TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

gideon_thorne

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
I'll be hornswaggled!

Let us see if it actually goes into production for theatrical release or goes straight to DVD.

Cheerio,
Gary (who is finally going to see 300 tonight on his big screen TV...hooray :D )

Did you get the unrated version? ^_~`

mattcolville said:
13th Warrior often tops lists on message board forums of "best fantasy movie." That always struck me as a very low-fantasy (indeed, strictly speaking, no-fantasy) gaming-movie. I know it's John Zinzer at AEG's favorite movie for precisely that reason.

Also:
-- It's about a party, not one individual.
-- It's beautifully filmed, in the picturesque Pacific Northwest, with some great scenes (the final fight in the rain, for instance).
-- It's based on arguably the best and almost certainly the root fantasy swords & sorcery story of the English language, "Beowulf", and cleverly envisions how it could have come to be written. Read Seamus Heaney's translation (best fantasy book out since "The Return of the King", IMHO) and you'll see what I mean -- what's with all the monotheistic additions to an otherwise old pagan-seeming story?

Flexor the Mighty! said:
I really love the first Conan movie. Don't care how faithful to the source material it is. Fun movie.

Indeed. Tried the sequel; didn't like it. Got the collectors edition of the movie. Love it -- significantly better movie than the theatrical release.

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad, why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom, so grant me one request: Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to hell with you!"

Last edited:

Marshal Lucky

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
About the worst I get in this regard is quoting or playing the role of some well-known group or person--Monty Python skits, the Firesign Theater recordings (amongst my favorite comedic material!), Bela Lugosi as Dracula, Lon Chaney, Jr. as the wolfman, etc. Now and then I will attempt a particular sort of accent or mannerism in order to convey the actual nature of the NPC, or just to inject a note of levity into play.

Cheerio,
Gary

When my group played The Village of Hommlet, we defeated Lareth's men and took the survivors prisoner. To make sure Lareth couldn't cast any spells, one of our fighters smashed his jaw and bound his hands. This prompted one of the other players to do his dead-on Al Pacino impression for the rest of the game session (Michael Corleone got his jaw busted when he was arrested in The Godfather). When the party handed Lareth over to the village elders (who decided to try him and string him up), this crazy guy starts with the whole "I'm out of order, YOU'RE out of order!" shtick and right before they hanged him, he did the "I'm dyin' over here!" bit. We had to stop the game we were laughing so hard.

Marshal Lucky

First Post
haakon1 said:
Also:
-- It's about a party, not one individual.
-- It's beautifully filmed, in the picturesque Pacific Northwest, with some great scenes (the final fight in the rain, for instance).
-- It's based on arguably the best and almost certainly the root fantasy swords & sorcery story of the English language, "Beowulf", and cleverly envisions how it could have come to be written. Read Seamus Heaney's translation (best fantasy book out since "The Return of the King", IMHO) and you'll see what I mean -- what's with all the monotheistic additions to an otherwise old pagan-seeming story?

The problem I had with the movie is that it was such a lame ripoff of The Seven Samurai.

Col_Pladoh said:
:lol: :lol: :p :p :lol:

Mileus never did a decent motion picture in his life as far as I am concerned ;)

If not "Conan", what about "Red Dawn" or the bits of the original "Dirty Harry" that he wrote?

Editorial comment: I think "Red Dawn" is a ridiculous movie with lots of truly stupid stuff in it, but I still think it's amusing, and a good time capsule of the time it was made and what paranoias existed then. Sort of like "War Games", only written by someone who was drunk at the time. :p

Marshal Lucky

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
About the closest to an S&S film dine to date is Ladyhawk, and that was not particularly good, eh?

:lol:
Gary

Worse still, that movie is part of that most fiendish of genres:

THE CHICK FLICK! AAAAAIIIIIEEEEEE!

Though the cinematography by Vittorio Storaro was amazing.

Edena_of_Neith said:
You set up a beautiful system, Gary. The other classes (in general) were easier to play, but the payoff was less. Playing a single classed wizard was very hard, but the payoff was enormous.

I tend to agree. Though I wouldn't go as far as you would in saying M-U's were the be-all-and-end all, I do think M-U's had a very low survival probability at lower levels in AD&D, and were more powerful than the other classes at higher levels. Fighters, on the other hand, took a strong lead and weakened over time. Clerics and thief-types were more in the middle -- overall, clerics seem the most durable characters and got decent power at high levels.

Perhaps I only say that because my highest level character was a cleric . . . ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads