Microlite20 : the smallest thing in gaming

WSmith

First Post
greywulf said:
And you never will. I swear on my first character's grave (a scout in Traveller, circa 1977. Died in the first combat).

Lucky! At least your first charcater made it to a combat. My first Traveller charcater died during character creation! ;)

For all those mentioning AD&D initiative; trust me. Close the ADDICT file, put down the book, and step away from the computer slowly! If I and the many other 1st editon scholars cannot come to a consensus about how initiative is supposed to work after decades of debate, it will do nothing but take this very productive microlite20 thread on a hijacked rollercoaster ride that will leave you feeling like mugging victim. ;) The simple answer is roll a d6 for each side every round with the higher winning. That is all you need to remember. The rest will give you cold sweats in the middle of the night. ;)

Saying all that, I am going to have INIT rolled once per round on a d12 with DEX added. That is just my kooky way of doing things. :)

I am actually toying with the idea of ditching initiative all together. In all RPGs. Period. Crazy as it sounds, it tempts me.

Anyway, I like fighters to stand out. Makes them mo better at killing stuff. :)

I am going to find my XP chart I posted here that goes along with my 100 XP / HD OD&D method for submission to the Macropedia.

WSmith

First Post
Some stuff that you might want to add to the macropedia:

Conversion of 1st edition material to M20:

Armor Class = 20 - Text AC. So an AC of 4 in the module would be an AC of 16 in M20.

Saving throws would be converted to
  • Paralyzation, Poison, Death Magic = STR + Phys
  • Petrification / Polymorph = STR + Phys
  • Rod, Staff, Wand = DEX + Knowledge
  • Breath Weapon = DEX + Phys
  • Spells = Mind + Knowledge

Alternative Experience Point system:

Characters earn 100 experience points (XP) per HD of defeated monster. To increase in level, use the following chart.

Level / XP required:

Add 120,000 XP for each level above 9th.

kensanata

Explorer
Multiple Attacks

Ok, so all classes can have multiple attacks if their attack bonus is high enough. Now, pick a monster from a d20 source, such as the bearded devil with glaive+9 (1d10+4). Does he use glaive+9/+4 or just glaive+9?

In yesterday's session I let the devil use glaive+9/+4 against my group of three 2nd and 3rd level player characters, plus their support group of three fighter-5 and two fighter-1 NPCs...

The mage and the two fighter-1 NPCs were the only ones not to be lying on the floor and slowly bleeding to death at the end of this fight. But a group of healers is standing ready at the temple gate, so help is on its way. :)

greywulf

First Post
Thanks Ry. I've prettified it up'n'stuff. I also added that that Reserve gets reset back to equal the MIND stat when a new level is reached. Any usused Reserve Points are lost. If that doesn't suit, please feel free to change it.

That gives a completely average character 10 RPs each level - one per encounter, roughly. That sounds about right on paper, but most characters are going to be higher than that, and Magi are likely to have lots to spend. That might work though. I'll playtest this next session (tomorrow) and see it that works.

Blast, I just remembered that Ultramicrolite20 doesn't have a MIND stat, only bonuses. I'll think about how to fix that later. And I'll add the good Mr Smith's AD&D conversion too. Good work! I plan to take my players through the classic D&D modules using M20 at some point, and this will prove invaluable.

Now though, I gott fly!

greywulf

First Post
kensanata said:
In yesterday's session I let the devil use glaive+9/+4 against my group of three 2nd and 3rd level player characters, plus their support group of three fighter-5 and two fighter-1 NPCs...

I've played them as written. If the statblock says they just get +9, then it's just +9 (and no other attack). If they have a full attack at +9/+4 then that's what they gets. Less to think about for the DM that way.

As a rough rule of the thumb, my groups thinks that an M20 combat round feels about 3 seconds long. You'll never hear me admit it in public though.When creating your own monsters, if you think the Bug Ugly Brute can hit twice in that time, let him. If not, then he doesn't.

Does that help?

Now I really gotta go!

kensanata

Explorer
Initiative

WSmith said:
I am actually toying with the idea of ditching initiative all together. In all RPGs. Period. Crazy as it sounds, it tempts me.

This sounds like the path of microlite resistance! I think that's what I'll do.

When one group surprises the other, they start, with players and NPCs alternating. If players need more guidance, let them act in order of their DEX. As a GM, I won't bother for the bad guys.

If there's no surprise, use reach (arm size or weapon size) or DEX as a guide, or both sides roll a dice and the higher one begins.

kensanata

Explorer
Saving Throws

WSmith said:
Saving throws would be converted …

I posted this to the StatConversion page, but I think it is lacking a DC. What's it going to be: 10 + caster level + caster MIND bonus? That's what the CoreRules say.

But the CoreRulesRevised no longer have that passage:

To hit evading enemies, add the magic attack bonus to a d20 roll. If equal or higher than your opponent’s AC, it’s a hit. To enchanting unwilling opponents, 1d20 + magic attack bonus must be higher than 1d20 + level + MIND bonus of the opponent.

I think to best emulate the old saving throw feature, I need to add something – either DC = 10 + caster level + caster MIND bonus, or (simpler) DC = 20. What do you prefer, WSmith?

Remove ads