• New Player

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Returning Player

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • Existing/Current Player

Votes: 65 66.3%

Chaltab

Explorer
Current player. I dabbled in 3.X and other d20 derived games through the 00s and picked up 4E in 2010. I would really like a cleaned up faster 5th Edition, but D&D Next seems to be more TSR Presents: AD&D 3E. Which is fine, but just not what I was hoping for.

Kabluey

Explorer
I'm in the same camp. My game is house-ruled Labyrinth Lord (some LotFP elements).

How much are you using? Are you using all the rules from the Basic Rules?

I'm not using the new XP table, or the Inspiration rule yet. I also haven't adopted the new short term rest healing rules either.

I actually had a house-ruled Dying Rule to roll to stabilize, get a permanent injury, or die if they went under 0 hp, so the only difference now is that they roll 3 times instead of once.

My PCs were very happy to get the ability modifier boosts, the HP increases, and the extra ability/spell each of them got.

We're starting a new campaign, not converting the LL campaign over. We discussed that as an option and I (as the DM) was happy to do so, but one of the players really didn't like the idea because he felt we'd lose the flavor of the campaign by using a ruleset where the characters are substantially more powerful. I didn't agree, but I was ok with starting a new game.

arjomanes

Explorer
We're starting a new campaign, not converting the LL campaign over. We discussed that as an option and I (as the DM) was happy to do so, but one of the players really didn't like the idea because he felt we'd lose the flavor of the campaign by using a ruleset where the characters are substantially more powerful. I didn't agree, but I was ok with starting a new game.

That's probably a good idea. I thought about it, but the players are level 1 and 2, so I didn't want them to start over with all new characters. Another point is most of them are new D&D players and I didn't want them confused with an entire new ruleset.

I haven't converted everything over yet. We were already using ascending AC (as LotFP), so that didn't change for them. I created a little sheet that listed out what each PC got as a bonus for the new edition. For most it was a couple +1 modifiers on ability scores, an average +4-6 hp, and then the key abilities each class gets at level 1 and 2, or extra spells for spell-casters. The elves became elf wizards (I let them have martial weapon proficiency), the dwarves became dwarf fighters, and halflings became halfling rogues. The humans got their +1 to all abilities.

I also told the PCs that they could retire a character if they want and create a new one with any of the available race/class combos in the Basic Rules, but no one opted for that. If PCs die, they'll create a new character with the new 5e rules. At that point I'll let them choose the background options if they want to, but I'm considering that an optional rule at this point.

I didn't take away any abilities, but I translated them slightly to the new rules. There are a few LL legacy bonuses here and there that make these characters a little better than a standard 5e character, but I don't think they're that major or game-breaking. Just more incentive for them to try to keep their PCs alive, because the world is still very deadly. This game is still run as a sandbox, so monsters far beyond their CR exist in areas 1st and 2nd level characters may decide to visit.

Jake Johnson

First Post
I'm returning. I played and DM'd AD&D in high school and had a brush with 2E in college. After a long hiatus, I'm excited to DM and maybe play 5E.

I considered returning last year. The combination of bitter criticism of 4E and the impending release of 5E, combined with my busy schedule at the time, dissuaded me. I decided to check back when we got closer to 5E's release. Well, we're here.

After reading about 5E, I immediately pre-ordered everything, then read the Basic Rules when they were released. After asking around a little, I had five people willing to try the Starter Set. We plan to start Hoard of the Dragon Queen as soon as it and the Players Handbook drop.

kiness

Explorer
Ditto for me- played 1e and 2e from 1981 to 1994, missed 3e, 4e, pathfinder. Played Hackmaster for a few years mainly 2007-2010. Would love to play or DM 5e in Greyhawk.

Greyhawk009

First Post
Returning. Played in high school and military in the 80's. Came back when 4e came out, but couldn't find a group to play with regularly. Haven't played in about 4 years. Still looking for a regular group. None of the game stores around here want anything to do with dnd. They're all mtg and pathfinder.

Raith5

Adventurer
I want to be a returning player and give 5e a go. However, my group is locked firmly into 4e and shows little interest in playing 5e, so I am unlikely to play it in the near future if at all.

JEB

Legend
Returning. My last campaign was during 2E, but I was a pretty loyal 3E fan. However, my interest faded with 3.5, and went away entirely with 4E. I eagerly jumped on the playtest, then played Pathfinder Society, and now we're starting a 5E campaign with a bunch of new and lapsed veteran players.

Remove ads