Dragonmarked

Solange

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Considering its abilities, Blade of Orien granting full BAB is rather strong. I don't think any fighting-type Fighter or Barbarian d'Orien character would ever want to take their base class instead of it (Swift Leap Pounce Barbarians are scary!). On the other hand, there is an implicit requirement that you have to be a half-elf, so it's probably okay.
Isn't House Orien human?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Solange said:
Isn't House Orien human?
Oops, I mixed them up with Lyrander--darn it, humans are a strong race, they don't need this. In fact, the feat cost of the Dragonmarks hurts humans least of all.

I can't think of any circumstance where a Barbarian 16 will stand up mechanically to a Barbarian 6/BladeOfOrien10 unless that straight Barbarian has found some rather incredible feats to replace the ones the Blade of Orien spent on the Dragonmarks.

Last edited:

Moggthegob

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Oops, I mixed them up with Lyrander--darn it, humans are a strong race, they don't need this. In fact, the feat cost of the Dragonmarks hurts humans least of all.

I can't think of any circumstance where a Barbarian 16 will stand up mechanically to a Barbarian 6/BladeOfOrien10 unless that straight Barbarian has found some rather incredible feats to replace the ones the Blade of Orien spent on the Dragonmarks.
I beg to differ as a barbarian 16 you need alot of your feats to be an excellent damage source. Of course in LEB they do not have access to alot of the feats that allow them to do that.
YOu may have something of a point about fighter but even still as a character you have to specialize and be a member of the house and have two feats invested in being a member. A barbarian 6 going into that probably has power attack and thats it. Maybe one other feat. No having cleave and great cleave. No improved sunder and Improved bull rush or overrun. No(though illegal at this point ithink) Shock Trooper or Combat Brute.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Moggthegob said:
I beg to differ as a barbarian 16 you need alot of your feats to be an excellent damage source. Of course in LEB they do not have access to alot of the feats that allow them to do that.
YOu may have something of a point about fighter but even still as a character you have to specialize and be a member of the house and have two feats invested in being a member. A barbarian 6 going into that probably has power attack and thats it. Maybe one other feat. No having cleave and great cleave. No improved sunder and Improved bull rush or overrun. No(though illegal at this point ithink) Shock Trooper or Combat Brute.
Oh, going into the class is very different than coming out of it, though, I think. And you're right that some of the more powerful/abusive tactical feats aren't legal yet--as I said, I judge things based on what we currently have available ;)

But even after/if we add abusive charge feats beloved by all Barbarians, the Blade of Orien actually grows even more powerful. But just to even things at all levels of play (starting at 6 just entering the PrC), let's compare Barbarian4/Fighter2/BladeOfOrien10 to Barbarian 16--the two Fighter levels allow the Blade of Orien to take whatever two feats the Barbarian 16 took while the Blade of Orien was grabbing the Dragonmarks.

Moggthegob

First Post
Also, that barbarian is giving up his more powerful rages and ailties to have increased mobility. Sure rage is cool, but greater rage is spectacular. The blade of Orien misses out on that

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Rystil Arden said:
Considering its abilities, Blade of Orien granting full BAB is rather strong. I don't think any fighting-type Fighter or Barbarian d'Orien character would ever want to take their base class instead of it (Swift Leap Pounce Barbarians are scary!).
Bbns are loosing out on greater rage and large number of hit points (d8 vs d12 a diff of 30 hp, more when you consider the Brb DR 4/- and +6 Con Greater rage). Fighters loose the hps and plenty of feats. Both loose good Fort saves. The Blade is more of a skirmisher than a tank.

Rystil Arden said:
I'm going to assume you mean it gives the Blindfight feat and not Blindsight for Cyre Scout. If you actually mean it gives Blindsight as a feat, we need to quickly change someone's vote to disallow it, as Blindsight at level 6 is crazy, even if it costs a feat.
That is correct---it grants the Blindfight feat or reduces the miss chance more if you already have it.

Rystil Arden said:
I particularly oppose the Vigour spells as written, which I think everyone already knows. This will be an issue for the Dragonmark Adept feat.
Its one of the options; someone could suggest the other. And remember, unlike the spell, it cannot be metamagiced and its CL does not increase as fast.

Rystil Arden said:
Ray of Retaliation is *really really really really really* strong. Why does it automatically succeed? Why is it an Immediate action? Against Polar Ray, it's almost better than Spell Turning.
The returned damage is based upon the reflector's CL, not the caster of polar ray. A 3rd lvl PC could deflect disintegrate this way. I'm going to retract my vote until more thought done.

The following have been approved:
- Blade of Orien
- Cyre Scout
- Quicken Dragonmark
- DragonMark Battle Strike
- Fortify Dragonmark
- Mask Abberant Dragonmark
- Ignite Dragonmark
- Dancing Dragonmark

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Rystil Arden said:
But even after/if we add abusive charge feats beloved by all Barbarians, the Blade of Orien actually grows even more powerful.
The dimensional leaping ability does not count as a charge, so none of the charge feats apply. It does count as movement, so skirmish applies for scouts.

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
The dimensional leaping ability does not count as a charge, so none of the charge feats apply. It does count as movement, so skirmish applies for scouts.
Hmm...but it does allow them to get more than full attack worth of attacks in a round, right? Like they attack once, then leap, then full attack. Or worse, if they Quicken it with Quicken Dragonmark, they full attack, then leap, then full attack again, or perhaps leap with a Swift action and full attack, then leap with a move action and full attack, then leap with a move action again and full attack.

Also note that the ability to jump in and always get a full attack on enemies that try to move out to prevent it and then often stop the enemy from themselves getting a full attack with the not-ye-approved feat is rather abusive, and since both are for Orien, this is a combo you're likely to see if the feat is allowed.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
The returned damage is based upon the reflector's CL, not the caster of polar ray. A 3rd lvl PC could deflect disintegrate this way. I'm going to retract my vote until more thought done.

I just remembered, I was inaccurate when I said it was 'almost as good as Spell Turning against Polar Ray'. It is actually better by far than Spell Turning against Polar Ray. Because Spell Turning doesn't work against Polar Ray, but this 2nd-level spell does! The same is true for the dreaded Energy Drain / Enervation (though admittedly those two can be stopped by Death Ward, but still--"I, Vol, have achieved the pinnacle of power. Now it is time to DIE! Energy Drain!" "Dude, I'm just a 4th-level Sorcerer, but you're so totally eating 2d6 Force Damage instead of that working on me. And that was your turn. Now it's mine. I can do this until you run out of 9th-level spell slots, you know.")

Last edited:

Remove ads