[LPF] From Whence None Return

Satin Knights

First Post
[section]Cratchen watches as first Maui, and then Vincenzo step outside for some fresh air. "Wild men. They can be so temperamental."

With the big cat gone, the little one in the room comes out of hiding and rubs up against Cratchen.

"Lem, Menik, you have worked for me before. I assure you I believe the enchanter is just dead. And to tell you the truth, I am basing that on just one thing. Every enchanter, when he creates a magic item, leaves an essence signature of himself in the object he is enchanting. Our experts know how to look for that signature, and we meticulously track it on all the items that go through the Pearl."

"Have you seen an item that is not eventually sold or purchased from the Pearl? No. We have our monopoly. It takes time, but all things pass through our hands. Well, it has been eighty seven years since a new item made by Coroliatheon has passed through our doors. And our doors are in every city. He used to be quite prolific and then all production stopped. So, I really think this is a quick cleaning out of an abandoned lair."

"As to things that can help you, I can't promise anything from the Pearl. That would be risking my job there, and I like my job. Make items, earn a little gold, drink in town, repeat. That is a good life for me. I am not one for gallivanting through the swamps. That is for young guys like you."

He pulls a pouch from his belt and starts dumping it on the table. While the pouch is small, the contents keep pouring out for quite a while. "Let's see." as he casts a little incantation. "Cure Serious, only eleven charges left." as he sets aside a wand. "Ah, Locate Object" as the scroll is set to the side. "And... and... There they are. Two potions of Restoration." He starts shoveling the rest back into the tiny pouch.

"Now, this is cutting into my commission heavily. But, this is my personal stuff. I want you guys to succeed, because... well because nobody else has. And Coroliatheon's work was so elegant. So, I will *personally* loan these things to you, and then take it out of your reward when you return."

"You are only required to sell the Staff back to the Mystic Pearl at the stated price of twenty five thousand gold pieces. Anything else you find out there, well, you can keep or sell to us as well. Eventually, your grand children will sell that stuff too to the Pearl, so we will get them eventually."

"Oh, yeah, a map as to where." He reaches back into the pouch and pulls out a map. It leads north and a little east, through forested swamps, with no roads going near the destination, but enough natural landmarks mapped that the place should be easy to find.

"Do we have a deal?"
[/section]
[sblock=OOC]Cratchen was the recruiter for Rescue from Boar's Ridge. Fiorella, the cat wandering around, was the one rescued by Lem and Menik.

Items offered: Scroll of Locate Object. Wand of Cure Serious Wounds with 11 charges, 2 potions of Restoration.
[/sblock]

kinem

Adventurer
"Hey there, Fiorella." Menik smiles.

"I'm not so sure about the lich, Cratchen. Maybe he no longer needs to raise money. I imagine being a lich would cut down quite a bit on his needs, and maybe financing the process was the whole point of his sales in the first place. A nice retirement plan, if you don't mind being an unliving horror, and one that allows plenty of time for the hobby of building an undead army while residing in a gated community of undead.

But, I think we will go take a look. If we run into - What did you say his name was? - we'll run. And if we die, I'm going to kill you."

Menik takes the scroll, and looks at the map.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"I cannot let Menik go into danger by himself. Who would cook for him? If he is up for this, count me in too," Lem the Cook responds.

OOC: At the airport returning home from Doha. I will write more soon.

jkason

First Post
Weel Naxel, aasimar oracle

"So many new friends!" he says gleefully as Cratchen shows the wand, scroll, and potions. "Now the poor, self-loathing stick will have to come out of hiding!"

Satin Knights

First Post
[section]"Well, you know where to go and what to get. You know what I think is there and you will be facing. Anything other questions before you gather your friends and leave?"

"I know you were expecting a little more up front, but this job is a bounty. The first person or group that brings us the staff gets paid. So, I wouldn't talk about what you are going after while you are walking out of town."

[/section]

kinem

Adventurer
Menik says "Actually, I do have a question. Do you know, or can you find out, who else has tried this quest? My brother Kyle Krill is - or was - an adventurer too, and he did not return. He might have attempted this sort of thing ..."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lem ponders for a moment, then asks, "Since you have scrying devices, I am sure you kept up with some of the parties involved in the past. At least partly. Any thoughts about the dangers we all might see? Since a necromancer was involved, I am sure we can bet we'll find some nasty undead about."

jkason

First Post
Weel Naxel, aasimar oracle

Weel scoops up the magical items and begins having a cheerful conversation with them under his breath as he wanders toward the exit.

[sblock=ooc]Weel doesn't have any other questions. I have no need to carry all the stuff, but figured I should put something IC to indicate we picked it up, or it might come back to haunt us. ;) [/sblock]

Remove ads