• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Random maps?

Does anyone know of a program--freeware is better, but I'd be willing to pay if the results were good--that creates random city maps? How about random terrain/wilderness? I've seen random dungeon generators, but never the other two. (And these must truly be random, not just a selection from an archive.)

The maps created have to be of usable quality, and there must be no licensing restrictions on how those maps are used, so long as proper credit is given.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
They are shareware, but have you tried the MapMage series of programs? They have programs for everything - dungeons, cities, villages, outdoors, buildings, caves, etc.

www.mapmage.com

(I don't have any of them myself, though I've tried the demos. I do use their freeware name generator a lot)

Hmm...

The demos are pretty nice, but their use is limited without being able to change the random seed--and the quality of the maps themselves is too low to inspire me to shell out real money for the full versions. :(

I do appreciate the pointer, though. :) Any others?

Glyfair

Explorer
Not free, but CC2 will do random streets for cities and random dungeons.

Still, if you are looking for free, it's probably more expensive than you'd be willing to go.

Glyfair said:
Not free, but CC2 will do random streets for cities and random dungeons.

Still, if you are looking for free, it's probably more expensive than you'd be willing to go.

*blink*

Really? I have an old version of CC2--got it from a friend who didn't want it anymore--and I never knew it could do any random features.

How complete are the random maps?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Mouseferatu said:
Hmm...

The demos are pretty nice, but their use is limited without being able to change the random seed--and the quality of the maps themselves is too low to inspire me to shell out real money for the full versions. :(
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I never bought them, either. Though I do think they compare favorably (at least graphically) to Campaign Cartographer maps. (But then I don't really like those...)

Glyfair

Explorer
Mouseferatu said:
*blink*

Really? I have an old version of CC2--got it from a friend who didn't want it anymore--and I never knew it could do any random features.

How complete are the random maps?

The street builder is from City Designer. It only does single streets (putting random buildings on the street).

I haven't played around much with the Dungeon builder. I'm not sure when it was added (I recently upgraded to CC2 pro when my local gaming store had Dioramas for $5). It's not amazing, but if you're looking for an old school feel, it would be fine. To build them you choose an area and it populates it.

Both are part of the expansions (City Designer does streets, Dungeon Designer does dungeons).

Last edited:

Remove ads