Scotley's and Leif's Constables of the 14th Ward [3.5E D&D] [OOC 02]

Leif

Adventurer
I actually kept it pretty simple, mostly sticking with my Jameson's Irish Whiskey, a bit of Bailey's Irish Cream, and some Kamora Coffee Liqueur.

The game was run by JAlexander, and all characters were evil. I played a N/E Elf Druid.

Scotley

Hero
He did a pretty good job though he was rusty. I enjoyed it very much. I particularly enjoyed the opportunity to drop on the back of a black dragon for a sneak attack. Leif's Druid in a stroke of genius shapechanged into a baby dragon to add some confusion and even managed to heal one of our number under the guise of attacking him. The idea was that we were hired to keep the good guys from rebuilding a crucial fort. We also were tasked with finding some magical rubies that were lost in the initial destruction of the fortress centuries ago. We took one of them off the dragon, but we'll have to hunt down the other four next year...

As for the drinking I mostly drank neat whiskey, I especially liked an Orphan Barrel Bourbon and Green Spot Irish as well as Leif's Jameson. The only Scotch I drank was a blend called Monkey Shoulder, which I found to be only 'okay'. But it should be noted that Scotch is not really my drink of choice. I also like a bourbon made with a mix of corn and rye and aged for a few years in oak then a few more in used port barrels, called Angel's Envy. I didn't sample this one until late in the weekend. Had I gotten into it earlier I would have consumed a lot more. I found it very pleasant and easy to drink. There were some other whiskeys as well thought either owing to the amount consumed or there lack of appeal relative to the ones mentioned above I can't name them now. We had some Captain Morgan's pumpkin spiced rum mostly as a joke as one of our number has a bit of an obsession with all things pumpkin spice flavored, but it wasn't bad actually. We also had some Herradura Reposado Tequila, which is a favorite of mine. There was XO Brandy. We had really good barrel aged rum with a Hispanic name I can't spell. Hendricks Gin which I made into some gin a tonics with cucumber for a couple folks. If you like Gin I highly recommend getting your hands on a bottle of Hendricks. I like it with tonic or honey simple syrup and lemon.

I also made a few more complex cocktails for the folks who prefer to mix things up. I made one crazy one called 'Colonel Mustard in the Library with a dagger' which I thought quite good, but it was not appealing to all.
[sblock=Colonel Mustard]
Colonel Mustard in the Library with a Dagger
Prep: 5 minutes Makes: 1 cocktail
Ingredients:
1 ounce London dry gin, Beefeater preferred
1 ounce Cocchi Americano
1/2 ounce lemon juice
1 ounce mustard syrup (below)
1/2 ounce orange liqueur, Cointreau preferred
Pickle, for garnish
Prep:
Pour all ingredients except the pickle into an empty cocktail shaker. Fill with ice, close shaker, and shake hard for 12 seconds. Double-strain into a Collins glass filled with fresh ice. Garnish with a pickle.
Mustard syrup
Prep: 5 minutes Cook: 30 minutes Makes: 1 1/2 cups
1/2 cup diced white onion
1/2 cup agave nectar
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 ounce sherry vinegar
1. Combine onions with 1/4 cup water in a medium saucepan over low heat; cook until onions become translucent, about 20 minutes.
2. Add remaining ingredients along with 1/3 cup water; simmer, 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat, strain carefully, and allow liquid to cool fully before transferring to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
[/sblock]

It is difficult to explain the flavor, but it isn't as strange as the ingredient list might suggest.

The Mango Jalapeno Margaritas seem more popular and in fact I made so many of those we ran out of limes.
[sblock=Margarita]
Mango Jalapeño Margaritas
Yield: for one margarita, can easily be multiplied
Ingredients:
2 ounces Grand Marnier
1 1/2 ounces jalapeño tequila
2 ounces lime juice
2 1/2 ounces mango simple syrup
1/2 mango, peeled and chopped
2 jalapeño peppers, sliced
salt for the rim
lime wedges
Directions:
For jalapeño tequila: add 2 sliced jalapeños to a large jar or container and cover with 1 1/2 cups of tequila. Let sit for 24 hours, then strain before using. Keep in a sealed container for a few weeks, preferably in the fridge.
For mango simple syrup: combine equal parts sugar and water (1 cup of each), bring to a boil and let sugar dissolve, then turn off heat and let cool completely. Combine 1 cup simple syrup + 1/2 mango (peeled and cubed) in a blender and blend until combined.
To make the margaritas, rim the ridge of your glass with a lime wedge and dip in margarita salt. Fill the glass with ice. In a cocktail shaker, combine tequila, Grand Marnier, simple syrup and lime juice with ice, and shake for about 30 seconds. Pour over ice and squeeze in lime slices. Toss in a jalapeno slice or two from the infusion.
[/sblock]
This one has a good bit of heat to it. The Jalapeno infused tequila is HOT. A couple of the guys were doing what they call 'pickle backs' which involves taking a shot of hard liquor and chasing it with pickle juice which kills the burn. But they were scared of the Jalapeno Tequila even with the option of a chaser. Only Mowgil, who you might know, was drinking the hot Tequila straight and then only cause there were no more limes.

I made few Italian Sunsets
[sblock=Italian Sunset]
Servings 1 Yield 1 cocktails Units US

2 ounces amaretto liqueur
3 ounces orange juice
3 ounces club soda
1 dash grenadine
orange slice and cherries, for garnish

Directions

Fill a tall glass with crushed ice.
Pour the amaretto over the ice then slowly add the orange juice and top with club soda to form layers.
Add a dash of grenadine and garnish with a cherry and orange slice.
[/sblock]

I think the most universally enjoyed thing I made was a 'Spirited' hot chocolate made with dark roast coffee.
[sblock=Spirited Hot Chocolate]
Spirited Hot Chocolate
1½ cups dark roast hot brewed coffee
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
¼ cup sugar
3 ounces Kahlúa
3 ounces crème de cacao
2 ounces brandy
¼ cup heavy cream
Whipped cream or marshmallows for garnish
1. Place the brewed coffee, chocolate, and sugar in a medium-size saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring, until the chocolate has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Do not boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the Kahlúa, crème de cacao, brandy, and heavy cream.
2. Pour into cups and serve immediately, topped with whipped cream or marshmallows.
SERVES 8 IN REGULAR CUPS OR 16 IN ESPRESSO CUPS
[/sblock] I beat some Irish cream and sugar into heavy whipping cream for the topping.

Leif made me a mix of Jameson, Coffee Liquor and Amaretto that was very tasty. I'm not sure the exact portions. We also had a couple bottles of a wine called '7 deadly Zins' which was pretty good with the massive steaks jalexander brought. They were so big they completely filled our dinner plates and so we needed a second plate for sides. We ate really well to soak up all that booze.

Leif

Adventurer
I ate so much steak that it felt like I had a small anvil in my intestines when I was trying to sleep. Ugh.

About the proportions of Irish Wiskey, Amaretto, and Kamora coffee liqueur in the Leif's Irish Almond Coffee, I just eyeballed it. I poured in over rocks, so amounts are hard to judge, but I'd guess about 2 shots of Irish Wiskey, a shot of amaretto, and 2-3 shots of coffee liqueur.

Scotley

Hero
Okay Neurotic you've got mail. Here's the image.

Attachments

• qanun2.jpg
    qanun2.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 129

Leif

Adventurer
An autoharp is clearly the descendant of this instrument, but a dulcimer bears very little resemblance. Actually, this one is a more ancient instrument, the likes of which Granny has never seen. Since it's not for you, I'll say no more just yet.

Remove ads