TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Obviously posting on boards has become a pastime for me now that I am semi-retired.

Also, Col. Hardisson will be pleased to learn after I finished reading the "Archers Tale" historical novel trilogy I have picked u[ the Gene Wolfd books he recommended and am enjoying The Knight so far--about 60 pages into the tale.

Cheerio,
Gary

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Col_Pladoh said:
Also, Col. Hardisson will be pleased to learn after I finished reading the "Archers Tale" historical novel trilogy I have picked u[ the Gene Wolfd books he recommended and am enjoying The Knight so far--about 60 pages into the tale.

That's nice to hear. The Knight and The Wizard are some of the finest fantasy books I've read in years. Wolfe's style is often demanding on his reader, but is ultimately rewarding.

Quasqueton

First Post
Gary,

Others and you have stated numerous times that the "soul," "spirit," and "heart" of D&D has changed from and since the first AD&D.

What do you consider the soul/spirit/heart of D&D as you wrote it? Can you explain or describe the soul/spirit/heart of OAD&D (as you abbreviate it) without reference to or play off of AD&D 2nd edition or D&D 3rd edition? I'm not asking for you to explain how you think it has changed, just what you think the original soul/spirit/hear of D&D was/is.

I'll ask everyone else to refrain from giving their own answer to this question.

Quasqueton

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
G'day, Gary!

I was wondering if you've ever visited www.boardgamegeek.com - I've been spending quite a bit of time there as my interest in boardgames has likewise been increasing.

At present, I'm getting an average of 9-10 hours of RPG action a week, and 10 hours of boardgame action a fortnight. (Not counting my solo boardgaming session - I'm teaching myself Advanced Squad Leader from the new starter kits; and playing a few other games... ;))

Cheers,
Merric

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
That's nice to hear. The Knight and The Wizard are some of the finest fantasy books I've read in years. Wolfe's style is often demanding on his reader, but is ultimately rewarding.
So far I am in agreement, sir :D

That said, I have already recommended those two works to someone asking about any additions to my old DMG inspirational reading list.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Quasqueton said:
Gary,

Others and you have stated numerous times that the "soul," "spirit," and "heart" of D&D has changed from and since the first AD&D.

What do you consider the soul/spirit/heart of D&D as you wrote it? Can you explain or describe the soul/spirit/heart of OAD&D (as you abbreviate it) without reference to or play off of AD&D 2nd edition or D&D 3rd edition? I'm not asking for you to explain how you think it has changed, just what you think the original soul/spirit/hear of D&D was/is.

I'll ask everyone else to refrain from giving their own answer to this question.

Quasqueton
In as few words as possible:

Absolute authority of the DM, rules lawyers given the boot

Rule books seldom used by a competant DM

Action and adventure in play

Swords & sorcery, not comic book superhero genre material

Group co-operation paramount for success

Freedom to extemporize and innovate for all participants

Reliance on architypical models for characters

Fellowship of those participating

Cheers,
Gary

gideon_thorne

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Fellowship of those participating

This one always seemed, to me, to be the best reason to be involved in a table top rpg. I've met a diverse and interesting crowd of folks through rpgs, and not regretted a moment of it. Not even with some of the dead weird folk. ^_^

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
MerricB said:
G'day, Gary!

I was wondering if you've ever visited www.boardgamegeek.com - I've been spending quite a bit of time there as my interest in boardgames has likewise been increasing.

At present, I'm getting an average of 9-10 hours of RPG action a week, and 10 hours of boardgame action a fortnight. (Not counting my solo boardgaming session - I'm teaching myself Advanced Squad Leader from the new starter kits; and playing a few other games... ;))

Cheers,
Merric
Hi Merric :D

Having been a boardgame geek since my days of persuing chess, I am ashamed to admit I have not. As a matter of fact my son Ernie has a regular boardgamind session almost every week when he, Tom Wham, Dennis Harsh, Russ Ingram, I, and various others do our best to attend.

There are no real board wargames played there, though, for the obvious reason that they accommodate too few players. (As an aside, The Avalon Hill Company asked me to submit a deign for Squad Leader, but as a military miniatures buff I declined as i thought the result would be vastly inferior to tabletop WWII miniatures play...certainly that using the Tractics rules by Reese, Tucker, and Gygax! :lol: ) Anyway, I can even guess at the number of hours I have spent playing most of TAHC's board wargames, from original Gettysburg on through Midway and The Russian Campaign (improved Stalingrad). My current favorite is the old GDW WWII game Operation Overlord. i seldom get a change to play it though. The last full-blown game I played was with Peter Adkison as the British-Canadian forces, me as the US, and sone Luke as the Germans...way back when.

My own three to five player card and boardgame version of the 100 Years War, King of England - King of France, is tentatively slated for GenCon release by Troll Lord Games.

I can recommend highly Ward's & Wham's Dragonlairds cerd-boardgame.

Our usual games of late have been:

Dragonlairds
Ticket to Ride Europe
San Juan
Pierto Rico
Ra
Power Grid
Settlers of Catan
Rail Baron
Palazzo
St. Petersburg
Monopoly
Naval War
Big Business
Nuclear War
Various unpublished tom Wham games ;)
Hopefully KoE-KoF added this fall1

That's about it.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
gideon_thorne said:
This one always seemed, to me, to be the best reason to be involved in a table top rpg. I've met a diverse and interesting crowd of folks through rpgs, and not regretted a moment of it. Not even with some of the dead weird folk. ^_^
Quite so!

This is perhaps the leading thing that gamers writing to me in praise of AD&D note.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads