D&D 5E Disengage

SithlordRPGA

First Post
OK maybe I am missing something but one of the guys in my game group is saying with Disengage action you can move right up to any creature without triggering any Opportunity Attacks and then use bonus actions to attack. Am I missing something?

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
You can approach creatures without provoking, no Disengage necessary.

To leave from being adjacent to a creature you need to use the Disengage action or be attacked. If you use Disengage, you still have to move. You could be adjacent to an orc, Disengage, move to another orc, and then Action Surge.

Thaumaturge.

Li Shenron

Legend
What [MENTION=1927]Thaumaturge[/MENTION] says.

You provoke an OA only for moving away from a foe, more specifically when moving out of their reach.

Disengage makes you not provoke OAs, but it costs you an action. If you don't have any bonus actions, it means it costs your only action so you can only disengage and move. If you have bonus actions, disengage still costs you your regular action, but doesn't affect the bonus actions.

Chocolategravy

First Post
What about using the disengage action to move through multiple opponents threat ranges and still not provoking an AO?
Yes, this is a common use for the cunning action rogues get, to disengage and charge through a pack of enemies to attack the BBEG in back. I don't think it gets used to actually disengage as much as it gets used to charge consequence free.

Syntallah

First Post
Yes, this is a common use for the cunning action rogues get, to disengage and charge through a pack of enemies to attack the BBEG in back. I don't think it gets used to actually disengage as much as it gets used to charge consequence free.

I've seen some use as the old Spring Attack feat:

- start 15' away from bad guy
- move in
- attack
- move 15' away without provoking
- rinse, repeat
- profit

Kodam

First Post
DM Rule

Hi!

We had this discussion yesterday. Our DM put emphasis on the term disengage. It's meant the leave a fight, not to move around with impunity. We'll just go with that... *shrug*

Kodam

Remove ads