Proposal: Requiring PC Approval only at the end of the adventure

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
I am going to confess something. My PC Hadrak is level 6 and has been only approved 4 time: At level 1, 2, 4 and 6.

To be more accurate, he's been approved at creation and then after each adventure he completed. I didn't submit him for approval if he gained a level during an adventure.

I am proposing that my delinquant behavior becomes the norm. It would reduce the approval line up by at least 33%, I think.

Also with the current system, a PC might be approved at level 4 during an adventure, then shortly after gain a non legal feature (most likely an item) and end the adventure. Then he enters a new adventure, his new DM spots the questionable features and asks; 'Hey, is that legal?' The PC answers 'My PC is approved!'.

It's a caricature, but what I want to underscore with this example is that while he is in an adventure, a PC's 'legality' is the responsibility of his DM. Only when he is returned into the 'genpop' do we need a judge to review him to make sure he isn't moving too far away from the community's baseline and will not be problematic when he joins a new crew.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Sounds a fair proposal. I think if we want the community to grow, it will ask more time for the judge, which they might not be able to supply. So I think that's sounds good.

renau1g

First Post
Hmmm...well for long adventure's this could be problematic. I'm planning on Kingmaker being somewhere between a 16 - 20 months and at least 4 levels. I'd prefer for the PC's to be looked by someone besides myself during this time.

Also, Jade Frontier has been going since 4/3/09. They've reached level 4 themselves and so it's a long time for them to go without a review.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
I guess a DM could always request an approval of his PCs if he feels it necessary. Personnally I am pretty confortable with just a personal look over.

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Good points Mal. That was really the only thing that I saw that was potentially an issue with this proposal.

My first thought was that it'd take more time to basically look at a level 4 CS for the first time since 1st, but then I realized I pretty much have to review every line item of the sheet anyway and I enter into the CB for review, so really, I'll save a few inputs into the program.

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
No I guess I don't. If you're not comfortable as a DM, with reviewing PCs then you probably shouldn't be doing adventures that span more than two level ups anyway. It's those long adventures that could be the most tricky.

I would certainly caution DMs though that if they allow a level up mid-adventure, they should either check each character personally or pause and require level ups to be sent in.

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
Honestly, I see no reason to say no. I don't read every thread. If this wasn't passed PCs could easily not submit in the middle of an adventure and I'd never know. When the PC came round for approval I would just assume that they didn't get xp till the end.

Even if I knew I don't I'd see it as sneaky or Malicious.

I would say yes, once I saw clear language as to how the proposal is stated.

Remove ads