TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
bones_mccoy said:
Gary,

This is a follow-up to a post on the Pied Piper boards: will you be joining Rob Kuntz in the creation of an OAD&D style rules-set using the OGL?

Considering HackMaster's success and the longevity and continued vibrancy of the OAD&D community, I do believe there would be a very significant market for it. Also, such a move would avoid all the legal entanglements you have with writing for OAD&D. And lastly, you wanted to do a revised version anyway when you were last in the captain's chair, so here ya go! :)

Today's round of questions is lengthy indeed! Whew, and I had to take a break to get a bite of breakfast--late start this AM due to running my campaign last night, staying up later than usual. Never can go right to sleep after an exciting time RPGing:D

Anyway, as to the question, Rob and I are indeed discussing what needs to be done. I have sent him an outline of my map plan, something I did some months ago. Rob has been generally busy "elsewhere" this week, so I expect that sometime next week he and I will get into the details of a format agreement between us for the project.

If Kenzer is the publiosher, they will not being an OGL/D20 product, eh?

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Clumsy Bob said:

I have read Gord the Rogue, Sea of Death and Come Endless Darkness. What are the other two novels and more importantly what happens!

In the novels Tharzidum (sp?) plays a central role. Did he ever get released? What did you think of his portrayal in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, actually what did you think of the re-visit to your classic adventure.

Cheers

Bob

Bob, MerricB covered yur queries well:)

As for Tharizdun in the RttToEE, I have not seen that work so I can't comment. Sorry:(

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MerricB said:

Yes, Tharizdun does get released, and Gary has a lot to make up for because of what happens! :)

Bah! The shoe is on the T$R foot. Such stuff that happened with the Wog back then. May Tharizdun take all the guilty parties... :rolleyes:

Gary, if you find this un-stickyfied thread again (arrggghh!!!), could you clear up one thing that bothers me from the AD&D rules?

Halflings: -1 Str, +1 Dex.

In the "min/max" ability score table, they've got a maximum Dex of 18, and a maximum Con of 19. I've always wondered about whether or not that was a typo, or if they once got a +1 Con or whatever. :)

Though I've always ruled that its a typo (halflings may have a 19 Dex), it is one of those things that makes me wonder... ;)

Cheers & Best Wishes!

Wow! I've never had this called to my attention before. That's astonishing, because so many sharp eyes have looked over the work, and errors were pointed out with alactrity :eek:

It is clearly a gaff. The entry should be 19 Dex, of course, not 19 Con.

:)

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Re: Stickify

D'karr said:
A thread with over 10,000 views and over 300 questions and answers surely deserves to stay at the top of the heap.

Could one of the moderators please return this thread to the top?

Thanks.

What? This thread is no longer sticky?! Lesse majeste! Foul! Sob...whatever did I do to desreve such treatment?

Heh. Ah well, I've indicated that I get an email whenever someone responds, so I don't have to worry about the position of the thread :D

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
I know that Morrus wouldn't want a thread permanently stickied to the top. The best way to keep it going is to continue to post to it.

As you did in posting, eh?

Anyway, hasn't Morrus ever heard of a "loss leader"?

Oh, well, never mind that; not a good analogy... :eek:

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
jasper said:
Exactly how did you play dragons?
In 1st edition they had as many hit points as the adventurers. Hey all critters had a d8.
Liked your Slayers Guide, some good ideas, some repeats from your and others articles in the dragon mag.

Thanks, and when I was the DM most of the PCs were charry indeed when about to face a dragon. I assumed the role of that creature as if it were my own PC, and played it thus. Of course I made sure the initial setting and all would give the dragon some advantages. One time a party of two mid-level PCs were nearly slain by a yound red dragon that used spider climb and invisibility to surprise them from above when they entered it's lair. It ain't the stats that count so much as the verve with which the critters are played.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
I haven't seen that. I'll look and see if I can find it.

Sorry I can't recall the name of Lou's game--ALIEN SPACE maybe. Players choose which vessel they want. The spaceships have weapons like stalker pods, torpedoes, the "gapper-zapper," and so on. Tactical manoever and much shooting at one another in a general melee. We had great fun playing.

Gary

shadow

First Post
Gary, I've been wondering for a while what was your inspiration for some of the gods of Greyhawk. Specifically I've been wondering about Erythnul, Zagyg, and Wastri

Erythnul, the many, really kind of reminds me that old movie, Clash of the Titans. In one part of the movie skeletons spring up from the ground where the hydra's teeth had been sown. In the same way, where ever Erythnul's blood spills, monsters spring up. What was your inspiration for Erythnul?

I can see that Zagyg is Gygax spelled backwards (With Z replacing the X). I've read somewhere the Zagyg was originally a mortal who ascended to godhood. Was he originally one of your PCs?

And, I've been wondering about Wastri for a long time. The god of bigoty and human superiority is depicted as being slimy and toad like. The way he is depicted almost seems to be poking fun at some of the various hate groups.

Anyway, I would appreciate your response.

BonesMcCoy

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:

Anyway, as to the question, Rob and I are indeed discussing what needs to be done. I have sent him an outline of my map plan, something I did some months ago. Rob has been generally busy "elsewhere" this week, so I expect that sometime next week he and I will get into the details of a format agreement between us for the project.

I think you're talking about Castle GarHack here. My question was about this post of Rob's:

"There is also another choice, though with a longer road in mind, but which also opens an interesting future for Old School products such as EGG's, mine, whomevers: redoing the OGC to make it compatible with AD&D. This is possible, though time-consuming, but I have bounced this idea off of EGG recently. You just wouldn't be able to call it AD&D, but once finished, would be even closer than HM. THe pros of this is in bringing purists, AD&2 ODnD players and DMs all under one tent. Cons: finding publishers who would support the rules through publishing them and using them in their game line. I for one believe that the 1e market cannot be ignored any longer. HM/Kenzer has proven its viability, so why not others?"

What do you think about that idea? Apart from "my God, what a mountain of work!" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads