Pathfinder 2E [OOC] JM's "Doomsday Dawn" Pathfinder 2 Playtest Adventure. (Closed)

Looks good I guess. (didn't go over it with a fine tooth comb.)

You can just walk in to the ossuary where the party just finished their fight in the party #2 thread. We'll assume you were at the table when the back story was given (read the first couple pages of the thread) and were late returning for some reason.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I had a player roll 32 times before succeeding on picking a lock. I get what they're trying to do, but I think they can't keep it as it is.

Radaceus

Adventurer
I agree, on the lockpicking, way to cumbersome. It would be better with a diminishing returns approach tot eh DC, every attempt is a -2 to the roll until you can no longer beat the DC ( or roll a 1)

Kaodi

Hero
What was the modifier and what was the DC for rolling 32 times to pick a lock? Also, were the rules for lockpicking updated because in the rulebook it just says that a critical failure only breaks your tools if you have no successes at all. I guess the DC of this lock must be 15 or 16 though, cause it is shame that 24 is not a critical success.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
What was the modifier and what was the DC for rolling 32 times to pick a lock? Also, were the rules for lockpicking updated because in the rulebook it just says that a critical failure only breaks your tools if you have no successes at all. I guess the DC of this lock must be 15 or 16 though, cause it is shame that 24 is not a critical success.

It was the same as our case here, the DC was 15 and the modifier +5. Can only break a tool if the first roll is a one. That's part of the trouble - there was NO consequence for failure, but he still had to roll again and again in order to get to a third success. Everyone else was waiting around for him to open the door and no one was immediately on the other side. (This is a pretty common scenario in adventures). The whole game ground to a halt while the player rolled. 7. 9. 6. 3. 5. 12 (on the die). "Hey, I got a 17, does that do it?" "Yup, but you still have to make two more..." 6. 8. 5. 7. 9.... etc etc.

It was a near playtest rage-quit.

Kaodi

Hero
That is some crazy unlucky die rolling. I mean, every roll has a 50% of success, a 5% chance of two successes and a 5% chance of negative success. To go 32 tries like that is just nuts.

I kind of prefer multiple successes versus DCs in the 52 range. But there has to be a limit to how many failures. Maybe based on training. Untrained, your first failure means no more attempts. Trained, you get 1 failure. Second failure means no more attempts. Expert gets 2 failures, etc.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
That is some crazy unlucky die rolling. I mean, every roll has a 50% of success, a 5% chance of two successes and a 5% chance of negative success. To go 32 tries like that is just nuts.

I get that mathematically it's supposed to be rare. But I see that kind of thing all the time in actual play. In this case, too, it was the first and only time the player got to use his rogue's lockpicking. Talk about a bad introduction to the mechanic!

Remove ads