Microlite20 : the smallest thing in gaming

greywulf

First Post
....and it's available for immediate download, here (321k .pdf). Info page on the Macropedia will be forthcoming shortly, but this is too darned good to hold back.

Darrell, I've skim read it (yes, I do read that fast :) ), and it's perfect for what we need - lots of fluff, low crunch and just enough info to spark ideas. I love the pantheon, especially. Nice work!

Darrell

First Post
greywulf said:
....and it's available for immediate download, here (321k .pdf). Info page on the Macropedia will be forthcoming shortly, but this is too darned good to hold back.

Darrell, I've skim read it (yes, I do read that fast :) ), and it's perfect for what we need - lots of fluff, low crunch and just enough info to spark ideas. I love the pantheon, especially. Nice work!

Thanks! :D Glad you like it!

Can't wait to see what kind of 'musculature' gets added to the 'skeleton' I wrote up. :)

The pantheon, incidentally, is one I've been working on off and on for several years. I've been trying to cover most of the 'traditional' areas of deific influence using as few gods as possible. One of the things I dislike most about Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, and the other established settings is the enormous proliferation of gods. Scarred Lands, I thought, had it down early on (nine gods, one for each alignment), but then they added on their own minor deities, quasi-deities, and all that rot. So, I thought I'd make my own set. :) I think I've covered the various spheres of influence well enough.

If anyone is interested, I've also written them up in 3.5e/d20 format. If ya want to take a look at 'em, e-mail me at rev_sims 'at' yahoo 'dot' com, and I'll send you the write-up.

Regards,
Darrell

Last edited:

kensanata

Explorer
Initiative

Another question: I find that initiative rules are overly complicated. When combat starts, the two sides can roll for initiative. But every single combatant rolling for initiative every single round!? Is there a microlite solution out there?

greywulf

First Post
kensanata said:
But every single combatant rolling for initiative every single round!? Is there a microlite solution out there?

They do? Wow. Not in my games they don't, regardless of system. I really ought to read the rules more :)

We roll once at the start of combat. As DM, I roll for each monster. Sometimes I just make one roll for them all, or split them into groups. Depends on how complex the critters are, really.

If anyone (or anything) enters combat late, they roll initiative and enter the fray when it's their turn. The only time initiative is re-rolled once combat start is if something big causes everyone to pause mid-flow. That's happened a few times; in one game, a major villain was killed, and everyone parted in silence for a minute out of respect, then the combat resumed with new initiative rolls. Oh, and there's a spell out there somewhere which forces everyone to re-roll initiative. I forget which rpg system though. Man, I'd forget my memory if it wasn't....um.... what was I saying?

Oh yes. Initiative.

Roll it once at the start of combat. The end.

kensanata

Explorer
greywulf said:
Roll it once at the start of combat. The end.

Maybe my players remembered something like that from AD&D 2nd ed, the last system we played. It turns out that I use initiative just like you do. Usually I lump them together, unless there's a particular reason to single one of the critters out… Now that I know I'm no longer alone, I feel better. ;)

greywulf

First Post
kensanata said:
Maybe my players remembered something like that from AD&D 2nd ed, the last system we played. It turns out that I use initiative just like you do. Usually I lump them together, unless there's a particular reason to single one of the critters out… Now that I know I'm no longer alone, I feel better. ;)

Ick. That's bad. 2nd edition was.....well, I'm banned from saying what I think of it because of the forum rules. Let's leave it at that.

This doc summarises the Initiative rules from AD&D. It's genuinely scary.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

kensanata

Explorer
greywulf said:
This doc summarises the Initiative rules from AD&D. It's genuinely scary.

Gah, another garbled document. Interestingly enough, the footnotes are perfectly legible. It's the main text that is garbled. How annoying… I will pull out my AD&D 2nd ed PHB and look it up in there.

Ry

Explorer
Hmm...

Having had several days to think about it, I'm becoming convinced that my attempt to "keep things simple" by making everything about magic a modifier in Rank20 actually made things more difficult than if I had used a simple subsystem (like the Open Magic idea).

I think I'm going to try to write up a By5 magic system today. And can we start calling that system By5? I think it's more descriptive than Open Magic.

Remove ads