How do you use a butter knife?

Which side of the knife do you use to spread on bread?

• Curved side (blade) against the bread

Votes: 30 93.8%
  • Flat side (back) against the bread

Votes: 2 6.3%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I was always taught that Americans don't put butter on their sandwiches. Is that true, or just a myth?

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Some do, some don't. It depends on the person.
(My mother insisted on butter on her tuna-fish sandwiches, but I use mayonnaise for that -- one example among possible millions.)

Zombie_Babies

First Post
I was always taught that Americans don't put butter on their sandwiches. Is that true, or just a myth?

Bro? We used to eat butter sandwiches. Being poor means some interesting cuisine. We also, for example, used to eat cheese sandwiches which were made with past expiration white bread (sold at a discount retailer) and Reagan cheese (free from the gov't). ;)

Janx

Hero

As tux indicates, it varies. It also depends on the sandwich. From my own observations:

For plain toast, people would use butter.

For grilled cheese sandwiches, butter goes on before you grill it. (I have seen Jelly put on top after cooking, but that's uncommon)

For peanut butter sandwiches, I've seen with/without butter.

For peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, no butter generally.

For deli meat (ex ham) and cheese, mayonaise is very common, butter almost never.

For a hamburger, mayo is common, butter only if the bun is grilled (for lightly toasting)

For a sub (subway, quiznos, Jimmy Johns) no butter in sight.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
The blade.

The type of butter knife some people call a "butter knife" or the angled knife that really IS a butter knife and almost impossible for a lefty to use properly?

....stupid right-handed butter knives.
I honestly have never seen a 'right-handed' butter knife, so I don' really know what you are referring to.

Mostly true. Butter is for bread by itself, or on the outside of a grilled-cheese sandwich. But inside a sandwich with other ingredients? Ick. Too greasy/fatty for me. But then again, fluffernutters are popular here, so what do I know?

As to table knives ... curved side down. I've never figured out how to properly use that "butter" butter knife.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
then how can we have grilled cheese sandwiches.

I don't know what that phraseology translates to in term of real world objects (two Welsh Rarebits on top of each other?) but my experience in the US of you guys drenching everything in several tons of plastic melted glowing cheese-substance suggests I'd want to steer clear.

Remove ads