at your table then. ;)

Of course there were those young power gamers who took my April Fools' joke character class, the Ultimist seriously and asked for more details :lol:
I must have missed that one. I know I didn't miss many others... I know we used to run a whole bunch of "NPC" classes in our games way back when. The Duelist (which, by the way, was a personal favorite), the Anti-Paladin, the Archer, the revised Monk, the Death Master, even the whole half ogre!

Cheers!

A'koss.

Ranes

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Howdy!

The comparison is innacurate, I think. the same could be said of virtually any RPG where the character is assumed to be well above the average person. There is a much different temper behing the two genres, of course, as there is between each different RPG genrs.

Fair point. It's funny how things turn out, given my response to my friend twenty odd years ago, but it's why, I have to say, 3e hits the nail on the head, for me.

Happy to answer...

Thank you, governor, for such a considered response.

I am very grateful for the pointers you've given me and will look into all of the material to which you've referred. I should say though, that I encountered the G-D-Q series as soon as they appeared in print, though my character (along with the rest of the party) - the best I ever had - met his demise in D1, IIRC, so no Q1 for me. I recently managed to re-acquire that set and I've been thoroughly enjoying the read (whatever the edition, your idiosyncratic writing style is unique and wonderful).

Sorry for not responding earlier but RL rudely interupted my ENW surfing.

All the best.

Last edited:

JRRNeiklot

First Post
A'koss]Heh...AD&D, which clearly you don't remember much about...:lol:

Bah, I still play 1e.

1d6/10', 20d6 max.

I must be thinking of C&C.

N20 hits in AD&D.

Actually, you're wrong. But it's a 2nd edition rule. Regardless, almost every game I ever played in had this house rule in 1e.

However, how many mythological and fantasy characters (that is, the kind of characters D&D is supposed to model) run around in nothing but their non-magical clothes or a simple loincloth *cough*Conan*cough*? ;)

Yeah, well, when you have an 18/00 strength and a 100 hit points, who needs armor? Conan is an exception. Very few characters have stats like his.

I'm just saying that in my games, we never survived "falls from orbit."
And the standard AD&D game was based on a mileu where if you didn't wear armor, you didn't last long fighting someone who did. There's nothing wrong with a renaissance type campaign where most peple don't wear armor, but both archetypes don't work well together. That's why featherweights don't fight heavyweights.

Anyways, I'll stop here and not clutter up Gary's thread any more. If you want to hash this out some more, feel free to open a new thread.

Ranes

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
How about this:

A 15th level PC in AD&D requires years of gaming, and when arriving at thay level the character is generally retired.

Oh, I just have to respond here. I do agree in as much as I think the attainment of high level should be a reward for those who invest a long, long time playing. In my current campaign (which has slowed down this year due to that darned RL thing), my players have taken three years to achieve 7th level. The rapid advancement paradigm of the new edition is the one thing about it I don't like. As other posters have pointed out, this can be metered by careful DMing, my definition of which amounts to high PC mortality.

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
A'koss said:
Whoa, I didn't realize I was such a rebel AD&D player! :p
All I can say is...

AARGH! Blasphemy :lol:

I once allowed someone's subdued and charmed ogre servant to become a werebear-ogre after it was bitten but survived a fight with a werebear, and that was pretty much the omega of that sort of thing :uhoh:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ranes said:
Thank you, governor, for such a considered response.

All the best.
Welcome certainly!

I coulf have expounded further biut thought I should give my fingers a rest and your eyes a bread :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JRRNeiklot said:
Bah, I still play 1e.

As far as falling damage goes I revised the damage to 1d6 per 10' per 10', so that it went 1, 3, 6, 10, 15 d6 at 50' distance. All the munchkins howled at the progression...as if the Law of Gravity doesn't dictatE accelleration of a falling body :uhoh:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ranes said:
Oh, I just have to respond here. I do agree in as much as I think the attainment of high level should be a reward for those who invest a long, long time playing. In my current campaign (which has slowed down this year due to that darned RL thing), my players have taken three years to achieve 7th level. The rapid advancement paradigm of the new edition is the one thing about it I don't like. As other posters have pointed out, this can be metered by careful DMing, my definition of which amounts to high PC mortality.
Of the core rule books are adhered to, they being assumed to dictate what is "good DMing, then rapid progression and Epic Level PCs with superheroic feats and all that goes with them are the norm.

As for reward for gaining high level in AD&D, this is a function of the accolades given by the DM and fellow players ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads