Your DDI Account Status

What is the status of your DDI subscription?

• I have an account and will continue to subscribe.

Votes: 106 47.5%
  • I had an account but canceled even before they announced the web based CB.

Votes: 25 11.2%
  • I had an account and decided to cancel it when they announced the web based CB.

Votes: 20 9.0%
  • I had an account but have decided to cancel it after trying the web based CB.

Votes: 29 13.0%
  • I was occasionally subscribing to update my CB, but will no longer be subscribing.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • I was occasionally subscribing to update my CB and will be getting a full subscription now.

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I was using another persons subscription and will now be getting my own subscription.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I was using another persons subscription and will not be subscribing.

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • I was not subscribed, but will be starting a subscription or have started one recently.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I am not a DDI subscriber and have no plans to subscribe.

Votes: 19 8.5%

Put another vote down for "I have a long term subscription that I may or may not renew when it's up, depending on how things look months from now." Why decide now?

Me too, that is a very poor poll. Totally weighted against DDi, I have a subscription and when it comes to expire I will re-assess.

As I would coming up to the end of any subscription service.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The similar poll I did not that many days ago had similar results:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-discussion/296629-do-you-dungeons-dragons-insider.html

I have an annual subscription 156 50.49%
I periodically subscribe on a monthly basis 27 8.74%
I used to, but have stopped 70 22.65%
No and never DDI 41 13.27%
Another poll choice 15 4.85%

To the extent to which we believe the poll, recent events have prompted some quitting.

We will have to do this again in a few months to really have an idea.

Badwe

First Post
Put me down as another wait and see. I have a very long time til my account lapses (year based subscription). Years of MMOs have made me comfortable with the idea of a monthly fee, and I just took the biggest deal.

That being said, I am contemplating the possibility of non-renewal, although only based on the trend and not the current state. If things continue to decay, I may cancel, but if things can at least maintain, it will still remain a net positive for me. I absolutely understand the desire to cut down on piracy, and a web-app can potentially be a blessing, although it is often a curse. On launch day it felt like a curse based on the number of crashes I had to deal with.

I understand it broke the ToS to let my players download the CB to their own computers, and at least one of my players felt it was only fair that he get a subscription as well, so 2 out of 7 is better than 1 out of 7. I also have purchased more than 70% of 4e books, taking the time to drive an hour to buy it from my FLGS. I know that overall I am a net gain to wotc, and I know my players will never invest as much as I do, and no wotc policy is likely to change that. I can tell you, none of the players who don't currently subscribe will: most likely they will just log in as me, and if concurrent logins don't work they'll print to PDF or just print out the character on their own time. However, none of us pirated or uploaded any content to pirating sites, so I can understand wanting to quash people who are totally removed from the DDI revenue stream, but nothing they've done the past 2 months has earned them any new subscriptions from us, nor will it.

Tony Vargas

Legend
"I was occasionally subscribing to update my CB and will be getting a full subscription now."

"I was using another persons subscription and will now be getting my own subscription. "

I think it's telling that these are ZERO. If going on-line only was meant to reduce 'dipping' (subscribing for one month now and then to update CB) and piracy and capture the theoretical revenue being lost, that's not a good indicator of success.

Bagpuss

Legend
If going on-line only was meant to reduce 'dipping' (subscribing for one month now and then to update CB) and piracy and capture the theoretical revenue being lost, that's not a good indicator of success.

Yeah they have lost 30% of people that have tried the D&DI (for one reason or another), and gained 2% by making it web-based.

Really managing it well.

Last edited:

Votan

Explorer
Add me to the "has six months left and have turned auto-renew off". I will give it a candid reassessment in six months but I have had some really mixed results with the tool. I tried to build a character to show the rest of my 4E group and it froze my entire computer! [twice] From another computer (more RAM) it seemed to work without a hitch. So I am in the undecided camp.

I will rent software if it is really good; not quite sure we are at really good yet.

mudbunny

Community Supporter
I had an account but cancelled it when pdf's were pulled. When pdf's return (or another electronic format, as long as I can donwload it and "own" it myself), then I WILL get a DDI sub again (even though I don't play 4E).

I want it for Dungeon (adventures), and Dragon (Fluff), and to support the game I've loved for many years.

The magazines are still pdf format...

Remove ads