monk weapons

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Yes, this is how I imagined the kind of attack Captng was trying to imply. That said, your hand needs to be empty to form a fist. Since both of Kirk's hands are holding the other hand, there are no fists in this example. Thus it still doesn't apply.

delericho

Legend
Yes, this is how I imagined the kind of attack Captng was trying to imply. That said, your hand needs to be empty to form a fist.

Yes, but "unarmed strike" isn't necessarily a fist - it could just as easily be a kick, head-butt, shoulder charge, or similar.

Of course, per RAW these are all light weapons, and so none of them can benefit from the Strength multiplier (or, indeed, any Power Attack). That's maybe an oversight in the RAW - if nothing else, there's an opportunity for a house-ruled feat to 'fix' it.

Edit: Oops, I made a mistake: Power Attack can be added to unarmed strikes - there's a specific exception in the feat description.

Last edited:

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Yes, but "unarmed strike" isn't necessarily a fist - it could just as easily be a kick, head-butt, shoulder charge, or similar.

Of course, per RAW these are all light weapons, and so none of them can benefit from the Strength multiplier (or, indeed, any Power Attack). That's maybe an oversight in the RAW - if nothing else, there's an opportunity for a house-ruled feat to 'fix' it.

Edit: Oops, I made a mistake: Power Attack can be added to unarmed strikes - there's a specific exception in the feat description.

I never stated that unarmed strikes were fists only. I was responding to Captnq's post regarding enlargening your fist to wield it 2-handed... which is just silly.

Last edited:

I never stated that unarmed strikes were fists only. I was responding to Captnq's post regarding enlargening your fist to wield it 2-handed... which is just silly.
Try placing your secondary hand loosely on your primary forearm, with your primary arm held in front of you, and push with your secondary hand as you swing your primary fist in a hammer-like blow. You will gain a notable amount of speed, and thus force. Yes, it is awkward, such that it would be harder to hit with it. Which entirely fits the description of power attack, and allows your primary hand to form a fist.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Try placing your secondary hand loosely on your primary forearm, with your primary arm held in front of you, and push with your secondary hand as you swing your primary fist in a hammer-like blow. You will gain a notable amount of speed, and thus force. Yes, it is awkward, such that it would be harder to hit with it. Which entirely fits the description of power attack, and allows your primary hand to form a fist.

I recognize how its supposed to work, but calling it 2-handed combat is what I find silly, and you shouldn't gain the benefits of 2-handed combat doing this, since its one hand holding onto the wist of the other hand which comprises the weapon.

I recognize how its supposed to work, but calling it 2-handed combat is what I find silly, and you shouldn't gain the benefits of 2-handed combat doing this, since its one hand holding onto the wist of the other hand which comprises the weapon.
Since I said forearm, not wrist, please re-read my post completely and without preconceptions. I am not talking about what you seem to think I am talking about.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Since I said forearm, not wrist, please re-read my post completely and without preconceptions. I am not talking about what you seem to think I am talking about.

I have no preconceptions - and I consider the wrist part of the forearm, so to me, we're talking about the same thing. There is no mechanical difference in the game between wrist and forearm. I wasn't trying to read nor "rewrite" your post incorrectly, I just chose a more specific part of the forearm...? (I don't get your angst in this.) Still even grabbing the forearm specifically rather than wrist - I still don't see it as 2-handed combat. I don't consider it possible to ever use 2-H regarding any unarmed strikes. Now if we were talking monk weapons, not including unarmed combat, 2-handed combat is certainly possible, as in wielding a quarter staff (which means you are armed, not unarmed).

Last edited:

Remove ads