The Walking Dead, season 2, starts tonight

NewJeffCT

First Post
Anything specific? Like closing the gate and standing there watching the zombies until it fails instead of reinforcing or moving out of sight.

Still, I'm glad there's at least one show you like on TV. I was worried.

I was wondering why they didn't take more flares, and then sneak out of the trailer and toss a few more to the other side of the parking lot...

but no, they boldly charge out of the trailer only to be spotted and nearly overwhelmed. WTF? The place was crawling with zombies a few minutes earlier... did they think all the zombies were gathered hand-in-hand around the original flares singing Kumbaya conveniently out of range?

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
I was wondering why they didn't take more flares, and then sneak out of the trailer and toss a few more to the other side of the parking lot...

but no, they boldly charge out of the trailer only to be spotted and nearly overwhelmed. WTF? The place was crawling with zombies a few minutes earlier... did they think all the zombies were gathered hand-in-hand around the original flares singing Kumbaya conveniently out of range?

yeah it does seem like there should be some protocol figured out for handling zombies.

Also, considering all the military is dead, why don't these people have military grade hardware yet? Was it that hard to grab an M16 from a jeep when you pass by?

NewJeffCT

First Post
yeah it does seem like there should be some protocol figured out for handling zombies.

Also, considering all the military is dead, why don't these people have military grade hardware yet? Was it that hard to grab an M16 from a jeep when you pass by?

good point - there were also tanks & dead bodies all around the CDC building last season, too. I guess some could have already been looted... but, not one grenade? Not one combat knife? No ammo lying around?

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Anything specific? Like closing the gate and standing there watching the zombies until it fails instead of reinforcing or moving out of sight.
Like pretending you're on a family camping trip instead of the zombie apocalypse. Letting your kids wander AT ALL, is just plain dumb. Taking them on a tracking expedition is the epitome of stupidity. Then there's just simple things like when the two are waiting for the rest at the campervan and sitting in the shade... on the road. I don't care how hot it is, you don't sit in a vulnerable position where a zombie could creep up on you at any moment when you have a perfectly good safe position, ie. the roof, to sit.

Honestly, there's just too many things to list.

Still, I'm glad there's at least one show you like on TV. I was worried.
For the most part, I only dislike the shows you like.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Yep, they could have set a car on fire 5 blocks away or just drive down the road with cans from the bumper, while one guy went in to get the stuff.

Sad, when you get smarter as a zombie.

Joker

First Post
Like pretending you're on a family camping trip instead of the zombie apocalypse. Letting your kids wander AT ALL, is just plain dumb. Taking them on a tracking expedition is the epitome of stupidity. Then there's just simple things like when the two are waiting for the rest at the campervan and sitting in the shade... on the road. I don't care how hot it is, you don't sit in a vulnerable position where a zombie could creep up on you at any moment when you have a perfectly good safe position, ie. the roof, to sit.

Honestly, there's just too many things to list.

For the most part, I only dislike the shows you like.

People can't live on edge their entire lives. Even knowing full well the consequences of doing "dumb" things, they will still do those dumb things just to take their minds of their current situation.

[Spoilers] You know, I was watching the latest episode yesterday and I was just thinking how cool it was that people come to together in times of need instead of trying to screw each other over like you see in a lot of post-apoc shows. Then Shane does what he does.

I'm hoping that nothing happens to the house they're in and the people in it. If they were suddenly attacked by a horde of zombies which followed them I will be disappointed. I would like to know that there are still pockets of hope in the world.

Janx

Hero
People can't live on edge their entire lives. Even knowing full well the consequences of doing "dumb" things, they will still do those dumb things just to take their minds of their current situation.

In a way, that's readiness fatigue. If you spend too much time in the tense, ready for trouble state, at some point, you will have to relax.

This is why security defenses get sloppy, etc. Especially with civillians. Especially when there is no apparent danger.

The best they can do then, is setup a sort of protocol that reduces their risk from this mental state (buddy system, always resting in "safe" areas).

I do agree it was a bit dumb to let the kids wander or explore, or to take the kid with into the woods. But they thought they were mostly safe. It was more probable that zombies were trapped in cars than a herd of them would come walking through.

CrimsonReaver

First Post
I love the show - because I freakin' love zombie stuff - but the stupidity of the characters is truly overwhelming at times.

I'm willing to give Rick a pass on letting his kid tag along on the search party. Firstly, because I'd be freaked the hell out if I got back to the camper and discovered they were overrun by zombies and everyone was missing or they'd picked up and drove off, leaving me no idea what the hell happened. I might be putting the kid in danger by dragging them along with me, but I'd want to keep them close at hand - especially if I'd gone through all the crap Rick went through to find him. After that, there's no way I'd leave him behind. (Though, to be fair, I wouldn't have bothered looking for the girl in the first place. Not my fault the girl was too stupid to follow simple instructions. She deserves to be zombie chow.) Secondly, if the kid wanted to come along but was rudely rebuffed, I think I'd worry the kid might be all sulky and petulant, feeling like he was being treated like a child, and he might sneak away to join the search anyway. (Because, as that stupid girl proven, kids don't always do what they're told.) Might as well let him come, let him feel like I respect him as more than just a helpless child so that maybe he'll listen and follow my instructions when it really counts, and be able to keep an eye on him. The fact that he got shot was just bad luck.

But that half-assed, ill-conceived supply run by Shane and Otis was just idiotic. Quite frankly, they both deserved to die. Given that they can distract the zombies with lights and sounds, there's no excuse for them not coming up with a better plan of distraction to get them in and out of there with the medical supplies. They could've used the car alarm tactic from Season 1. Granted, I know it doesn't make for the most compelling television to recycle ideas, but it'd be more realistic to reuse proven strategies. And making characters act stupidly just to put them in dramatic situations really hurts the overall likability of the characters. And, at this point, there's really not a likable person in the group. I'm actually rooting for the zombies so far this season.

Though, my biggest gripe of all: why the $@#! does nobody carry a baseball bat, lead pipe or, hell, even a hefty tree branch as a Mr. Eko-style Jesus club? Just a simple blunt weapon for crushing skulls. No, it's not the weapon of choice when you're being swarmed, but if you're just taking on one or two zombies, it'd be pretty useful - and practical. It doesn't require ammo and has no reload time (unlike Daryl's crossbow), it doesn't make enough noise to draw attention, and it'd provide a little more reach than a stupid hunting knife or camping hatchet. Seriously. Looking around my room, I count at least three objects that could be used as impromptu blunt weapons. There's no excuse for the group to not carry a couple of simple skullcrushers.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I am starting to get ticked with the show. It is the stupid characters, some I can forgive but not having a zombie fighting kit by this time. You know, basic items, couple of hand weapons, rope, a ten foot pole, etc.

The characters don't plan, they don't take the time to look for an escape route before going in and forget everything they have learned about zombies.

AeroDm

First Post
The thing that bothers me the most about how flippant the characters are towards the zombie apocalypse is that it undermines the tension of the show. Walking into a church and having three zombies stand up and turn--class. Beating them to death--epic. Then casually breaking into prayer... sort of undermines the whole scene. This is a church, a sacred place that is symbolic of safety and salvation and even it has been overtaken by the zombies. To then play out the prayer scene makes it "safe" again and the symbolism is shattered.

I think the best episodes were the first three or four of season one. I constantly felt on edge, like someone who just woke up in a zombie apocalypse during those episodes. I don't feel that way anymore, I sort of just watch (and enjoy) the shows. I understand the logic of readiness fatigue, but as a viewer watching a television show about zombies, I want to feel on edge for that 45 minutes regardless of what the characters are feeling.

Remove ads