• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

John Carter

TanisFrey

First Post
Not just that he was more powerful because no one was able to detect his thoughts because he didn't have the same mental pattern or something as everyone else on mars had.

What's funny is that he essentially was Reverse Superman.

-Sent via Tapatalk

I would have to re-read to books but from Wiki...

White Martians
Orovars -- The White Martians, known as 'Orovars' were rulers of Mars for 500,000 years, with an empire of sophisticated cities with advanced technology. They were white skinned, with blond or Auburn hair. They were once a seafaring race but when the oceans began to dry up, they began to cooperate with the Yellow and Black Martians to breed the Red Martians,[40] foreseeing the need for hardy stock to cope with the emerging harsher environment. They became decadent and 'overcivilized'. At the beginning of the series they are believed to be extinct, but three remaining populations, some original Orovars, Therns and Lotharians, are still living in secret and are discovered as the books progress.[7]

Lotharians -- The Lotharians are a remnant population of the original White Martians, which appear only in Thuvia, Maid of Mars. There are only 1000 of them remaining, all of them male. They are skilled in telepathy, able to project images that can kill, or provide sustenance. They live a reclusive existence in a remote area of Barsoom, debating philosophy amongst themselves.[41]

Therns - Descendants of the original White Martians who live in a complex of caves and passages in the cliffs above the Valley Dor. This is the destination of the River Iss, on whose currents most Martians eventually travel, on a pilgrimage seeking final paradise, once tired of life or reaching 1000 years of age. The valley is actually populated by monsters, overlooked by the Therns, who control these creatures, and ransack, and eat the flesh of those who perish, enslaving those who survive. They consider themselves a unique creation, different from other Martians. They maintain the false Martian religion through a network of collaborators and spies across the planet. They are themselves raided by the Black Martians. They are white skinned and bald but wear blond wigs.[42]

Do you notice that no one ever works hard in the movies anymore? They basically pull a 'eat the pill' moment just like in Limitless. John Carter doesn't have to work at the language like he had in the book, he just drinks the magic water and BAM!, he understands the language.

I liked the movie, but I think it was sloppily done. I also noticed that he was not ageless, like he was in the books. I never read past book four, but does anyone know if John Carter is a Orovar or White Martian?

I never found out in the books what froze him and transported him to Mars, as they left it a mystery in the four I had read. If he was a lost Orovar wandering Earth, it would explain his agelessness and much else.
OK i enjoyed the movie enough to read the book for the first time. I just finished the 3rd book last night.

Seeing these posts leads me to believe that John Carter was an Orovars who traveled to earth and forgot his past. The books mentions that John Carter is ageless about once a book so far.

Plus John is genetically compatible with a Red Martian. The books are clear that all martians are compatible with each other expect maybe the green.

As far as Carter being a reverse Superman. Remember the original Superman could leap tall buildings. John Carter was more likely the uncredited inspiration for original Superman. It would not surprise me that an author in the 1920 used a book from the late 1800 as a source of inspiration, even if unconsciously on the author part.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I know John Carter was created before the original Super Man. But remember he was created years after Nietzsche's concept of the ubermensch which may have inspired John Carter.

ANYWAYS, the point of my comparison was that since a good majority of today's population could easily tell you who Superman but would struggle with the questions of "Who is John Carter? Why should you watch his movie?" John Carter would is like a reverse Superman, even though historically it's the other way around.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I know John Carter was created before the original Super Man. But remember he was created years after Nietzsche's concept of the ubermensch which may have inspired John Carter.

ANYWAYS, the point of my comparison was that since a good majority of today's population could easily tell you who Superman but would struggle with the questions of "Who is John Carter? Why should you watch his movie?" John Carter would is like a reverse Superman, even though historically it's the other way around.
Not sure of the context with ubermensch other than "overman" and "superman" as it was a philosophy.

And while John Carter never made it as an world icon, ERB's Tarzan did. Before 1977 there were really just 5 characters that would be recognized around the world; Superman, Kirk, Tarzan, Micky Mouse and Elvis.

I think if I was doing the marketing, I would have done a time line of iconic movie characters, end with John Carter as the start of it all, then the release date.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
And while John Carter never made it as an world icon, ERB's Tarzan did. Before 1977 there were really just 5 characters that would be recognized around the world; Superman, Kirk, Tarzan, Micky Mouse and Elvis.

wow so Kirk was more recognizable than Robin Hood, Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, Dracula, Billy the Kid, Zorro, Muhammad Ali, Conan, Beatles etc

Jhaelen

First Post
But remember he was created years after Nietzsche's concept of the ubermensch which may have inspired John Carter.
Errm, have you actually read anything from Nietzsche?

There's absolutely _no_ connection between the philosophical concept of the 'Übermensch' and a 'Superman'. It's about freeing yourself from social and moral 'shackles', not about gaining superpowers.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
wow so Kirk was more recognizable than Robin Hood, Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, Dracula, Billy the Kid, Zorro, Muhammad Ali, Conan, Beatles etc

yep...people in China at the time could see a pic of him and know who he was, now that is a icon! The others are culture icons, never moved beyond the western world. Beatle, music yes but not the members of the band.

And we all know what happen in 1977, the year Hollywood was saved! After that, there were a whole lot of icons!

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Not sure of the context with ubermensch other than "overman" and "superman" as it was a philosophy. .
Errm, have you actually read anything from Nietzsche?

There's absolutely _no_ connection between the philosophical concept of the 'Übermensch' and a 'Superman'. It's about freeing yourself from social and moral 'shackles', not about gaining superpowers.
I've read some of his work, but not much.

I'm looking at influence and inspiration in broad terms since fictional characters/societies who act a reaction/counterpoint/critique of something are still inspired/influenced by it (even if only bits and pieces of the work are being responded to).

Look at the Sula/Tars Tarkas/John Carter, they basically represented many social/moral values which are considered to be the societal norm during ERB's era (some of which Nietzsche was against) while the rest of the tharks were an embodiment of the antitheses of those traditional values the protagonists symbolized. The tharks themselves could be said to be the result of shirking of those traditional societal/moral values for endless generations. However by the end of the book Sula, Tars Tarkas, and John Carter's values seemingly were about to replace the values of the Tharks as a result of Tars Tarkas's ascension to Jeddak.

Of course, it's all speculation since, as far as I know, ERB never said, "I read Thus Spake Zarathustra, and here are my thoughts on that work..."

Last edited:

Dire Bare

Legend
I think this is one of those movies that has a big identity problem.

It's not really a light-hearted thrill ride in the vein of "Raiders" or "Pirates". You're not laughing constantly at lovable, quirky characters right before gasping as they go over a waterfall or narrowly avoid being swallowed by a giant monster.

It's not a dramatic epic in the vein "Gladiator" or "Braveheart" either.

Nor is it a blood-soaked, hyper-violent, killing-floor flick like "300".

Those are pretty much your three types of big action movies: the family thrill ride, the epic, and the slaughterhouse. John Carter dips a toe here and there, but doesn't commit to any. You get an adorable CGI dog, which is typically included to play to younger audiences, but does that really happen here? Does the movie ever really driver home a major theme, be it "love" or "freedom" or "family"?

I also find your "inscrutable" and "incoherent" criticisms, well, strange and snarky. But I kinda-sorta agree with you here. Although the "identity problem" is a bonus in my book and one of the reasons I enjoyed the movie. I get tired of the standard genre "slots" that blockbusters usually fall into. But, I do think that this "lack" is making the movie a harder sell with the general public, sadly.

Remove ads