TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

LordHavok

First Post
Crying shame huh? I guess some people don't realize what RPG's are about. Relaxation and a chance to spend time together as either family or friends...or even to make friends and possible family.

One other question if you don't mind Gary.

What did you think about the D&D movie?

(okay 2 questions)

It's generally assumed by many that most RPGers are young to college age, but do you have an estimate, or have you ever read about the number of players (lets say of D&D) there are over age 50?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
LordHavok said:
Crying shame huh? I guess some people don't realize what RPG's are about. Relaxation and a chance to spend time together as either family or friends...or even to make friends and possible family.

Ho, M'Lord!

Most regular groups are indeed comradely and appreciate the chance for fellowship that the game sessions offer. I've had many an email and personal conversation regarding that matter, the lasting friendships arising from gaming, and even a few happy marriages.

One other question if you don't mind Gary.

What did you think about the D&D movie?

Were it a pure fantasy film it would have been laughably campy. As it pretended to be something else. it was a wretched disaster. The special effects were fair. Nothing else in the whole film was up to that measure, fair. the sets were marginal. The plot, script, direction, acting, and costumes were awful.

(okay 2 questions)

It's generally assumed by many that most RPGers are young to college age, but do you have an estimate, or have you ever read about the number of players (lets say of D&D) there are over age 50?

Getting accurate data for the RPG audience is virtually impossible bacause the majority of participants are not magazine subscribers nor active online. The players that are in those two categories can be measured, but they represent only about 10% of players, the hard-core fans.

My gut feeling in regards to players age 50 and over is that they represent no more than about 5% of the total audience, and that's likely generous. Although the median age of RPGers is certainly older now than it was in 1980--young players are not coming into the hobby in the numbers they did then, which is bad, and WotC should be spending money to recruit them-the age creep is probably towards a median age of 30+ rather than the former average of 20+.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Sir Elton said:
Gary,

I wondering about the nation of Khemet for Necropolis, or a D&D game on Egypt in general. All three kingdoms seems like a good setting for Adventure, but which Kingdom: New, Middle, or Old, would you prefer adventuring in?

Hi SirElton,

Sorry to have missed this post until now.

Using Khemit from Necropolis and the Epic of Aerth world setting is likely a lot less work for the DM that building something from the historical Old, Middle, or New Kingdom models. For a Conan-like milieu with appropriate rules I'd go for the Old Kingdom, while a Classical Antiquity one would fit best with the New Kingdom. That sort of leaves the Middle Kingdom out,but...

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ScottGLXIX said:
Hey Gary. A debate on the rate of fire of missile weapons during surpise has recently come up on several message boards I frequent.
The rule as written states that missile fire is 3 times the normal rate. This equates to 6 arrows, or 9 darts in a single segment.
I've always believed that the original intent of the rule got diluted somewhere between author and editor (similar to falling damage) and that the rate of fire should be a standard 3 per segment, but certain weapons, like a heavy crossbow, require special consideration, and must be handled on a case by case basis.
Scott

Scott,

Another post I missed earlier:(

When that rule was written a segment of a round was six seconds long, but I can not but agree with with your assessment. Six arrows is potentailly possible, but having them arranged for such a rapid rate of fire is improbable. The same is true for nine darts. Standard rate of fire, but uninterrupted by any return, is much more logical. The same is true for special consideration on a case-by-case basis.

In all, application of comon sense needs be applied.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Colonel,

I recently had the opportunity to get all the OD&D books in pdf format! (Yee-ha!, btw. That really takes me back!). In these books I noticed that you use the Lawful-Neutral-Chaotic alignment system. I've heard from other people that when you first began designing AD&D (circa the MM) there were only 5 alignments (LG, CG, N, GE and LE) and that the other 4 were added in when you began working on the PHB.

When did you move from the L-N-C alignments to adding the Good/Eveil component? And when did it become the full-blown 9 alignment system that was the end result?

Thanks!

Gray Mouser

Yet another missed post, and another apology from me.

When I enlarged the alignment system from the three used in D&D because chaoric does not necassarily mean evil nor lawful equate to good, I worked up the nine alignments found in OAD&D as I began work in the MM in 1976. A five-alignment system was not used by me, as the various NX slots were integral to the system I devised.

Cheers,
Gary

LordHavok

First Post
Well met Gary,

I found a copy of a wonderful book. You may have heard of it.. :D

Roleplaying Mastery.

You know you ought to do another book like that one. Maybe a update...include some tidbits you've learned since then..especially some wonderful true life stories.

By the way...Do you have a biography or autobiography out? I haven't heard of one but that's not saying much.. :D

Bulldogc

First Post
Gary I got another question for u. What was going through your mind when making the crossbow stats? Aside from the monk, there seems to be no reason at all to actually use one when even a sling is better in most respects.

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
LordHavok said:
Well met Gary,

I found a copy of a wonderful book. You may have heard of it.. :D

Roleplaying Mastery.

You know you ought to do another book like that one. Maybe a update...include some tidbits you've learned since then..especially some wonderful true life stories.

By the way...Do you have a biography or autobiography out? I haven't heard of one but that's not saying much.. :D

Howdy!

There is a sequel to Role Playing Mastery, that being Master of the Game published a about a year later. Unfortunately is is very hard to find a copy, for I think it is a more informative book.

As for a bio, I am working on an autobiography in fits and starts, still mainly recording what I recall from hy childhood. It isn't all that much fun to write, and with my gaming-related work load being what it is I wonder if i will ever get sround to completing the bio.

Ciao,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads