TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Ardenian

First Post
Gary,
are you currently playing in a D+D campaign, but it rule set 3.x or OAD&D? if you are - do you play a character, or DM? or both?

i'd love to sit in on that.. it would be like playing hoops with Dr. James Naismith.

I'm about to role a new character for a new campaign, and we're running the 3.5 rules and i'm going to (eventually) select Kensai... i'd love you to provide the name i'll use for my Bastard Sword that this character will "meld" with.

thanks G
[a]

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
haakon1 said:
Do you remember when D&D "peaked". I'm not sure what precisely I'm asking (I guess number of people playing more than revenue), but I think the answer is somewhere about 1984 or so? I remember Newsweek having an article about it, which seemed even more a bag of being a culture phenomenon than having a dumb TV movie or a good cartoon show.
Right you are. The peak of A/D&D was 1983-4. TSR's best marketing estimate of the audience in North America at that time was c. 5.5 million players, with a worldwide audience of over 8 million. Thus the many foreign language translations.

Cheers,
Gary

Korgoth

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
My distinct pleasure, sir!

Of late i have been tasting each sort of whiskey to contrast and compare them. Although bourbon (kentucky & tennessee blended and straight), canadian. irish, and scotch are all fine, I have come to the conclusion that my palate prefers scotch single malt.

These can get pretty pricy, but a good starter is Glenlivit. If you enjoy that whiskey you can then venture further afield, try the pale, peaty cngle malts that I am fond of as well as a blend such as Dewar's and Haig & Haig.

Cheers,
Gary

Just to toss out another suggestion for a good "starter" Scotch whisky: McClelland's single malt. They're not labelled by age or distillery but they're all 5 year singles, one from each of the four different whisky regions of Scotland: Highland, Lowland, Speyside and Islay. Because of the distinct water quality, the Highland has the softest, least 'medicinal' flavor and is actually quite good if taken with a few drops of spring water and allowed to breathe for about 10 minutes. The Highland label is actually made at Glen Garioch.

For those who are just "testing the waters" I'd suggest getting a bottle of McClelland's Highland single malt. At $20 it's a great deal.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ron said:
My plan is to keep the honor point and start tracking them to the ocidental characters to measure how they are seem by the oriental people. I was planing to jettison only the NWP, as I don't think they are particularly well designed and I would need some adaptation to give them to the western characters.
You might want to take a look at the Repute/Dark Repute/Disrepute system used for the LA game, apply something akin to it to the Occidental PCs.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Crimhthan_The_Great said:
Hi Gary,
I was wondering, how deadly do you consider the game to be when you are the ref?

Also along the same lines did you ever look at any of the Arduin books?

I play OD&D and sometimes OAD&D but I use everything and anything I can get my hands on as grist for the idea mill. After nearly 36 years of playing I have found google to be a very easy way of finding new ideas and creating new things for the players. I find that a pinch of of different peoples ideas is similar to using different seasonings in cooking. Infinite recipes (encounters) can be created.

Cheers,
Crimhthan
With my regular group there was seldom a PC loss...after they became veterans. (That applies to my own PCs as well, although a rew raise dead and wish spells were needed to maintain the major characters I played; as it true of the players' PCs in my campaign :lol: )

Players that took foolish chances, ignored warnings, lacked the proper wherewithal to take on a problem or fight an opponent were likely to suffer PC loss.

I shunned the Arduin Grimoire like the plague. However, I used all manner of other sorts of material for inspiration in the campaign, and that included ideas from other DMs and players.

I concur that such differences are akin to herbs and spices in cooking,

Cheers,
Gary

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Korgoth said:
Just to toss out another suggestion for a good "starter" Scotch whisky: McClelland's single malt. They're not labelled by age or distillery but they're all 5 year singles, one from each of the four different whisky regions of Scotland: Highland, Lowland, Speyside and Islay. Because of the distinct water quality, the Highland has the softest, least 'medicinal' flavor and is actually quite good if taken with a few drops of spring water and allowed to breathe for about 10 minutes. The Highland label is actually made at Glen Garioch.

For those who are just "testing the waters" I'd suggest getting a bottle of McClelland's Highland single malt. At $20 it's a great deal.
Well done!

The "medicinal" flavor is from the peat smoke, and I very much enjoy it.

I always add a few drops of water to "open" the whiskey.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Ardenian said:
Gary,
are you currently playing in a D+D campaign, but it rule set 3.x or OAD&D? if you are - do you play a character, or DM? or both?

i'd love to sit in on that.. it would be like playing hoops with Dr. James Naismith.

I'm about to role a new character for a new campaign, and we're running the 3.5 rules and i'm going to (eventually) select Kensai... i'd love you to provide the name i'll use for my Bastard Sword that this character will "meld" with.

thanks G
[a]
As of now the only campaign I am playing in is Jim Ward's Metamorphosis Alpha RPG--tonight is the night for that, in fact :D

When I DM or play D&D rather then the LA game, it is always OD&D or OAD&D.

Cheers,
Gary

rossik

Explorer
hi mr gygax!

i was wondering:
besides "Futurama", have u appeared in other cartoon/series?

it would be great if u were (sp?) in dungeons and dragons cartoon.. ;)

well...if margaret weis and tracy hickamn have special part in the dragonlance movie, so could u!

sure, if we could travel back in time... :(

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Korgoth said:

I'll try that. I'm not a huge scotch drinker, but I've had some nice Dewars & water drinks before. I now have a taste for Bushmills on the rocks, too bad it's only 12 and I'm at work! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads