TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

gideon_thorne

First Post
Wolv0rine said:
Definately, excellent work you have there.

Thankee kindly.

For myself, I'm most pleased that Gary's allowed me to be part of his vision as it were.

Certainly nice to be living a dream working in the fantasy art field. Never really wanted to do anything else. :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Orius said:
Wow, only 10 years? I that would include me, although I didn't start playing D&D until well into the 2e years, and I don't consider myself one of the grognards.
No matter the edition, someone puts in 10 years of dedicated gaming, and is still having at it and lovng it, that one is a grognard :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Garnfellow said:
Gary,

Are you in contact with Frank Mentzer? Is he still gaming?
Howdy!

Yes indeed, Frank and I remain in contact, although it has been several months since I last saw him.

Frank is a most successful businessman nowadays. He and his wife Debbie own a splendid bakery in Minoqua, Wisconsin--about four hours drive straight north from here in Lake Geneva. He is planning to expand into other locations this year, likely.

Anyway, he does still manage to do some gaming and online chatting I believe, despite his very busy schedule. Of course Frank does the massive Gencon auction--see him there.

Cheers,
Gary

Frank Mentzer

First Post
I *thought* my ears were burning.

Yah, we recently opened a second store in Wausau (central Wisconsin), and I've been to every GenCon (std & SoCal) since 1979. If you wanna talk auction, check the GenCon message boards at http://forums.gencon.com/

As far as gaming, well, it's sparse up here in the northwoods -- the nearest mall is more than 2 hours away -- but my weekly AD&D game (1e/2e with my BECMI liberally sprinkled thru) has been running every Tuesday night (almost) since May 1992.

FM

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Col_Pladoh said:
No matter the edition, someone puts in 10 years of dedicated gaming, and is still having at it and lovng it, that one is a grognard :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

wow, i guess that would include me too, though just barely... (playing regularly since 1990 or so, but with a couple of decent sized gaps with no playing, though never going completely without collecting books or studying the hobby).

Garnfellow

Explorer
Frank Mentzer said:
I *thought* my ears were burning.

Yah, we recently opened a second store in Wausau (central Wisconsin), and I've been to every GenCon (std & SoCal) since 1979. If you wanna talk auction, check the GenCon message boards at http://forums.gencon.com/

As far as gaming, well, it's sparse up here in the northwoods -- the nearest mall is more than 2 hours away -- but my weekly AD&D game (1e/2e with my BECMI liberally sprinkled thru) has been running every Tuesday night (almost) since May 1992.

FM

Great to hear from you, Frank. Do you still run an AOL Aquaria game? I used to enjoy reading the session transcripts, though that must have been ten years or so ago now.

I just checked out your bakery's website. All butter? Right on!

Ron

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
[...]

the powers that be at Dragon Magazine have asked me to pen a gord the rogue short story, and I hope within the next few months to get to that. When I have, i'll then see about finding a publisher that would be interested in reprinting all seven of the books in hardback form. If those sell well, a new paperback edition can follow.
[...]
Cheers,
Gary

Any chance you would be able to revise the nomenclature in the novels to make them consistent with Greyhawk? I hope WotC will not complain if you manage to reprint the first two that were published under TSR' brand neither will ask you to take off the references to Greyhawk, like the latter ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads