OOC - Mad King's Monkey (Thread Closed)

Axel

First Post
Axel, can you check the stats with point buy? I think I am seeing 19 points spent, but I could be wrong. Doghead - was there a reason to go with 18 points? Just wondered since PF usually has 15 as standard, 20 as High Fantasy. Does this mean this game concept is in between? Thought I would ask ;)

You're completely and utterly right... I even added it up three times to get 18...ugh! You'd never guess I work with numbers all day and every day. :( Problem fixed-ed in the above.

The Misfortune revelation looks really hard to police in a PbP setting since we all know every die result as soon as it's made. Might need a custom-hack to multiple re-rolls affecting your character daily? Or re-rolls attributable to any within 30' x/day?

Re: divine caster role.
If you're keeping to the gist of the background you posted earlier then the Life mystery seems to me the clearest and most appropriate. Call it a divinely inspired calling? The Lame or Wasting curses could work with the background. Say he/she got hurt in the course of executing their divine duties?? Haunted would also work, but needs more background explanation I guess.

Re: character combos...
I was thinking more about Bayar, as I tend to do when making new characters. He is, I think, looking for some cause to believe in and, as far as rules go, could easily work towards the Battle Herald prestige class. Given he's already Fighter 1, it means he'll need to pickup at least one level each of Cavalier and Bard (Savage Skald) before getting to Battle Herald. That's not impossible, especially if I can tie a Cavalier Order to another character through common cause. My first thought was to jump onto the religious bandwagon via the Cleric or Oracle, but I'm happy to hear everyone else's thoughts.

Re: idea for first adventure, if there isn't already one in the works.

The Portal Guild and Teamster's Guild, to alleviate growing unrest about the state of the Netherworld, organise an endurance race (say, 3-4 days?) between portals for both individuals and teams. To demonstrate how safe the Netherworld is, and always will be, of course...

doghead

thotd
Ok, now come the Oracle questions... Excuse the lengthy typing, but I had to write down these questions now.

[sblock=Question 1 - Misfortune Revelation]
I was thinking about the Dual-Cursed Archetype, taking Haunted as the curse that does not ever increase past first level, along with Lame curse for the full effect as he/she levels. This brought about the question of how you would interpret the Misfortune revelation I could take.

Misfortune (Ex): At 1st level, as an immediate action, you can force a creature within 30 feet to reroll any one d20 roll that it has just made before the results of the roll are revealed. The creature must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll. Once a creature has suffered from your misfortune, it cannot be the target of this revelation again for 1 day.

Is that interpreted as the possibility of using this ability as many times as available (one per person affected) each day? In other words, with a group of 4 or 5 other characters, they would EACH be available to have this benefit on a daily basis, as well as each enemy? I could use this 5 times a day (one per person) if I read this right. Again, it costs an immediate action, but one worth asking about now, in case it's the one I choose.[/sblock]

[sblock=Question 2 - What's My Role?]
I was looking at all the mysteries available and realized that some of them would be the same thing the bard would be doing. So, the main question is, what role should I play in this group? I know healing will be needed, so I am looking at using spells for that, since I can spontaneously cast any spell I know when needed. I won't have channel unless I take the Life Mystery for Channel Revelation as a choice.

To get past this choice, I think I need an idea of what each character sees themselves as being in the group. I know the fighter is the up close and personal type, so that is one melee character in the mix. The rogue, from last I saw, was set on being a melee oriented rogue. That's two melee fighters. The sage is unknown as to if it's a blaster, summoner, controller, buffer, AoE/debuffer, etc. Same with the bard.

Again, this might be moot as the DM just stated that character re-work might be available and not frowned upon. My top choices are as follows:

1 - Haunted Oracle taking the Battle Mystery
2 - Haunted/Lame Dual-Cursed Oracle taking the Battle Mystery
3 - Haunted Oracle taking the Ancestor Mystery
4 - Haunted Seer-Oracle taking the Nature Mystery[/sblock]

Question 1

As I read it, if you interact with 12 people in a day, you can use it 12 times. If you are in a combat with three opponents, you could use it three times in that encounter, 7 if you also use it on your 4 fellow PC's.

The more tricky question is how this would play in PbP. Rolls and results are generally posted at the same time. In fact, you generally don't see the roll, just the result. Posting the rolls first, to allow the Oracle character a chance to use their Misfortune ability to call for a re-roll would be unmanageable.

The only way I can see of managing it would be to all the Oracle character to set 'tripwires'. For example, 'If the orc barbarian rolls a 15 or more on his to hit roll, he has to re-roll it.'

I am not sure why it is called 'Misfortune'. As I read it, there is no reason why the Oracle cannot use the power to make fellow party members re-roll low rolls in the hope that the re-roll will be better. For example: 'If Bayer rolls a 1 on his to hit roll, he has to re-roll it.' Unless the 'term' creature specifically means a non-PC character.

Question 2

Given the 'seat of the pants' nature of the setting, I am open to the idea of re-working characters, even mid-flight if necessary. While I have some ideas, even I am not completely sure how the Netherworld will work. I don't want to see anyone stuck with characters that are not working for them. I want this to be fun. And if it isn't, I want you to tell me.

thotd

doghead

thotd
Whoa. Have you seek the number of prestige classes that there are? Crazy.

Re: character combos...
I was thinking more about Bayar, as I tend to do when making new characters. He is, I think, looking for some cause to believe in and, as far as rules go, could easily work towards the Battle Herald prestige class. Given he's already Fighter 1, it means he'll need to pickup at least one level each of Cavalier and Bard (Savage Skald) before getting to Battle Herald. That's not impossible, especially if I can tie a Cavalier Order to another character through common cause. My first thought was to jump onto the religious bandwagon via the Cleric or Oracle, but I'm happy to hear everyone else's thoughts.

Given that this is E6, Bayer will only be able to pick up one level of Battle Herald as a result of the +4 BAB requirement and the fact that Bards get BAB +0 at first level. That been said, given that this is PbP, is not a issue you are going to have to deal with for a while.

Re: idea for first adventure, if there isn't already one in the works.

The Portal Guild and Teamster's Guild, to alleviate growing unrest about the state of the Netherworld, organise an endurance race (say, 3-4 days?) between portals for both individuals and teams. To demonstrate how safe the Netherworld is, and always will be, of course...

Cheers. Ideas like this give me 1.) stuff to work with and 2.) an insight into the kind of adventures you want your characters to have. I might not use the idea as is, or even at all. But it does give me food for thought.

thotd

doghead

thotd
Once we get four characters drawn up, I'll start a Rogues Gallery thread. Hopefully that will be in the next day or two. One we have four characters in the RG thread, I'll start the IC thread.

Dogheads PbP Guide

1. Post.

2. If in any doubt, post.

3. If you have posted and find yourself sitting around twiddling your thumbs and getting bored waiting for others, post. If you are waiting for me, hi-jack the thread.

4. My aim is try and keep the game moving along. So when posting, especially in combat, describe your character's intentions as well as actions. That way if the situation changes between your post and your characters actions, or if (when?) Real Life gets in the way for a while, I have a reasonable idea of what how your character will respond without having to stop and get clarification.

5. Include any appropriate crunch in an OOC footnote.

6. Use "talking marks for anything said out loud", and italics for thoughts. I am not a fan of colours, it makes me feel like I am reading a book for toodlers.

7. Umm, ... Anyone got anything they think should be added?

ghostcat

First Post
Libros (yeh I finally have a name) sees himself as a book worm and his role as a guide to the Netherworld. In practise, he will be more of a stay at the back and blast things type.

Hopefully, I will get a draft character sheet up today.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
7. Umm, ... Anyone got anything they think should be added?

Stat blocks ?

It would be in spoiler blocks like this:

[sblock=Mini Stats]Vincenzo
AC: 18 (13 flat-footed, 15 touch) (+ variances)
HP: 32/32
CMB: +5 CMD: 17 (+ variances)
Fort: +4 Reflex: +3 Will: +2
Perception: +2
Initiative: +2

Current Weapon in Hand: +1 ivory handled Rapier
Att: +7; Dam: 1d6 + 2, Crit: 18-20/x2, Type: P
Current Conditions in Effect: none
33D3DD
[/sblock]

This one is from a Living Pathfinder game I play gm'ed by GlassEye.

Axel

First Post
Whoa. Have you seek the number of prestige classes that there are? Crazy.

Given that this is E6, Bayer will only be able to pick up one level of Battle Herald as a result of the +4 BAB requirement and the fact that Bards get BAB +0 at first level. That been said, given that this is PbP, is not a issue you are going to have to deal with for a while.

Nuts! I forgot all about the E6 side... Never mind. Will take Fighter and/or Cavalier levels (depending on story side) until ~level 4, then see what's what. Might still go for a Battle Herald, but no dramas otherwise.

I quite like the PF approach to prestige classes. Less is more, in a way. Crazy-ass combos of prestige classes between splat books is one of the things that helps to make it easier to "break" 3.5ed.

ghostcat

First Post
OK. Here we go:

[sblock=Libros, Male Human Sorcerer {Arcane Bloodline - Sage Archetype} (1)]
STR 8 Bonus -1
DEX 14 Bonus +2
CON 14 Bonus +2
INT 18 Bonus +4
WIS 12 Bonus +1
CHA 8 Bonus -1

SAVES
* Fort: +2 [Base +0 +2 CON]
* Reflex: +2 [Base +0 +2 DEX]
* Will: +3 [Base +2 +1 WIS]

ENCUMBERANCE
* Light: 30 ft. (Carry 26lbs)
* Medium: 20 ft. (Carry 53lbs Max Dex +3 Check -3)
* Heavy: 20 ft. (Carry 80lbs) Max Dex +1 Check -6)

COMBAT
* Attacks 1
* Melee -1 [BAB: +0 STR: -1]
* Ranged +2 [BAB: +0 DEX: +2]
* Initiative +8 [DEX +2 Misc +6]
* ArmorClass 12 [Base 10, Armor 0, DEX 2, Shield 0]
* Htpoints 9

WEAPONS
* Crossbow, Light (DMG 1d8, Crit 19-20 x2, Range 80 ft.)
* Dagger (DMG 1d4-1, Crit 19-20 x2)
* Dagger (Thrown) (DMG 1d4-1, Crit 19-20 x2, Range 10 ft.)
* Mace, Heavy (DMG 1d8-1, Crit 20 x2)

RACIAL TRAITS
* Bonus Feat
* Skilled

CLASS FEATURES
* Arcane Bloodline
** Bloodline Arcana (Sage)
*** Arcane Bolt
* Cantrips

CLASS FEATS
* Simple Weapon Proficiency

FEAT
* Combat Casting
* Improved Initiative

TRAITS
* Reactionary
* Focused Mind

SKILLS
Class
*Appraise: 4 [Base 0, INT +4, Class +0, Misc +0]
*Bluff: -1 [Base 0, CHA -1, Class +0, Misc +0]
*Craft (Untrained): 4 [Base 0, INT +4, Class +0, Misc +0]
*Disable Device^: 6 [Base 1, DEX +2, Class +3 Misc +0]
*Fly: 2 [Base 0, DEX +2, Class +0, Misc +0]
*Intimidate: -1 [Base 0, CHA -1, Class +0, Misc +0]
*Knowledge (Arcana): 10 [Base 1, INT +4, Class +3, Misc +2]
*Knowledge (Netherworld)^: 8 [Base 1, INT +4, Class +3, Misc +0]
*Profession (Librarian): 5 [Base 1, WIS +1, Class +0, Misc 3]
*Spellcraft: 10 [Base 1, INT +4, Class +3, Misc +2]
^ Bonus Class Skills
SKILLS
Cross-Class
*Acrobatics: 2 [Base 0, DEX +2, Misc +0]
*Climb: -1 [Base 0, STR -1, Misc +0]
*Diplomacy: -1 [Base 0, CHA -1, Misc +0]
*Disguise: -1 [Base 0, CHA -1, Misc +0]
*Escape Artist: 2 [Base 0, DEX +2, Misc +0]
*Heal: 1 [Base 0, WIS +1, Misc +0]
*Linguistics(Giant): 5 [Base 1, INT +4, Misc +0]
*Perception: 2 [Base 1, WIS +1, Misc +0]
*Perform (Untrained): -1 [Base 0, CHA -1, Misc +0]
*Ride: 2 [Base 0, DEX +2, Misc +0]
*Sense Motive: 1 [Base 0, WIS +1, Misc +0]
*Stealth: 2 [Base 0, DEX +2, Misc +0]
*Survival: 1 [Base 0, WIS +1, Misc +0]
*Swim: -1 [Base 0, STR -1, Misc +0]

EQUIPMENT
Armour
** Total [0lbs]
Weapons
* Crossbow, Light (4lbs)
* Dagger (1lbs)
* Mace, Heavy (8lbs)
** Total [13lbs]
Handy Haversack
* Bedroll [5lbs]
* Blanket (Winter) [3lbs]
* Bolts, Crossbow (10) [1lbs]
* Mug or Tankard (Clay) [1lbs]
* Oil (1 Pint Flask)(x3) [3lbs]
* Rations (Trail/Per Day)(x4) [4lbs]
* Rope (Silk/50 ft.) [5lbs]
* Tent [20lbs]
* Torch(x5) [5lbs]
* Waterskin (Filled)(x2) [8lbs]
* Sunrod [1lbs]
** Total [61lbs]
Handy Haversack - Side Pouch
* Chalk (1 Piece) [0lbs]
* Fishhook [0lbs]
* Flint and Steel [0lbs]
* Thieves' Tools [1lbs]
* Whistle, Signal [0lbs]
** Total [1lbs]

SPELLS
Code:
Spell Level:    0  1
Known Spells:   4  2
Spells per Day: -  4

Spell List:
Level 0: Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Read Magic
Level 1: Grease, Sleep
[/sblock]

APPEARANCE
To say the Libros is not attractive is an understatement. He has coarse black hair which he keeps very close cropped. His face is plain, apart from his eyes which are icy blue and shine with intelligence and are by far his best feature. As for the rest: his nose is too long and hooked, his lips are so thin that they are almost non-existent and he has a weak double chin which he tries to hide with a beard. Unfortunately he is still too young to grow a proper beard and his current attempt can best be described as bum-fluff.

He usually hides his body beneath voluminous, iridescent robes. However, in the unlikely event he is not wearing his robes you would see that his arms and legs are thin, almost matchsticks, and a body where it is possible to count the ribs.

BACKGROUND
Libros never knew his parents. he doesn't even remember his Aunty Anifar. Anifar was the local "bag lady", she was usually seen wondering round the neighbourhood routing through the garbage looking for food and things that she can sell. Ten one day Anifar started to carry a infant on her back. The watch never found were the child came from. Despite extensive check there was no missing child of the the right sex and age. Anifar would only say if was her sister's son. So Libros continued to live with his aunt. As he grow older he was often seen toddling down the street routing in garbage alongside his aunt. One day, when Libros about 2 years old, he was found wondering about on his own. When the watch checked, Anifar was found dead in the hovel where the pair slept.

The local watch sergeant, Febion, and his wife, Marleon, are childless and they decided to adopted orphan Libros. Marleon is a chief librarian and she used to take Libros with her to work. Libros was fascinated by books and learnt to ready by the time he was three. By the time he was eight he could read three languages and has he grow older he master two more. Now what Marleon didn't know was that Libros had found out how to pick the locks on the restricted stacks and, while he was revolted by what he read, he felt that it was best that he understand the beings that were likely to become his enemy, so taught himself the languages of the abyss and the hells. At the same time he became fascinated by the Neverworld and the gates that go through it and read everything in the library that pertained to it.

Meanwhile Febion had been trying to teach Libros the martial arts but without much success. Not only was Libros physically weak but he had absolutely no aptitude or interest in becoming a fighter. He did however develop superb reflexes and seemed to have a second sense if someone was about to attack him.

This all changed when Libros entered puberty and started to display strange powers. As a watch commander, Febion is well connected and contacted most ow the town's magic users trying to get Libros help in controlling his powers. Unfortunately no one could help. While it was generally agreed that Libros displaying sorcerous powers, it was also well known that sorcers used the power of their personality to control their magic. However, Libros was a bookworm and just didn't have the personality that the power that he displayed said he should have. Instead Libros went back to his beloved books and worked things out for himself.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Mini Stat Blocks work. Putting any OOC stuff in spoiler blocks is nice and neat and tidy. I like it.

What is the significance of the '33D3DD'?

thotd

Its a color in hexadecimal.

[color=#33D3DD]color sampler[/color]

will get you this:

color sampler

Remove ads