D&D 5E [OOC] Securing the Alliance: An Adventure in Tethyr [ENDED]

Forged Fury

First Post
Once we get the gear squared away, we can move forward. I thought I remember CB suggesting that the characters should talk about something outside, so I'm not sure that's done yet.

Note that it's late afternoon, so you will be likely arriving in Port Kir on 9 Marpenoth in the early-to-late afternoon, assuming you decide to camp sometime later on in the evening.

Egon

First Post
Since they're single use for you, I'll let you have a spell scroll for 100 GP X Spell Level. In case there is any interest there.

And I'm going to take you up on that. 1st level spell scroll for 100. I'm then going to purchase a backup focus (staff; 5 gp), an extra diamond for chromatic orb (50 gp; incorporated into the focus), and a potion of healing (50 gp per the equipment list in the PHB). That leaves me with...5 GP, if my math is right.

Not sure on the spell; I'm torn between Entangle and Identify. I'm thinking Identify might have its use later in the game? Yeah, I'll go Identify.

Equipment is being updated as we speak!

Forged Fury

First Post
I think the spell has to be on your spell list. The basic rules aren't clear on it (suggesting that anyone can cast a spell off a spell scroll with a successful Intelligence (Arcana) check), but I think the DMG itself has the full rules for it and eliminates that possibility. I unfortunately don't have it here at work. The reason I mention it is I don't think Entangle is on your spell list.

Identify is (pretty sure), but it's use is limited somewhat in this edition. You can get the same general benefit from a short rest. There are some advantages to Identify over the short rest option (sometimes identified curses, will let you know of any quirks, etc), but remember that it's one use.

Egon

First Post
Yeah, I read through the rules on spell scrolls before deciding on getting one. The full text from page 139:

PHB said:
Most scrolls are spells stored in written form, while a few bear unique incantations that produce potent wards. Whatever its contents, a scroll is a roll of paper, sometimes attached to wooden rods, and typically kept safe in a tube of ivory, jade, leather, metal, or wood.

A scroll is a consumable magic item. Whatever the nature of the magic contained in a scroll, unleashing that magic requires using an action to read the scroll. When its magic has been invoked, the scroll can't be used again. Its words fade, or it crumbles into dust.

Any creature that can understand a written language can read the arcane script on a scroll and attempt to activate it.

The last sentence is the key phrase in this: Any creature that can understand a written language can read a spell scroll. I don't see anything in the write-up that indicates the spell has to be one that I already have access to.

Now, if you were to rule that because you are allowing me to purchase one with the starting cash that it has to be a 1st or 2nd level spell form my lists (I don't have the cash to go higher than that), then I'm good with that ruling. It's the same as not having access to martial weapons but wanting purchase a martial weapon in the event you needed it later. So if you rule that way, I'm good with changing the spell (Identify is not in my list of 1st level spells).

On the topic of Identify, it's actually a pretty useful spell. It differs from previous editions (I'm looking right at you, 2E) in that you learn EVERYTHING about the object with a single casting, instead of only maybe/potentially learning about 1 property per casting. I won't repost the full text, but you get everything about an object, to include command words, whether it needs attunement, what bonuses/penalties it has...all the way down to what spells were used in the creation of the item. Pretty useful during downtime, even if you can just hire someone in town to identify an item for you.

The question I have on Identify: Do spell scrolls require material components? Identify has a 100 GP pearl as a material component requirement, but the rules don't state if scrolls have to fulfill that. I'm guessing most people don't think big picture when taking scrolls, opting for Fireball or other direct-damage-dealing stuff. Considering I wouldn't be using the scroll for some time, I have no problem with having to acquire the material component; I just need to know if that's a side trek or if scrolls don't have the material requirement on them.

Forged Fury

First Post
^ The above quoted text is clarified elsewhere to be referring to magical scrolls other than spell scrolls (i.e. scrolls of protection, etc.). Or, more specifically, those are the general rules for magical scrolls, but the rules for spell scrolls supersede them. I'll search for the clarification when I get a chance to do so and post it up here. Further, my understanding is that the spell nearly needs to be one that you could learn (e.g. on the Sorcerer Spell List), not one that you already know (on Boddynock's Known Spell list). So even though you don't know magic missile, for instance, you could cast it from a scroll.

WRT to Identify, I think the main reason that it is less than useful from a mechanical perspective in this edition is that you gain all the knowledge you need to use a magic item by spending a short rest examining it. It's nice if you have the spare spell slot and want to learn a bit more about it or maybe find out if it is cursed. It also helps when time is of the essence, particualrly if it is a magic item requiring attunement.

Spell scrolls, in the item description, specifically indicate they don't require components, so you don't need the pearl.

Here's the write-up from the Basic DM rules on Spell Scrolls
[sblock]Spell Scroll
Scroll, varies

A spell scroll bears the magical words of a single spell,
written in a mystical cipher. Using an action to read the
scroll allows you to cast the spell without components.

If the spell written on the scroll appears on your
class’s spell list, and the spell’s level is one that you
can normally cast, you cast the spell successfully.
Otherwise, you must make an Intelligence (Arcana)
check to see if you can successfully cast it. The DC
equals 10 plus the spell’s level. On a failed check,
reading the scroll only consumes its magic with no
other effect.[/sblock]

Egon

First Post
Then it looks like I'm swapping out Identify! Which isn't a big deal; if it has to be on the list of sorcerer spells, then it has to be on that list. So I'll switch that out for...hmmm...so many choices here...

Witch Bolt. Assuming the hit is successful, I'd be cool with doing an automatic d12 lightning damage per round for up to 10 rounds. Yeah, that's pretty useful right there!

Forged Fury

First Post
Yeah, the sorcerer is kind of gimped when it comes to spell scrolls. I didn't realize their spell lists were so short. You don't have access to most of the utility spells where scrolls could be useful (find familiar, unsees servant, tenser's floating disk, etc). That's kind of a bummer. If i were choosing, I'd probably go for For Cloud or something like that for a Get Me Out Of Here! spell that I otherwise wouldn't dedicate a Known slot.

Witch Bolt has very peculiar requirements. Make sure you cast it in a room where the opponent can't get out of range of the spell. All they have to do is move 30' away from you and the spell ends.

Egon

First Post
Yeah, the more I read spells, the more I dislike some of them.

Question: Could I use Distant Spell with a spell scroll to double the range, thereby making Witch Bolt 60 feet? It's rare when someone can get more than 60 feet away from someone in a single turn, assuming I was standing almost next to them to begin with.

Last edited:

Remove ads