Dragonmarked

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
I've searched through the Detail thread and did not find this change. So, as it stands, 3 YES votes cement a proposal.

We can propose a change in another thread. Can't be retroactive, however.

If someone wants to be nice to RA, they can revoke their vote for the time being. :)
All I know is that if these pass, I will be rendered incompetent to judge any future material, as the balance of new material is predicate on what old material is allowed, so my ability to judge new material requires that I am familiar with all material currently extant in the setting.

Oh, and I just noticed--Happy Birthday by the way ;)

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
All I know is that if these pass, I will be rendered incompetent to judge any future material, as the balance of new material is predicate on what old material is allowed, so my ability to judge new material requires that I am familiar with all material currently extant in the setting.

That's why we have other judges. You don't need to bear all the burden of approving things. Honesly, saying No because 3 other judges said yes because you can't check everything seems... well, not what the system is designed for.

Bront

The man with the probe
Moggthegob said:
I will laos propose dragonmakr visionary and itsspells at later date but i think it can waitu ntul having a greater mark is even possible.
Please remove anythign that wasn't in the initial proposal, and add those to a new proposal elsewhere.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
That's why we have other judges. You don't need to bear all the burden of approving things. Honesly, saying No because 3 other judges said yes because you can't check everything seems... well, not what the system is designed for.
No, you don't understand. It means I can never judge any future material. If we let in substantial material of which I have no clue, I'm rendered permanently incompetent to judge.

Here's an example--I know there's something somewhere in this very book that, in a horrifingly broken and stupid move, makes a Dragonmarked character immune to being, I believe Dazed. And there are other things that give you something powerful in exchange for being Dazed. Let's say I own the book with the second set of things but don't know what's in Dragonmarked. I can't competently judge the second thing because I don't know about the first!

Bront

The man with the probe
Rystil Arden said:
No, you don't understand. It means I can never judge any future material. If we let in substantial material of which I have no clue, I'm rendered permanently incompetent to judge.

Here's an example--I know there's something somewhere in this very book that, in a horrifingly broken and stupid move, makes a Dragonmarked character immune to being, I believe Dazed. And there are other things that give you something powerful in exchange for being Dazed. Let's say I own the book with the second set of things but don't know what's in Dragonmarked. I can't competently judge the second thing because I don't know about the first!
Well, none of us have consistant access to previous books and some not at all, all the judges will have that problem eventualy.

I'm borrowing books to do the approval, so I can't always refer back to them.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Rystil Arden said:
I wouldn't say incompetent, but I understand your issue. However, that is going to be an issue whenever we add content, and the reason we have the 6 month rule.

We could add a stipulation to proposals that some majority of the judges have the source material, though that would still leave those w/o in the lurch. In addition, if a judge w/o access to the text wants an item quoted to them, either an Amazon/Google book search or an email from another judge could help ameliorate this.

I don't believe anyone is trying to shut anyone out of the process, and I'd like to makes sure that we all can judge effectively *while* still allowing Eberron content to be added.

Rystil Arden said:
Thanks!

Rystil Arden

First Post
Bront said:
Well, none of us have consistant access to previous books and some not at all, all the judges will have that problem eventualy.

I'm borrowing books to do the approval, so I can't always refer back to them.
That...does nor boost my confidence in your approval of this stuff, you know :p

I'm actually fairly serious about my YES vote to material. If I vote YES on something, here or in LEW, that means I am saying that I find this okay, and you can hold me accountable if the material is bad or messes up the game.

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
I wouldn't say incompetent, but I understand your issue. However, that is going to be an issue whenever we add content, and the reason we have the 6 month rule.

We could add a stipulation to proposals that some majority of the judges have the source material, though that would still leave those w/o in the lurch. In addition, if a judge w/o access to the text wants an item quoted to them, either an Amazon/Google book search or an email from another judge could help ameliorate this.

I don't believe anyone is trying to shut anyone out of the process, and I'd like to makes sure that we all can judge effectively *while* still allowing Eberron content to be added.

Thanks!
Can you send me the Dragonmarked things that are about to be approved? I'm seriously going to judge myself unfit to judge.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Rystil Arden said:
Can you send me the Dragonmarked things that are about to be approved? I'm seriously going to judge myself unfit to judge.
I'll get to it tonight (thought I'm obviously a little busy :)).

Rystil Arden

First Post
Considering its abilities, Blade of Orien granting full BAB is rather strong. I don't think any fighting-type Fighter or Barbarian d'Orien character would ever want to take their base class instead of it (Swift Leap Pounce Barbarians are scary!). On the other hand, there is an implicit requirement that you have to be a half-elf, so it's probably okay.

I'm going to assume you mean it gives the Blindfight feat and not Blindsight for Cyre Scout. If you actually mean it gives Blindsight as a feat, we need to quickly change someone's vote to disallow it, as Blindsight at level 6 is crazy, even if it costs a feat.

Orien Battle Stride looks like it isn't on the table yet, which is good--I can't believe it also gives +4 to all those checks in addition to the other ability. Just the 5 foot step is already massive.

I particularly oppose the Vigour spells as written, which I think everyone already knows. This will be an issue for the Dragonmark Adept feat.

Ray of Retaliation is *really really really really really* strong. Why does it automatically succeed? Why is it an Immediate action? Against Polar Ray, it's almost better than Spell Turning.

The others look fine--the broken feat I was particularly worried about was not on this list (whew!)

Last edited:

Remove ads