Deity Ranks: Quasideities, Lesser Deities, Greater Deities

gyor

Legend
Things I've noticed in reguards to deity rank, all pervious demigod deities got a promoted to lesser deities because demigods are now closer to traditional demigods and can't grant spells to clerics.

Greater Gods Avatars are basically Lesser Gods, that could have interesting angles if their Avatars are unique from each other.

Quasi Deities I hadn't given alot of thought to before, but I realized Empyreans, Kraken, the Terrasque, and other Titans are concidered Quasigods, so they are a kind of God, abit the weakest. Quasigods are subranks. Titans I think are the most powerful, next Vestiages, with Demigods with their mortal parents the weakest.

I'd love to see demigods monsters, who are Fiends (Evil or Celestials (any Good), Elementals (Chaotic Nuetral, Lawful Nuetral, True Nuetral ) depending upon alignment, like medium sized, weaker half mortal Empyreans, bit more varied.

We do have Celestial Pacts with Empyreans in 5e, eventually Kraken Pacts for Krakens, so they are well set up for exotic cults, Fiend pact for more Fiendish Titan, and Great Old One for anything that doesn't fit with other Titans like Atropals and Astral Dreadnoughts.

Should cosmic powers like Archfiends, Solars and other Archcelestials, Archmentals, Archfey, Archsorrowsworn, Primus, Slaadi Lords be concider a fourth catogory of Quasideity?

Last edited:

Herosmith14

First Post
Honestly, I think atropal would work as an Undying pact better than GOO, though it makes some sense for AD.

Don't know what to do for big brawler Tarasque, though.

gyor

Legend
It occurs to me that perhaps Angels should also have gotten the Titan tag, even though Devas are medium sized because they are made from the Divine Essence of Gods themselves, so there is over lap between them and Titans.

gyor

Legend
Honestly, I think atropal would work as an Undying pact better than GOO, though it makes some sense for AD.

Don't know what to do for big brawler Tarasque, though.

The problem is Atropals were never mortal, they are undead still born Empyreans and the biggest baddest one Atropus is said in MTOFs to be an Elder Evil that can grant Great Old One Pacts.

For Tarrassque cultists I'd still use Great Old one pact, as its the most versitile pact, its Elder Evils, Ancient Primordials, and other very Alien beings that don't fit into other pacts, even Ubtao of Chult.

Yaarel

He Mage
Rather that convoluted definitions of ‘deity’.

I would rather the rules organize around levels.

Any creature that is level 21 and higher is ‘epic’ and is an ‘immortal’.

There might be finer distinctions. Something like:

Levels 25-28: Immortal
Levels 21-24: Epic
Levels 17-20: Legend
Levels 13-16: Archon (Archfey, Archwizard, Lord/Lady)

So, if an individual fey or fiend is level 25, then they are an ‘immortal’.
And if an individual celestial is level 13, then they arent an immortal.

dave2008

Legend
Things I've noticed in reguards to deity rank, all pervious demigod deities got a promoted to lesser deities because demigods are now closer to traditional demigods and can't grant spells to clerics.

Greater Gods Avatars are basically Lesser Gods, that could have interesting angles if their Avatars are unique from each other.

Quasi Deities I hadn't given alot of thought to before, but I realized Empyreans, Kraken, the Terrasque, and other Titans are concidered Quasigods, so they are a kind of God, abit the weakest. Quasigods are subranks. Titans I think are the most powerful, next Vestiages, with Demigods with their mortal parents the weakest.

I'd love to see demigods monsters, who are Fiends (Evil or Celestials (any Good), Elementals (Chaotic Nuetral, Lawful Nuetral, True Nuetral ) depending upon alignment, like medium sized, weaker half mortal Empyreans, bit more varied.

We do have Celestial Pacts with Empyreans in 5e, eventually Kraken Pacts for Krakens, so they are well set up for exotic cults, Fiend pact for more Fiendish Titan, and Great Old One for anything that doesn't fit with other Titans like Atropals and Astral Dreadnoughts.

Should cosmic powers like Archfiends, Solars and other Archcelestials, Archmentals, Archfey, Archsorrowsworn, Primus, Slaadi Lords be concider a fourth catogory of Quasideity?

I think Quasi deities should be a thing apart. These are all things that have god like power, but are not gods. So you would have

1) Gods: demigod - lesser god - intermediate god - greater god; with a clear rank going from weakest to strongest

2) Quasi-deities: vestiges, titans, archfiends, archmentals, primordials, arcjhfey, etc.; with no clear rank between the categories

Remove ads