monk weapons

Latsu

First Post
Is there any sort of clause that states that monks can't use flurry of blows with a weapon wielded in two hands? I ask because I've never seen it done, is it the case that they have such MAD that they don't have the strength to make it worth while? and if they can use weapons in two hands what options do they have besides the quarterstaff and the Latjang (I think I spelled it right), most monk weapons are light so what one-handed and/or two-handed monk weapons exist within the core, completes, and PH II?
also I recall seeing a feat or class ability that allowed monks to deal unarmed strike damage with monk weapons or improvised weapons but I can't recall where, the drunken master may have been the source of the latter but I don't remember.
Lastly a rules question regarding the eager and warning weapon abilities, would they apply if they were on the end of a double weapon that you weren't using as would be the case when using one side two-handed, I don't see any reason it wouldn't but I'm trying to be thorough.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Dandu

First Post
Is there any sort of clause that states that monks can't use flurry of blows with a weapon wielded in two hands? I ask because I've never seen it done, is it the case that they have such MAD that they don't have the strength to make it worth while?
When using weapons as part of a flurry of blows, a monk applies her Strength bonus (not Str bonus × 1½ or ×½) to her damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether she wields a weapon in one or both hands. The monk can’t use any weapon other than a special monk weapon as part of a flurry of blows.

captnq

First Post
When using weapons as part of a flurry of blows, a monk applies her Strength bonus (not Str bonus × 1½ or ×½) to her damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether she wields a weapon in one or both hands. The monk can’t use any weapon other than a special monk weapon as part of a flurry of blows.

Uh... where did you get that from? I know of no ruling that states that a monk does not get the strength multiplier on flurry of blows.

If fact, if I take a NoNW, add sizing to my fist, I can increase the size of my fist to a 2 handed weapon, hold my fist in two hands, then add the two handed damage multiplier.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Uh... where did you get that from? I know of no ruling that states that a monk does not get the strength multiplier on flurry of blows.

If fact, if I take a NoNW, add sizing to my fist, I can increase the size of my fist to a 2 handed weapon, hold my fist in two hands, then add the two handed damage multiplier.

As Dandu points out there is a ruling that states a monk does not get the strength multiplier on flurry of blows.

Not only that, but unarmed strikes count as a light weapon and you cannot apply 2 handed weapon ability for strength bonus to a light weapon, no matter what size it is. This does not even account for your silly hold your fist with 2-hands - do you have 3 hands? If your fist is one of the hands, you could hold your fist with the other hand, but you don't have a third fist to hold your hand, so you're entire point here is beyond silly.

Last edited:

delericho

Legend
Lastly a rules question regarding the eager and warning weapon abilities, would they apply if they were on the end of a double weapon that you weren't using as would be the case when using one side two-handed, I don't see any reason it wouldn't but I'm trying to be thorough.

As far as I can tell, these should both apply.

Edit: Having checked the "Magic Item Compendium", this is only half right. The warning property gives a bonus provided the weapon is held, meaning it does apply if you're using the other end of the weapon. However, the eager property only gives a bonus when being weilded, and so does not.

(Note that they do stack - warning is a +5 insight bonus to initiative, and eager an untyped +2 bonus.)

Last edited:

Latsu

First Post
would it be unreasonable for a DM to allow a monk character to use a quarterstaff two handed though? meaning attacking with one side as a one-handed weapon in two-hands giving him 1.5x his strength modifier? I don't think it'd hurt to give monks a little something to help out the damage output

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I think that if a monk chose to wield a quarterstaff two handed with the intention of making a standard attack, he should be allowed to gain 2-handed bonus damage, however, this could not be used in combination with flurry of blows which has its own stated limitations described above.

Dandu

First Post
As Dandu points out there is a ruling that states a monk does not get the strength multiplier on flurry of blows.

Not only that, but unarmed strikes count as a light weapon and you cannot apply 2 handed weapon ability for strength bonus to a light weapon, no matter what size it is. This does not even account for your silly hold your fist with 2-hands - do you have 3 hands? If your fist is one of the hands, you could hold your fist with the other hand, but you don't have a third fist to hold your hand, so you're entire point here is beyond silly.

fight4.jpg

Remove ads