Dragonmarked

Erekose13

Explorer
do you have an excel sheet already created to run these computations? or do you make it up on the fly when you need hard numbers?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Erekose13 said:
do you have an excel sheet already created to run these computations? or do you make it up on the fly when you need hard numbers?
I use a Calculator or do it in my head. But I didn't get the math wrong--I did the math right. I entered the wrong numbers. The miscalculation in question was that I got confused because the dragon started out able to hit her with all attacks attacks except on a 1, but I forgot that after raising AC by 5 (for instance), it could still hit her except on a 1 with the claws, though the the others needed a 6. I just treated it as if all the attacks needed a 6. That's actually rather substantial when it comes down to the difference between needing a 17 or a 12 on those claws.

Erekose13

Explorer
I was hoping for a tool that I could use, I'm not as fast with my math. Maybe I'll have to work something up in Excel. With that I'm quite proficient.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Erekose13 said:
I was hoping for a tool that I could use, I'm not as fast with my math. Maybe I'll have to work something up in Excel. With that I'm quite proficient.
Ah. I guess I just have a knack for probabilities. If you'd like to know how to do it fast, you can use the expected value to calculate average damage in almost all cases, but you can't do so with Orien Battle Stride because of the 'miss breaks the chain' thing, so you have to get fancier and do (chance-to-hit1 * first-damage + chance to hit1 * chance-to-hit2 * second-damage + etc...). By the time you get to the last attack, the chance of the full attack making it that far becomes vanishingly small in most cases.

Moggthegob

First Post
Hmm, what about as another fix the +4's with the ability to ignore rough terrain a number of times based on the chart in the feat itself. Useful yet not as overpowering

Rystil Arden

First Post
Moggthegob said:
Hmm, what about as another fix the +4's with the ability to ignore rough terrain a number of times based on the chart in the feat itself. Useful yet not as overpowering
Ignoring Rough Terrain is neat without being overpowering, and it also fits with the nature of the Orien-type stuff. It's quite strong, but it isn't way out there. I'd be cool with that.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
I just want to double check that we are all on the same page regarding the feat (something I missed the first but E13 caught):
- It allows you to take one 5ft step as an immediate action if an attack misses. Thus, you can do it once a round, a not every time someone misses

Is that everyone's understanding? I just re-read the feat to make sure.

Rystil Arden

First Post
stonegod said:
I just want to double check that we are all on the same page regarding the feat (something I missed the first but E13 caught):
- It allows you to take one 5ft step as an immediate action if an attack misses. Thus, you can do it once a round, a not every time someone misses

Is that everyone's understanding? I just re-read the feat to make sure.
That is my understanding. My assumption is that you are only facing a single opponent who is attacking you each round for the example (this is usually a fair assumption, even with multiple enemies, unless you're facing hordes of mooks), but in my example, I did indeed work it as an Immediate action.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Rystil Arden said:
That is my understanding. My assumption is that you are only facing a single opponent who is attacking you each round for the example (this is usually a fair assumption, even with multiple enemies, unless you're facing hordes of mooks), but in my example, I did indeed work it as an Immediate action.
Then I assume you also factored in the dragon's reach w/ the most favorable condition for the Orien scion (though not if they want to be in melee): At the end of its 15ft reach, so the single 5' step gets it out of range of everything except the bite. I would assume the number changes significantly if the scion was at 10ft or closer (and thus could not move out of the dragon's reach).

Remove ads