TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Piratecat said:
Gary, here's a more wide-ranging question; as you look at your gaming career, what product or design are you proudest of? Why?

Similarly, what product would you rewrite differently (or not write at all!) if you had the opportunity of hindsight to do it over?

- Kevin
Ah...

A question or two that I can not answer. The why is simple: Whatever I wrote seemed good to me at the time I did that. I am proud that somewhere someone thinks that a [articular work of mine was excellent, his favorite. About all I can really say is that the amount of fun I had writing is the only measure I have of what the particular design meant to me at the time. There I would rate the G and D series, the unpublished Well of Shadows module co-written with Jon Creffield, Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, Dungeonland, Epic of Aerth,, Castle Zagyg, Yggsburgh, Hall of Many Panes, Necropolis, Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, and The Hermit in about that oprder are those I really loved doing. (Likely if I looked at a list of all the stuff I have done I'd want to revise that. I also had a great time designing the boardgames Dunkirk, Little Big Horn, and the soon to be published King of England - King of France.

Of couese I would write many of my earlier works differently were I to know then what I know now, but as far as game products go, I would not skip any that I have created, even those that have been lost, are not published, or that are languishing in prototype or mere outline form.

That is the best I can supply.

Cheers,
Gary

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Howdy Retreater,

I would attempt to take the player under my DMly wing, suggest caution or urge action as appriopriate, even quesrion his bad decisions with, "Are you certain you want to end your PC's life in such a foolish manner?"

After a couple of sessions of that sort of guidance I would leave him on his own again, and if he had learned something from beoing coddled thus, help him out a bit now and then. If the guy was not responding to the assistance, I'd tell him after the loss of another two or three PCs he would be out of the game as he was not suited to the campaign and its DMing style.

Cheers,
Gary

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Col_Pladoh said:
That is the best I can supply.
And a perfectly fine answer. Thanks!

It's interesting; I think that in many cases the amount of fun you were having while writing is translated through to the person reading it as enthusiasm, in that many of the modules you mention are fan favorites as well. From that list, it sounds like you've enjoyed adventure creation and description more than workman-like rules creation.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Piratecat said:
And a perfectly fine answer. Thanks!

It's interesting; I think that in many cases the amount of fun you were having while writing is translated through to the person reading it as enthusiasm, in that many of the modules you mention are fan favorites as well. From that list, it sounds like you've enjoyed adventure creation and description more than workman-like rules creation.
Howdy Piratecat,

Rules writing is enjoyable when the end result is considered. I find that with a boardgame that end is more apparent because of the visual of the board. The same is true with a world setting, and to a certain extent for a module bacause of the maps involved. The main drawback to enjoyment of rules writing for an RPG is the length of the work at hand. Sometimes that causes eager anticipation to fade as the task drags on, much going back and rervising, adding and deleting takes place.

Writing novels is a blast....save for times that the characters have taken over the plot, the outline is out the window, and you are stuck for what happens next as those heroes and villians refuse to contribute anything more. Short stories don't cause that sort of problem, but finding the plat for each and keeping them succinct can be a chore.

Cheers,
Gary

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Col_Pladoh said:
Howdy Piratecat,

Rules writing is enjoyable when the end result is considered. I find that with a boardgame that end is more apparent because of the visual of the board. The same is true with a world setting, and to a certain extent for a module bacause of the maps involved. The main drawback to enjoyment of rules writing for an RPG is the length of the work at hand. Sometimes that causes eager anticipation to fade as the task drags on, much going back and rervising, adding and deleting takes place.

Writing novels is a blast....save for times that the characters have taken over the plot, the outline is out the window, and you are stuck for what happens next as those heroes and villians refuse to contribute anything more. Short stories don't cause that sort of problem, but finding the plat for each and keeping them succinct can be a chore.

Cheers,
Gary

Hi Gary!

Is TLG still putting out a reprint of Saga of Old City in hardcover? I loaned my copy to my dirtleg brother and he lost it. I can't access thier site from work though.

You ever consider writing some more Gord tales?

Geoffrey

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
About all I can really say is that the amount of fun I had writing is the only measure I have of what the particular design meant to me at the time. There I would rate the G and D series, the unpublished Well of Shadows module co-written with Jon Creffield, Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, Dungeonland, Epic of Aerth,, Castle Zagyg, Yggsburgh, Hall of Many Panes, Necropolis, Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth, and The Hermit in about that oprder are those I really loved doing.

My all-time favorite modules are your three modules of the D trilogy, with D2: Shrine of the Kuo-Toa being my favorite of the three. I'm glad to hear that you greatly enjoyed writing them. The underground environment you introduced in those modules is the single most evocative adventuring environment I've ever seen in published form.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Hi Gary!

Is TLG still putting out a reprint of Saga of Old City in hardcover? I loaned my copy to my dirtleg brother and he lost it. I can't access thier site from work though.
Ho Flexor!

Yes indeed, the Trolls plan to have Saga' in hardback available at GenCon when I can autograph them. Next will be Artifact of Evil sometime this year I believe, then the other five in the series.

You ever consider writing some more Gord tales?
I co-wrote one gors short story with K. Bourgoine for Dragon magazine last year. We did another but it was turned down, and I haven't felt like doing a re-write.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:
My all-time favorite modules are your three modules of the D trilogy, with D2: Shrine of the Kuo-Toa being my favorite of the three. I'm glad to hear that you greatly enjoyed writing them. The underground environment you introduced in those modules is the single most evocative adventuring environment I've ever seen in published form.
Why, thank you kindly :D

Oddly enough my group was not enamoured with the Underdark, especially the actual Vault of the Drow. I had hoped to make things rough with the vampire and succubus couple but they immediately became suspicious and alert when they saw the beautiful moonlit garden.

Cheers,
Gary

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Col_Pladoh said:
Yes indeed, the Trolls plan to have Saga' in hardback available at GenCon when I can autograph them.

Oooo-ooh... my old paperback copy is starting to fall apart from too much rereading :)

-Hyp.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Hypersmurf said:
Oooo-ooh... my old paperback copy is starting to fall apart from too much rereading :)

-Hyp.
All the Trolls, and I as well, regret the loss of the old paperback even as we welcome with enthusiasm the prospect of its replacement with the new, author (slightly) revised, hardcover edition :lol:

Cheerio,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads