monk weapons

I have no preconceptions - and I consider the wrist part of the forearm, so to me, we're talking about the same thing. There is no mechanical difference in the game between wrist and forearm. I wasn't trying to read nor "rewrite" your post incorrectly, I just chose a more specific part of the forearm...? (I don't get your angst in this.) Still even grabbing the forearm specifically rather than wrist - I still don't see it as 2-handed combat. I don't consider it possible to ever use 2-H regarding any unarmed strikes. Now if we were talking monk weapons, not including unarmed combat, 2-handed combat is certainly possible, as in wielding a quarter staff.
My *"angst", as you term it, is an increasing weariness with the tendency of some people on forums to reply to what a person did not post. In short, I never mentioned wrist, and it will not work with the secondary hand on the wrist. It will work with the secondary hand loosely on the forearm, because the secondary arm needs to be able to travel as the swing progresses. Before you decide that I am wrong and it will not work, follow the instructions and try it yourself, at least. Presumably with room to swing your arms. Be prepared for minor arm-strain; do not try it if injured.

That I likened it to a hammer blow is entirely intentional. A hammer blow is strengthened by the primary hand travelling across its handle as the swing progresses; this is the same principle.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
No problem, I was just surprised you seem agitated at all in the discussion (but understand when outside issues might be a pain to deal with.) Yeah, I almost never use actual physics when discussing mechanical combat issues. While I can agree with the physics of levers, I don't see D&D/PF as a simulationist game, so arguments with my players between game mechanics and actual physics - I chuck physics out the window in any such discussion as they really don't apply to my point of view.

Note since I do design PF game mechanics for Rite Publishing's Kaidan setting of Japanese horror (PFRPG) (my IP), and have done some design work for Paizo Publishing, I've been told by those who understand PF game mechanics better than I that physics is only loosely related for fluff reasons, but don't have an actual impact in game design at least regarding D&D/PF.

So even if one is holding the other forearm near the elbow for maximum leverage, actual physics still doesn't apply regarding how 2-H combat works in game. 2-H combat requires both hands to be in contact with an "unattached" weapon held in both hands, not one hand holding onto the forearm of a fist attached to your arm - that doesn't constitute 2-handed combat.

Last edited:

Remove ads