TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Brooklyn Red Leg said:
*prods haakon1 with his bayonet*

Hmmm, I like the user name. If you mean the New Yorkers and the Wisconsinites both were also called the Black Hat Brigade, in addition to being the Iron Brigade, well, that's just plain silly.

There better not be two Irish Brigades, or two Fighting 69ths! :]

genshou

First Post
I already expressed my birthday wishes and thanks in the other thread just a moment ago, but let's go into overkill!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR. GYGAX!

Treebore

First Post
Gary,

How do I go about making sure whether or not a word/name of a metal in your World Builders book is open content or not? It isn't specifically listed in the OGL declarations but it may be included under the general statements.

My wife created a metal just like that but we never had a name for it. So I just want to use it if possible and I/we actually get our adventure published. Its on page 107, Xagium. Plus it appears to be a variant of your name, at least when pronounced.

If it isn't OGL can I have your permission to use it in my module submissions? If I can, who do I contact to get legal proof of your permission?

I've already said it, so I'll just say I hope your birthday was a very pleasant one with a great game, or five, having been played today.

Brooklyn Red Leg

First Post
haakon1 said:
Hmmm, I like the user name. If you mean the New Yorkers and the Wisconsinites both were also called the Black Hat Brigade, in addition to being the Iron Brigade, well, that's just plain silly.

No, no. But the first Iron Brigade was named such before the Westerners acquired it. Thats how they are distinguished from Gibbon's Black Hat Brigade at the time. The name comes from a contraction of 14th Brooklyn and Red Legged Devil, which is what Stonewall Jackson called them at 1st Bull Run: 'Here come those red legged devils from Brooklyn'. The 14th just took it as their nom de guerre, and are usually called the 14th Brooklyn Red Legs, sometimes by their very commanders!

Just as an aside, the uniform type was a French Chasseur-a-pede (Hunter of Foot) from the Crimean War, not a Zouave. Unlike most units, the 14th was issued their uniform through the duration of their enlistment (they refused to wear the blue uniform even during fatigue duty).

There better not be two Irish Brigades, or two Fighting 69ths!

Hehe, you might hate me then, because (though Im not certain) there was a Confederate Irish Brigade. Also, the Fighting epithet was earned by many, many regiments (over 150 IIRC at last count), including the 14th Brooklyn, 6th Wisconsin (IIRC) and a number of others. ;)

riprock

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Howdy Riprock,

Just a handful of comments in response to yur long post:)

Sorry about the excessive length. I really should have tackled the notion of why gamers love addictive games first. Robin Laws' theory of Skinnerian design is a second issue.

Col_Pladoh said:
Who says that some amount of power-gaming is wring? Personally, I believe it is a lot more exciting in the campaign than is endless amateur theater :\

Power-gaming is fun! I just try not to get so deeply into it that I take it too far.

Col_Pladoh said:
As a FYI, I believe the passage from the Blackmoor supplement you attribute to Dave Arneson was composed by Tim Kask, for tim extensively developed and edited the work.

That's good to know. I was struck by the fact that people who praise a game commonly call it "addictive" -- the usage has spread to the computer gaming community.

The whole addiction phenomenon seemed like a good point for analysis ... possibly I need to be able to analyze more concisely. :eek:

Col_Pladoh said:
As for the rewards of an RPG campaign, I believe they are more related to group interaction and discussion after play sessions than to some vague theory related to story telling. After the group completes a cam paign story, their discussion of events, and recounting them to other players outside their group, seems to me to be the most cherished reward, other than those special victories or acquisitions gained by their own game character ;)

So that recounting of the story, and the group interaction, are factors which are entirely missing from Robin Laws' theory.

Thanks for the insight. Sorry about the post length.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JoeBlank said:
Did not know you had started him so young. My boys are now ages 8, 6, and 4, but all have had a birthday in the months since we started playing. The youngest even manages to get the idea.

As you did with Alex, I make certain that the odds are in the favor of their mighty heros. There is plenty of time to teach them grim 'n gritty and the thrill of rolling up a new PC mid-session.
Heh...

Alex was at ut RPG sessions at at age when he could duck under the dining table and pster the players for some of the gamer food they brought :lol:

He got serious about RPGs when he was about 11, and is not serious about cmputer gaming and girls...and drifting :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Treebore said:
Gary,

How do I go about making sure whether or not a word/name of a metal in your World Builders book is open content or not? It isn't specifically listed in the OGL declarations but it may be included under the general statements.

My wife created a metal just like that but we never had a name for it. So I just want to use it if possible and I/we actually get our adventure published. Its on page 107, Xagium. Plus it appears to be a variant of your name, at least when pronounced.

If it isn't OGL can I have your permission to use it in my module submissions? If I can, who do I contact to get legal proof of your permission?

I've already said it, so I'll just say I hope your birthday was a very pleasant one with a great game, or five, having been played today.
Heh,

What isn't OGL in the book is copyright of Trigee Enterprises Company, All rights reserved, as I believe is said in the book ;)

Xagium is a deravitive of my surname, crtainly. If you will email me I am pretty sure that Trigee won't object to the use of the name for a metal in something you publish...aslong as the copyright doesn't go so another game designer/publisher.

ggygax@genevaonline.com

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads