TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Mythmere1

First Post
Glad you liked the dialogue. I thought mine ended up more strongly Lyonesse, while Gentlegamer's drew more from the Dying Earth...

I must entirely disagree that you can't create a Vancian character with a class system; I have seen it done with the character of Morag the Glum and Silent. The difficulty is alignment, not class. The best the player could quantify his alignment was "fickle." This alignment designation remained on his character sheet for years of play.

I'd have to propose that Vancian alignments would look like this:
Lackadaisically predatory, with amatory and monetary acquisitiveness.
Amusedly vengeful, with musical tendencies.
Perrenially vague, with moments of ardent neutrality

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Col_Pladoh said:
surely? How much insiration from such sources have you put into print? If the answer is little or none, perhaps you are talking out of your hat ;)

Heh,
Gary

What I have put in print is far too dull for present company, or apperantly myself, as I am typing this and not adding to that

Still, I am mildly surprised at your of advocacy for factual grounding...as impressed as I was with that list of fiction in the 1st edition DMG.

But, now that I think a little more, D&D probably also helped spark my interest in the Real World, which in turn has greatly influanced my own gaming: ancient, medieval and military history...but also led to my early interest in those Arhturian tales, and many other things.

So heres the irony: Mr. Gygax, you may be partly responsible for me knowing the difference between Galahad and Gawain! If only I had been warned sooner :D .

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Mythmere1 said:
Glad you liked the dialogue. I thought mine ended up more strongly Lyonesse, while Gentlegamer's drew more from the Dying Earth...
Jack Vance is a most talented author, and the dialog he creates for his characters is always exceptional, especially in his more recent SF books.

I must entirely disagree that you can't create a Vancian character with a class system; I have seen it done with the character of Morag the Glum and Silent. The difficulty is alignment, not class. The best the player could quantify his alignment was "fickle." This alignment designation remained on his character sheet for years of play.

I'd have to propose that Vancian alignments would look like this:
Lackadaisically predatory, with amatory and monetary acquisitiveness.
Amusedly vengeful, with musical tendencies.
Perrenially vague, with moments of ardent neutrality
Disagree as you will, i assert that the limited scope possible with a character in a class-based system forces the player to assume far too many things not inherant in the game persona he is acting for. I do agree that alignments as (mis)used in play are more of a handicap than an aid to roleplay.

Cheers,
Gary

Anson Caralya

First Post
Gary,

Since Jack Vance has come up as a topic, I always wanted to ask you whether you had any direct contact with him. You were describing the D&D magic system as "Vancian" when Dragon was just a wyrmling, and I could swear that I came across a reference to "Lord Gygax" in one of Vance's "Alastor" novels (although now, of course, it eludes me). Just wondering if he was tipping his hat to you.

And, of course, thanks for the game which has so far provided me with 25 years of entertainment!

Nathan P. Mahney

First Post
I hereby retract my plan to kidnap Gary - I have a marked aversion to high-calibre handguns. I'm also aware, thanks to Futurama, that you constantly tote a +1 mace... My +0 skull probably wouldn't hold up.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Anson Caralya said:
Gary,

Since Jack Vance has come up as a topic, I always wanted to ask you whether you had any direct contact with him. You were describing the D&D magic system as "Vancian" when Dragon was just a wyrmling, and I could swear that I came across a reference to "Lord Gygax" in one of Vance's "Alastor" novels (although now, of course, it eludes me). Just wondering if he was tipping his hat to you.

And, of course, thanks for the game which has so far provided me with 25 years of entertainment!
Yes. I have indeed corresponded with the Good author, spoken with him on the telephone, but never met with him in person.

the reference to "Lord Gygax" is in Trullion, IIRR. Jack enjoys unusual names, and so included mine. I scolded him jestingly for not having me a vicious starmeter.

And of course, welcome:)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Nathan P. Mahney said:
I hereby retract my plan to kidnap Gary - I have a marked aversion to high-calibre handguns. I'm also aware, thanks to Futurama, that you constantly tote a +1 mace... My +0 skull probably wouldn't hold up.
Heh...

No need to kidnap me. Just lure me off with coffee and doughnuts or good booze and cigars. with carrots like that a stick isn't needed :lol:

cheers,
Gary

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Heh...

No need to kidnap me. Just lure me off with coffee and doughnuts or good booze and cigars. with carrots like that a stick isn't needed :lol:
Despite his view on Tolkien, our Dear Gary exhibits hobbit qualities to an astonishing degree! :)

Anson Caralya

First Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anson Caralya
Gary,

Yes. I have indeed corresponded with the Good author, spoken with him on the telephone, but never met with him in person.

the reference to "Lord Gygax" is in Trullion, IIRR. Jack enjoys unusual names, and so included mine. I scolded him jestingly for not having me a vicious starmeter.

And of course, welcome
smile.gif

Cheers,
Gary

Yes indeed, it was Trullion. In fact, I had only to flip through the first few pages to find the following passage (page 23 of the Alastor omnibus edition):

To subdue Mad King Zag on Gray World, Alastor 1740, the Whelm poised a thousand Tyrant dreadnoughts over the Black capitol, almost blocking out the daylight.

"Mad King Zag"? Could that possibly be a Zagyg reference? I'm very suspicious of it, followed so closely by "Gray." Was the Good Author familiar with Greyhawk way back in 1973?

By the way, I must also thank you for listing Vance as an inspiring fantasy author in the old DMG. I've been reading his stuff ever since, and have managed to collect nearly all of his titles (those Alan Wade mysteries exceed my budget). Hmmm, I suppose he owes you a reader or two.

Gray Mouser

First Post
Gary, I was wondering how common encounters with dragons were in your original campaign. I know Robilar ended up subduing that family of Green dragons and, IIRC, Mordenkainen had a run in or two with some wyrms but form what I have read I get the impression that they weren't exctly common encounters (even for high level PC's). I could be wrong as I don't know the history of the original Greyhawk campaign as well as some.

Gray Mouser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads