D&D 5E [OOC] A Light Hearted Princes of Elemental Evil Hack and Slash

My thoughts this morning: probably have to take War Caster. Alternate: Shield Master. Am giving up on Mounted Combatant--too many if/thens for PbP.

Will wait for Creamsteak to weigh in before pulling the trigger. Missed your post on previous page, CS! Yes, thanks for the input on Mounted Combatant. I have a busy day today and will weigh my options at my lunch hour. For now, let's just proceed in the IC and I'll make a decision on the feat by tonight. I won't use the feat in combat until I've decided on something and updated Dent's character sheet with the decision.

Thanks, all, for your valuable input and patience. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

hafrogman

Adventurer
The holy symbol shtick is, admittedly, frustrating. I've never envisioned Dent as a devout of a god. He's perfectly paladin-y without needing a deity. He has all the same courtly abilities as a Knight of Flowers (he protects others (his shield trick), heals (ok, so his lay on hands and cure wounds burn like hell, but still), and is charismatic (which I interpet as intimidating and deceptive)), only with a dark edge. I really don't want a holy symbol for him; it'd be contrary to his belief in Self. He's an anti-paladin.

If I have to have Dent adopt a deity, that's a bitter pill. I'll have a look at the deity list. Not that enthused about it, though. I'm ecstatic how well he's turned out thus far. I was itching to play a bad-boy paladin, and by God I got one (pun intended).
By the rules, there is nothing that requires paladins to worship a god. They are proficient in the holy symbol, but that's just an optional thing.
As far as the holy symbol/divine focus (whatever it may be), the main advantage is that you can get one that attaches to your shield so you don't have to worry about having a hand to hold it. If you wanted to do away with the symbol entirely, you can always use a spell component pouch, but would need a hand free to cast.
And as Forged Fury says here, the material component rules are pretty broad. Pg. 203 Basically you can carry specific components around for your spells OR handwaive any low cost component into a generic pouch OR handwaive the components into a focus. Just for the paladin class, the focus is a symbol or relic (pg. 151) instead of a wand or staff or something.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
So, Carradoc's level 4 update:

hp +7 (4+3 con) to 30
Hit Dice 4d6
+2 second level spells (Misty Step and Rope Trick)
+1 cantrip (prestidigitation)
Ability mod: +2 Intelligence (to good to say no to). adjusts to hit, spell DC, several skills.
+ 2 spells/day
improved arcane recovery
Loot added (Carradoc will carry two scrolls, as discussed).

Updated character sheet at the usual place.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Woo. Sweet sweet Rope trick here we come. There's a pull-out couch in the room, too, and a popcorn machine.* Short rests just got mystically comfortable.

* Popcorn magically flavoured by prestidigitation: Cheese and Onion, Barbecue, and now Cool Ranch will be available.

I selected War Caster. Heading over to the RG to update Dent's sheet now, and then to the IC to post.

Long day here. Could do with some Sesame Snaps. Or maybe a huge glass of Syrah.

EDIT: Paid 5 gp for Dent to have a gold inlaid "holy symbol" / divine emblem of Mirabar (his unit) on his shield. Thought about taking a phylactery containing a snippet of the Knight Captain's uniform or a lock of his hair that Dent wears on his forehead, but, well, that's just a skosh too creepy even for Dent. Emblem it is!

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hey guys,

FYI, I'll likely be MIA Thursday as I travel back from Asia.
Fortunately, with all that fun, fun jetlag, I'll have plenty of time to catch up! ;-)
Cheers,

SG

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Safe travels, SG. I know it's been a work trip, but I hope you saw a few cool things while there.

Thanks! I keep having flashes of Bill Murray in lost in translation: jetlag is just nasty! However, the cultural experience is interesting, even more so that I'm soon leaving for home ;-)
Thanks again and cheers,

SG

Remove ads