Best simple purchase you've made

delericho

Legend
In terms of price-per-use, my best purchase ever is the 3.5e PHB, followed by my bagpipes. (The latter has the advantage that they have at times made me money.)

The simple purchase that has most improved my quality of life is this cookbook - it's not the best book I have, but it was where it all started for me.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
A small pink battery powered hand held screwdriver. Got it on sale, 5$, four different heads, once charged last a month. It is no bigger than your hand. Use it almost every day at work. Yea, I get crap about it being pink but it is so handy, light and portable.

nerfherder

Explorer
Well, I wouldn't say that this item has improved my life by a significant amount, but it is something that I ended up using far more than I thought I would - a Mobi wifi SD card for my camera.

I like to do a bit of photography, and have a DSLR and a few lenses. I also like to post my photos to social media, to share with my friends. Before I had the Mobi card, that meant either waiting till I got my DSLR home (and downloading files to my PC, then uploading them to social media), or taking a shot with my phone. Now I can happily shoot with my DSLR, knowing that it is transferring the JPG files to my phone, and while I'm resting I can quickly and easily share one or two of my favourite shots online. I still download, process and catalogue the original RAW files when I get home, but I'm also now getting the instant sharing with friends.

e.g. when I was visiting Liverpool Cathedral:

10646992_10152442962323460_3018472248960618589_n.jpg

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure

Scott DeWar

Well, I wouldn't say that this item has improved my life by a significant amount, but it is something that I ended up using far more than I thought I would - a Mobi wifi SD card for my camera.

I like to do a bit of photography, and have a DSLR and a few lenses. I also like to post my photos to social media, to share with my friends. Before I had the Mobi card, that meant either waiting till I got my DSLR home (and downloading files to my PC, then uploading them to social media), or taking a shot with my phone. Now I can happily shoot with my DSLR, knowing that it is transferring the JPG files to my phone, and while I'm resting I can quickly and easily share one or two of my favourite shots online. I still download, process and catalogue the original RAW files when I get home, but I'm also now getting the instant sharing with friends.

e.g. when I was visiting Liverpool Cathedral:

View attachment 69074

NOOOO!!!! not Cathulhu! AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH.............

Nellisir

Hero
if they made those wrenches with a longer handle, I would love them. I am quite often in need of 1 in+ sizes with extra long length to get the torque needed to use a hole punch for steel cabnets to connect conduit.
I'm surprised they don't make them longer, actually. You could fab them yourself. Get one of the one-ended ratchet sets & cut the open end off. Use a piece of pipe for length. A bit of a hack, but maybe worth it? I just find them so convenient in so many places. I have two little boxes that carry a complete set of metric & US sockets, plus hex keys of both standards, plus a star key set, and then I've got the ratcheting set - throw in an adjustable crescent wrench and I'm good 98% of the time.

As for the pliers, when work was slow, my boss would have me work on his horse ranch on his fence and those pliers are gold!
We had a set in the scene shop at college. First thing I bought when I started doing construction (or maybe the ratcheting wrenches were...). Brilliant for pulling nails, staples, ad-hoc pliers, cutting things, banging on things.... I don't take them on jobs much, but they're always used around the shop.

Scott DeWar

as for wrenches, I just carried a longhandled crescent for ease of the sheer number of tools I had to keep handy otherwise.

Couple of things......

small zip ties of various sizes

Wrap / handle thingy for extension power cords of 50+ feet

small shelf on wheels for regularly used DnD books at the computer

weed whacker piece for brush / weeds vs just grass

Scott DeWar

I have put a lot of thought and there are no real cheap things that have be life changers for me. cheap does not last for me at all.

Fisher space pens (I prefer the bullet designs and the non-reflective black versions) and Moleskine notebooks. No, as notebooks and pens go, they aren't cheap, but they are still inexpensive for quality items.

Remove ads