Best simple purchase you've made

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I love my Fisher Space Pen, but prefer my Rotring multi pens: having a pen, pencil and- depending on configuration- another pen or a stylus was very handy. Alas, the old styluses don't work with the new screens.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Our first "Grillkamin". Sorry, I don't know the English noun for it, so a description has to suffice:

grillkamin.PNG

You put it on your grill, fill it with coals, place some sheets of newspaper in the bottom part and light it. Half an hour later the coals are in perfect condition.

Before we acquired this item, family barbecues were a mad affair because we never got the timing right. Now they've become relaxed.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
They're called chimney starters or charcoal towers. I don't have one, but I know they're pretty good grill toys.

I've even seen some chefs cook on them, since they concentrate the heat. Alton Brown did some ahi tuna atop one...very quicky.

Janx

Hero
Our first "Grillkamin". Sorry, I don't know the English noun for it, so a description has to suffice:

View attachment 69092

You put it on your grill, fill it with coals, place some sheets of newspaper in the bottom part and light it. Half an hour later the coals are in perfect condition.

Before we acquired this item, family barbecues were a mad affair because we never got the timing right. Now they've become relaxed.

yup. Mine cost $7 at the BBQ store. Gets me a positive lighting of charcoal every time. In the old make a pile days, sometimes the fire wouldn't take, and I'd spend more time trying to get it started.

Additionally, the focussed heat makes the charcoal light up faster, so I can grill sooner. Used to take an hour to get the grill ready.

Janx

Hero
I tried using one of those mountaineering clip things to hold my keys. Lost some, because it opened.

Went to the hardware store, found a oval ring with screw closer thing (like a chain link, with a nut that screws it closed). $2. No keys fall off, yet it's easy to open to take off the truck key and hand to the mechanic or valet.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I use the mountaineering clips at the end of a double braid para cord 'strap that holds me and the ladder where it belongs on windy days, but I cannot get key rings to work on the thingy because the diameter if the clip is too big to fit.

Nellisir

Hero
Went to the hardware store, found a oval ring with screw closer thing (like a chain link, with a nut that screws it closed). $2. No keys fall off, yet it's easy to open to take off the truck key and hand to the mechanic or valet.

They're called quicklinks.

Purringchildren

First Post
One of the great and simple things I've purchased was the laptop of my daughter. It is really a good one because it can help us both in all our tasks either for my work and her school projects:)

Remove ads