What about elven or dwarven related templates?

Gez

First Post
You want what exactly ? A halfbreed template ?

There is the lythari (elf werewolf, but CG, white fur, no hybrid form), and one may try to reverse-engineer the draegloth (drow-glabrezu crossbreed), durzagon (duergar/barbazu) and fey'ri (gold elf tiefling) in order to turn them into templates...

Or are you looking for something more different ? A stony template for dwarves, a vegetab^hle template for elves ?

Last edited:

Mjollnir

First Post
Those all would do fine. I know of the draegloth, seen it in the MoF. The rest are all unknown to me... Any web on the net where i can find them?

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Fey'ri is in Monsters of Faerun, as well.

Durzagon is in MM2.

When I saw this thread title, I was thinking more along the lines of half-breeds, though-- templates that would make a character half-elven, half-dwarven, or half-orcish. Then, you would remove the Half-Elf (which noone plays anyway) and replace the Half-Orc with the full Orc as a player race. Players interested in half-breeds could then choose a normal player race and apply the appropriate template.

Though, unless the templates removed some of the natural abilities of the race, they'd have to be ECL +1 templates. That would be a fairly workable solution, though.

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
Korimyr the Rat said:
When I saw this thread title, I was thinking more along the lines of half-breeds, though-- templates that would make a character half-elven, half-dwarven, or half-orcish.

I saw this actually implemented by feats (that may, of course, only be taken at first level).

I.e., elf-blood gives you sleep immunity, +2 against enchantment, low-light vision, +1 listen, spot & check, and knowledge of elven language. Orc-blood gives darkvision, knowledge of orcish languages, and the racial adjustment (+2 Str -2 Int -2 Cha).

The asset is that is makes things more consistant and streamlined. If you want to create a dwelf (they do have canon support from old 2e material, in Dwarves Deep), you could take a dwarf and give him elf-blood, or the reverse if you've come up with a dwarf-blood feat.

The drawback is some of these feats are quite powerful for feats. And of course, like with templates, some people will have mechanics to create things that really don't make sense from a logical standpoint (like an elf with elfblood, so as to get +3 listen spot and check total and +4 against enchantment).

Here's a work-around: make that two feats. Each must be taken at first level only, and one has the other has a prerequisite. Only humans, among the base races, will be able to get the Strong Whatever-Blood feat, which echoes the fact only humans seems to breed with whatever they can find (the other half of half-elf, half-orc, half-ogre, half-giant, etc., is always human).

Mjollnir

First Post
Let's consider a half high elf/half drow. Stats modifiers would go well like this?...
+2 DEX, -2 CON, +1 CHAR (females only?), +1 INT
Low light vision/ Darkvision radomly got or if chosen, the second one would bring Light sensitivity.
Spell Resistance (Half as a normal drow)
Spell Inmunity (Half as a normal elf)
+2 on Listen, Search and Spot skills
Weapon proficiencies: either blades or bows (I personally select the first ones considering drow style of fighting)
Forget something?:confused:
Tell me what you think...

Gez

First Post
Thou shall not use odd modifiers, for odd modifiers are sinful
Thous shall not make racial or class ability random; for it upset Balance and the Chaos of Randomness is already well enough present in HD and ability scores
Crossbreeds of subraces are statistically as either one of their parents, with purely cosmetic presence of the other parent

From the 42 Commandment of Colorful D&D.

If you really wanted elves that blended dark and surface background, they would have surface elven traits, minus the trance thing, plus darkvision (and still have low-light vision, remember they are not mutually exclusive, and neither is better than the other: LLV is much more valuable in exteriors, for you can see much farther; DV is better in underground places).

LeifVignirsson

First Post
Wouldn't that be, in reality, just a half-elf with an extra ability or maybe two? Remember that tainting blood will also taint abilities, just look at the Human breeding with Elf scenario that makes our Half-Elf. I know, it isn't as exciting, but in my campaign (which has a very heavy elf flavor... mmmmm... tasty elves...), Drow and High Elf kins are just considered Half-Elves with darker skin and lesser tolerance to light, just like the White Elves I posted earlier. But then that is just me...

Remove ads