Converting Forgotten Realms monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
That's ok with me, though Cleon made the case that class abilities are enough of a boost.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I kinda like adding the "and silver". Something to make 'em just a bit better than the run of the mill muckety-mucks.

BTW, do we need to call these "greater Netherese zombies"? Or call the others "Netherese zombie spawn" or something? I find calling them "templated version" and "monster version" clunky.

freyar

I'm happy with either of your proposed name changes. And I do support making these a little tougher.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

I'll await the others' reactions before changing either name.

Organization: ??.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +1?

Treasure: Standard?

Advancement: By character class?

Level Adjustment: —?

Cleon

Legend
I'll await the others' reactions before changing either name.

Well I guess I'll vote for Lesser and Greater for the versions without and with the template.

I've looked through the current draft of the template and have a couple of queries.

Firstly, I thought we were allowing Monstrous Humanoid as well as Humanoid, like the Vampire template does.

e.g.:
“Netherese zombie” is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid creature with at least six levels in a character class (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
Secondly, I think the natural armour add should be added to its current NA, if any, since that's how it works for the Zombie and Vampire templates.

e.g.:
The base creature’s natural armor bonus improves by +4.
Organization: ??.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +1?

Treasure: Standard?

Advancement: By character class?

Level Adjustment: —?

Hmm, let me think for a moment.

I like the idea of the organization names referring to how they kill & raise those they come across (gangs of farmers, party's of adventurers, merchant caravans or entire hamlets).

Maybe something like:

Organization: Solitary; gang (1 greater netherese zombie and 2-12 lesser netherese zombies); party (2-8 greater netherese zombies); caravan (1-4 greater netherese zombies and 10-100 lesser netherese zombies) or village (1-10 greater netherese zombies and 40-400 lesser netherese zombies)

Challenge Rating +1 seems about right. They're a bit tougher and gain Undead immunities.

Treasure should be standard I guess. Presumably they would retain whatever gear they had in life.

Advancement
would definitely be by character class.

I guess they should have a Level Advancement since, in theory at least, you can have a PC one. Somewhere around +3 or +4 I guess.

freyar

Well I guess I'll vote for Lesser and Greater for the versions without and with the template.
Sounds good.

I've looked through the current draft of the template and have a couple of queries.

Firstly, I thought we were allowing Monstrous Humanoid as well as Humanoid, like the Vampire template does.

e.g.:
“Netherese zombie” is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid creature with at least six levels in a character class (referred to hereafter as the base creature).
I don't remember whether we discussed this or not, but allowing monstrous humanoids makes sense. The same change should also then be added to the create spawn entry.
Secondly, I think the natural armour add should be added to its current NA, if any, since that's how it works for the Zombie and Vampire templates.

e.g.:
The base creature’s natural armor bonus improves by +4.

Makes them a little tougher, good.
Hmm, let me think for a moment.

I like the idea of the organization names referring to how they kill & raise those they come across (gangs of farmers, party's of adventurers, merchant caravans or entire hamlets).

Maybe something like:

Organization: Solitary; gang (1 greater netherese zombie and 2-12 lesser netherese zombies); party (2-8 greater netherese zombies); caravan (1-4 greater netherese zombies and 10-100 lesser netherese zombies) or village (1-10 greater netherese zombies and 40-400 lesser netherese zombies)
Nice!
Challenge Rating +1 seems about right. They're a bit tougher and gain Undead immunities.

Treasure should be standard I guess. Presumably they would retain whatever gear they had in life.

Advancement
would definitely be by character class.

I guess they should have a Level Advancement since, in theory at least, you can have a PC one. Somewhere around +3 or +4 I guess.

That all sounds about right.

One more question: do we want eligibility for this template (and the create spawn entry) to be based on 6 character levels or 6 HD?

Cleon

Legend
One more question: do we want eligibility for this template (and the create spawn entry) to be based on 6 character levels or 6 HD?

Originally, I was presuming character levels, since I think it's down to the "strength of character" of the subject whether they become Lesser or Greater Netherese Zombies.

However, there is a good argument for it being HD based. It would mean things like Medusas would always become the Greater version, which seems right somehow.

Can't decide which I prefer, I'll have to think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads