D&D 5E MPMB's D&D 5e Character Tools

danglading

First Post
I don't really update the Excel spell sheet generator anymore as all of its functionality has been integrated into my PDF Character Record Sheet and most of it has been improved upon. The Excel is still notably faster though, but that is really the only thing I feel that is still better about using the Excel than the PDF. Okay, that is a bit besides the point, I just want you to know that you are probably best off using the PDFs found on DMs Guild.

What you are describing is indeed not how the sheet is supposed to work. As soon as you select a class, the button's caption should change. As this is apparently not happening, the macro must no longer be able to see the correct cell's content. Did you by any chance copy/paste/cut something into or out of the cell where you are supposed to select the class? I just downloaded the Excel and opened it and could add a subclass without any problems.
Alternatively, this could be related to the language of your Excel as Excel is notoriously bad at being language-independent. Which version of Excel 2016 do you run and what language? You can find both answers under File >> Account.

I used the most up-to-date pdf on Sunday evening and, other than the time delay, the generated spell sheet worked great. That was for a level 9 cleric, straight from the PHB. My initial trouble was for a different character, who is a multi-class Sorcerer Warlock. I have not yet tested that character on the new pdf because the latest UA (Revised Class Options, with the Celestial Warlock Patron) is not included in the assets as of yet. (Which I why I was trying to add the custom subclass to the Excel.)

So, to your questions: Regarding what version/language of Excel, it's a brand spanking new (as in: installed & activated minutes before the issue occurred) copy of Excel 2016, American English. So I doubt language is the issue. I don't remember pasting anything into the Class cell, but I'm pretty sure I typed into it before realizing I should have selected a class with the drop-down. It's entirely possible this messed up my file. I thought I already thought of this by starting over with a new copy of the file, but I lost track of everything I tried. Based on your suggestion, I just grabbed a brand new copy of the file and tested things, and it seems to be working properly. I probably borked the Class cell, as you suggested. Thanks!

I'm definitely interested in trying to get the newest UA content into the pdf, and I know you have some FAQ information on how to do that, but I have not yet had the opportunity to try to figure it out. I have no training in computer programming of any sort, so I'm going to be winging it unless someone beats me to the punch and creates that content for me. Regardless, thanks for the feedback, and thanks again for all the amazing work you put into the file.

I did not import a character. I started with a fresh sheet. I left the sheet without the pages removed/hidden when I sent it. I was able to get it to misbehave consistently. I don't get an error, just the deleting dialog never goes away. I can still exit and Adobe asks if I want to save.

I don't remember the exact steps I take - but I always start a new character with a fresh sheet.

I will try to reproduce with all details as to what I do.

I pretty much just start a new character, click the OK dialog, let the sources update with no changes.
The prepare for AL
click the OK on Patreon page
on th AL log page
enter char name, clich dropdown for faction
click name field and fill in my name, hit tab to DCI
click outside the boxes to update, then back to the top to remove pages from view
uncheck feats and magic items
uncheck companion
uncheck notes
uncheck reference sheet
I go back to look and the Adventurers Log that was previously there is gone and the reference sheet is there.
If I go to remove the reference sheet - the deleting box with the completion bar stays on the screen and doesn't advance and just stays there.
If I go to close the sheet, I still get the dialog - do I want to save
I say no and try again

I haven't filled in ANY other items for the character, level, race, class - anything

I fill in Character name, faction, my name, dci number

I did not import a character. I started with a fresh sheet. I left the sheet without the pages removed/hidden when I sent it. I was able to get it to misbehave consistently. I don't get an error, just the deleting dialog never goes away. I can still exit and Adobe asks if I want to save.

I don't remember the exact steps I take - but I always start a new character with a fresh sheet.

I will try to reproduce with all details as to what I do.

I pretty much just start a new character, click the OK dialog, let the sources update with no changes.
The prepare for AL
click the OK on Patreon page
on th AL log page
enter char name, clich dropdown for faction
click name field and fill in my name, hit tab to DCI
click outside the boxes to update, then back to the top to remove pages from view
uncheck feats and magic items
uncheck companion
uncheck notes
uncheck reference sheet
I go back to look and the Adventurers Log that was previously there is gone and the reference sheet is there.
If I go to remove the reference sheet - the deleting box with the completion bar stays on the screen and doesn't advance and just stays there.
If I go to close the sheet, I still get the dialog - do I want to save
I say no and try again

I haven't filled in ANY other items for the character, level, race, class - anything

I fill in Character name, faction, my name, dci number
I am still not able to reproduce anything like the issue that you are having. The fact that the one page template is being generated behind the other one is very strange. Have you been able to reproduce this on an other machine?

v12.994 - UA: Revised Class Options & many bugfixes

Sorry for the delay with incorporating the latest UA article. Life is hectic right now and I also still haven't really gotten around to make a good start with the magic item functions.
Anyway, this update patches a lot of bugs that have been reported and offers some fixes for longer-lasting problems.

[H6]Changelog for MPMB's Character Record Sheet v12.994 (25 June 2017):[/H6]
  • NEW CONTENT: the 4 revised subclasses and 15 revised/new Eldritch Invocations from the Revised Class Options Unearthed Arcana;
  • NEW FEATURE: the date fields on the Adventure Logsheets now have date-pickers to make things easier;
  • Implemented an undocumented Acrobat feature that should remedy text in the dialogues being cut-off when the DPI scaling of your operating system is set to more than 100%;
  • Fixed some more problems with the equipment section (thanks uly for reporting);
  • Added “Magic Stone” as an attack option;
  • Fix for the Wood Elf Magic feat (thanks Nathan W. for reporting);
  • Fixed a bug that caused spell slots not to be removed when removing all (sub)classes, which sometimes caused you to end up with double the amount of spell slots when changing subclass (thanks Nick W. for reporting);
  • Reworked the functions for adding and removing resistance to make them more versatile and remove errors with removing those not in the drop-down list (thanks Headbomb for reporting);
  • Made the pop-up reminder for generating Spell Sheets also work when first adding a class (as suggested by Erik J.);
  • Fixed some issues with the functionality to print a ‘truly empty’ sheet and added a progress indicator;
  • Corrected typos for the Suggestion spell (thanks Ole H. for reporting);
  • Made off-hand attacks still use negative ability modifiers (thanks Robert N. for reporting);
  • The sheet now automatically removes the Off-hand Attack bonus action when no off-hand attacks are present anymore (as suggested by Robert N.);
  • Fixed an error with the sheet wrongly asking to set level/xp during resetting (thanks Chris H. for reporting);
  • Added the source to things in the “Choose Feature” menu that don’t share the same source/page number as the parent item.
Links: MPMB's Character Record Sheet - Colorful A4/Letter        MPMB's Character Record Sheet - Printer Friendly Redesign

Looking for the original Printer Friendly version with the artwork of the Wizards of the Coast official character sheet (Click here for the preview)?

Become a patron on Patreon, and you will get the Character Record Sheet, Spell Sheets per Class, and Adventure Logsheet with the WotC design!

I have seen it inconsistently on my windows install. It ALWAYS happened with my Linux sheet. Until I can make a consistently repeatable case on windows, I will consider it a Linux quirk

Yunru

Banned
Banned
For Spell Points with Warlocks (or indeed, for Warlocks in general), why not just list their Pact Magic as a Short Rest feature?

For Spell Points with Warlocks (or indeed, for Warlocks in general), why not just list their Pact Magic as a Short Rest feature?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Do you want to have something like:
Code:
[B]Feature       Max    Recover    Used[/B]
Pact Magic     1       SR
Because I don't see how that would add much use to the sheet.

Probably I'm not understanding you correctly. Can you give an example (like a screenshot with the limited feature filled out)?

Last edited:

v12.995 - Bugfix for use on Mac, generate alphabetical/full spell sheets

The last version had an unfortunate bug that affected Mac users out there. This is now fixed.

On top of that, I have completely re-vamped the way the 'extra' pages are being generated. This should make generating additional pages faster and, hopefully, reduce the amount of errors with Acrobat they cause.

[H6]Changelog for MPMB's Character Record Sheet v12.995 (29 June 2017):[/H6]
  • NEW FEATURE: the option to make a spell sheet with all spells, sorted alphabetically or by level;
  • Altered the way how the extra pages for the Companion, Notes, Wild Shape, and Adventurers Log are handled, reducing generation time of subsequent pages and (hopefully) remedying overflow errors);
  • Added the option to set the encumbrance rules to the AL legal version in the AL menu (as suggested by @ Paul_mclaughlin);
  • Changed the Set Pages Layout menu to be more clear;
  • Fix for the Patreon dialogue being oversized on Mac;
  • Fix for multiclassing Rogues not getting proficiency in Thieves’ Tools (thanks Lewis H. for reporting);
  • Fix for the heal button restoring half the max HD instead of half the used HD (thanks Gawain for reporting);
  • Fix for Kensei weapons not all showing up as counting as magical (thanks Aaron R. for reporting);
  • Fix for some creatures appearing twice in the Wild Shape ‘add shape’ menu (thanks Mike T. for reporting.
Links: MPMB's Character Record Sheet - Colorful A4/Letter        MPMB's Character Record Sheet - Printer Friendly Redesign

Looking for the original Printer Friendly version with the artwork of the Wizards of the Coast official character sheet (Click here for the preview)?

Become a patron on Patreon, and you will get the Character Record Sheet, Spell Sheets per Class, and Adventure Logsheet with the WotC design!

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Do you want to have something like:
Code:
[B]Feature       Max    Recover    Used[/B]
Pact Magic     1       SR
Because I don't see how that would add much use to the sheet.

Probably I'm not understanding you correctly. Can you give an example (like a screenshot with the limited feature filled out)?

That's exactly what I meant, yes!
It'd be good for spell points, at the very least.

Just thought I'd mention it because it's how I'm handling my Warlock/Cleric that uses spell points for spellcasting (but not Pact Magic).

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
The last version had an unfortunate bug that affected Mac users out there. This is now fixed.

On top of that, I have completely re-vamped the way the 'extra' pages are being generated. This should make generating additional pages faster and, hopefully, reduce the amount of errors with Acrobat they cause.

[H6]Changelog for MPMB's Character Record Sheet v12.995 (29 June 2017):[/H6]
  • NEW FEATURE: the option to make a spell sheet with all spells, sorted alphabetically or by level;
  • Altered the way how the extra pages for the Companion, Notes, Wild Shape, and Adventurers Log are handled, reducing generation time of subsequent pages and (hopefully) remedying overflow errors);
  • Added the option to set the encumbrance rules to the AL legal version in the AL menu (as suggested by @ Paul_mclaughlin);
  • Changed the Set Pages Layout menu to be more clear;
  • Fix for the Patreon dialogue being oversized on Mac;
  • Fix for multiclassing Rogues not getting proficiency in Thieves’ Tools (thanks Lewis H. for reporting);
  • Fix for the heal button restoring half the max HD instead of half the used HD (thanks Gawain for reporting);
  • Fix for Kensei weapons not all showing up as counting as magical (thanks Aaron R. for reporting);
  • Fix for some creatures appearing twice in the Wild Shape ‘add shape’ menu (thanks Mike T. for reporting.

Hi there! Been lurking, good work :)

I've updated to v12.995, and when importing from a v12.993 PDF, I get the following error (and blank sheet):

Code:
An error occured during importing:
 TypeError: event.target is undefined
 fileName: Document-Level:Functions2;
 lineNumber: 5314;
 columnNumber: 0;

undefined

Previous imports have worked fine. :)

Remove ads