OOC - Mad King's Monkey (Thread Closed)

Axel

First Post
I'll throw my hat in for Bard too. They're more interesting than other arcane casters in my experience. :)

What is the plan for deities, churches and the rest? Shall we use the standard D&D world? PF standard set (of 20, that I can barely remember half...), some other "pre-gen" or just make them up as we please and need?

Bayar Mk II (with a small tidy up). Thanks for the review HM. Some really ummm....retarded errors in Mk I. Sorry for that. I like your concept of reactionary as a second trait, which frees me up for Power Attack as a level 1 feat while having a high Init bonus still.

[sblock=Character]
Bayar, male human Fighter 1
[sblock]
STR: 16 Bonus +3
DEX: 14 Bonus +2
CON:12 Bonus +1
INT:8 Bonus -1
WIS:12 Bonus +1
CHA:14 Bonus +2

SAVES
* Fort: +3 [Base 2, +1 Con]
* Ref: +2 [Base 0, +2 Dex]
* Will: +1 [Base 0, +1 Wis]

ENCUMBERANCE
* Light 30' (FastMove, Carry 86lbs)
* Medium 20' (FastMove, Carry 53lbs, MaxDex +3, ACP -3)
* Heavy 20' (Carry 230lbs, MaxDex +1, ACP -6)

COMBAT
* Attacks 1
* Melee +4 [BAB +1, Str +3] (Longsword: +6*)
* Ranged +3 [BAB +1, Dex +2]
* Initiative +4 [Dex +2, Trait +2]
* Armour Class 20 (touch 12, FF 18) [Base 10, Armour +6, Dex +2, Shield +2]
* HP 12/12

WEAPONS
* Longsword +1 (Dam 1d8 +4, Crit 19-20x2)
* Short Bow (Dam 1d6, Crit x3)
* Kukri (Dam 1d4 +3, Crit 18-20 x2)

FEATS
* Weapon Focus (Longsword): +1 to hit with attack rolls
* Dazzling Display: Full round action to intimidate all within 30' when wielding Longsword (DC=10+HD+Wis mod). Targets shaken for 1 round plus 1 round for every 5 the DC is beaten by.

CLASS FEATS
* Bonus Feat (Fighter 1): Power Attack: -1 to hit and CM checks for +2 damage (melee only)

TRAITS
Bully: +1 trait bonus to Intimidate, Intimidate is always a class skill.
Reactionary: +2 trait bonus to initiative.

FAVOURED CLASS: Fighter
Level 1: +1 HP

SKILLS (incomplete listing)
Class
* Intimidate: 7 [Base 1, Cha +2, Class +3, Trait +1]
* Profession (Soldier): 5 [Base 1, Class +3, Wis +1]

SKILLS
Cross Class
None-trained

EQUIPMENT
Armour
* Breastplate (30lbs, AC +6, MaxDex +3, ACP -4)
* Heavy Wooden Shield (10lbs, AC +2, ACP -2)
** Total [40 lbs]
Weapons
* Longsword +1 [4 lbs]
* Shortbow [3 lbs]
* Kukri [2 lbs]
* Arrows x20 [3 lbs]
** Total [12 lbs]
Belt Pouch
* Flint and Steel [n/a]
* Whetstone [1lb]
Backpack [2 lbs]
* Bedroll [5 lbs]
* Blanket [3 lbs]
* Shovel [8 lbs]
* Waterskin [4 lbs (full)]
** Total [22 lbs]

** Total [255 gp / n/a]

MONEY
:: PP 0
:: GP 40 [BeltPouch]
:: SP 50
:: CP 0[/sblock]

APPEARANCE
Bayar stands several inches taller than the average male, with broad shoulders and muscular, heavily tattooed arms. His face is angular, with a once-straight nose that looks as though it has been broken more than twice. His beard grows continuously, leaving him with an almost permanent 5 o'clock shadow. He keeps his hair cropped short, in a traditional military style.

Bayar keeps his back straight and head up at all times, almost like he is continuously on parade. His sword is obviously the most expensive item he owns, with a small ruby set in the hilt. Bayar does not trouble to hide it, knowing he can defend it. In combat, he is often one of the worst kind of arrogant egotists - the one that not only thinks he's good but is good at the same time.

When not fighting, Bayar wears his shield across his back, protecting him from the chafing a kit can bring on long marches. He wears his armour at every opportunity where it is socially acceptable, going to pains to polish dents and scratches out of it. Bayar prefers sleeveless shirts where he can get away with it, knowing his tattoos and muscles can give him more chances with ladies than he would otherwise get.

BACKGROUND
Bayar was orphaned at a young age. He does not remember his parents and has never met another family member. He was raised in a priory dedicated to Abadar.

At the priory school, the clergy quickly realised Bayar was not destined for academia. While not stupid, he learned better by doing than in a classroom. Worse, he was large for his age and knew it. Before long he grew into a classic boy bully, faster than anyone stronger and stronger than anyone faster.

At the age of 14 the clergy encouraged Bayar to leave. He was becoming disruptive to the other boys, and the clergy feared him coming into his full strength as a man. Cut loose, he drifted into the Imperial Army.

The Army fitted Bayar like a glove. They took strong boys and made them into killers and men. His skill with a sword was impressive for an inexperienced warrior.

In time, Bayar was sent on campaign and cut his first flesh in earnest. He found he liked it and was, over the course of several years, transferred into one of the heavy infantry divisions that formed the veteran and elite backbone of the Army -The Screaming Gryphons

Here, Bayar won some small renown as a swordsman, claiming his enchanted sword as a prize in a tournament for young enlisted men. It remains his prized possession to this day.

Before long, 5 years had passed and the boy bully had become a man full grown. No longer content with what the Army offered, as far as he would tell his officers, he resigned.

Bayar spent a good portion of his back pay on purchasing the gear he used in the Army - while his sword was his own the armour and other gear was not and had to be paid for. Just another catch the recruiters never told him...

Cut loose from the biggest part of his life Bayar is drifting, a 19 year old man uncertain what to do with the rest of his life.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
What is the plan for deities, churches and the rest? Shall we use the standard D&D world? PF standard set (of 20, that I can barely remember half...), some other "pre-gen" or just make them up as we please and need?

Good question, well asked.

My favourite pantheon comes from Fajitas setting wonderfully revealed in the 'Welcome to the Halmae' SH.

However, for simplicity, perhaps we should just stick to the PF pantheon. There is a description of the various deities on the pathfinder wiki here.

thotd

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Axel, can you check the stats with point buy? I think I am seeing 19 points spent, but I could be wrong. Doghead - was there a reason to go with 18 points? Just wondered since PF usually has 15 as standard, 20 as High Fantasy. Does this mean this game concept is in between? Thought I would ask ;)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
path finder point buy is different from 3.5, by the way.

So, a bard for then!!

[sblock=Character Generation]
First level, 18 point build, max HP at first level, max starting wealth, two traits.

I am going to limit to choice of race to human. This is because I have not yet decided how the non-human races are going to fit in, or even if they are there at all. If you are particularly set on playing another race, PM me.

Each character will be able to speak, in addition to Common, the native tongue of his or her homeland.

Up to two non-class skills can be added to the class skills for the character if written into the background.

New skill: Knowledge (Netherworld).

Each character may start with one magic item of up to 2500gp in value. All you have to do write a description as to how it came into your character's possession. If you want to take something consumable, like potions or scrolls or feather tokens you may take a number of that item up to 2500gp. You cannot mix and match items. This is not a 2500gp spending spree. You don't get to keep the difference.

Here you will find the Four Oracles. Select one Oracle for your character and note it down along with the associated four cards and their descriptors. You may cast as often as you like, but all four cards must come from the same oracle and the same cast. During the game you may use an appropriate oracle to take control of the game and re-write the situation as you so choose in terms of the oracle. Once used, that card is scratched. I have not tried this before, and am not sure how it will work. But regardless, I suspect that it will be interesting.

[/sblock]
Exxx male human Bard 1
[sblock]
STR: 10 Bonus +0 cost 0
DEX: 14 Bonus +2 cost 5
CON:11 Bonus +0 cost 1
INT:14 Bonus +2 cost 5
WIS:12 Bonus +1 cost 2
CHA:16 Bonus +3 cost 5 race: +2

SAVES
* Fort: +0 [Base 0, +0Con]
* Ref: +4 [Base 2, +2 Dex]
* Will: +3 [Base 2, +1 Wis]

ENCUMBERANCE
* Light 30' Carry xxlbs)
* Medium 30' ( Carry xxlbs, MaxDex +3, Check -3)
* Heavy x0' (Carry xxxlbs, MaxDex +1, Check -6)

COMBAT
* Attacks 1
* Melee +0 [BAB +0, Str +0]
* Ranged +2 [BAB +0, Dex+2]
* Initiative +2 [Dex +2]
* Armour Class 16 [Base 10, Armour +3, shield +1, Dex +2]
** flat foot: 13
** touch: 13
** special: with -1 att get +1 dodge bonus
* HP 8/8 HD 1d8

WEAPONS
* Short Spear (Dam 1d8 , Crit x3, Rng 20')
* Short Sword (Dam 1d6 , Crit 19/20 x2)
* Daggar (Dam 1d4 , Crit 19/20 x2, Rng 10')
* Short Bow (Dam 1d6, Crit x3, Rng xx')

TRAITS
* Desperate Focus
* Savant

FEATS
* [human] Combat Expertise
** [char. lv 5] Improbed Feint
* [char. lv 1] Lingering Performance
** [char lv 3] Harmonic Spell

CLASS FEATS
* Bardic knowledge
* bardic performance
* cantrips
* countersong
* distraction
* fascinate
* inspire courage +1

SKILLS [6 [class] +2 [int] +1 [race] +1 [fav]] * 1 [level] = 10
Code:
* [I][B]Acrobatics[/B][/I]: +2  [ranks --, Dex +2, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Appraise[/B][/I]: +2  [ranks --, Int +2, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Bluff[/B][/I]: +7  [ranks 1, Cha +3, class +3]  
* [I][B]Climb[/B][/I] : 0 [ranks --, Str +0] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Craft[/B][/I]: +2 [ranks --, Int +2, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Diplomacy[/B][/I]: +3 [ranks --, Cha +3, class +3]  [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Disguise[/B][/I]: +3 [ranks --, Cha +3, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Escape Artist[/B][/I]: +2 [ranks --, Dex +2, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* Handle Animal: -- [ranks 0, Cha +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* Heal: +1 [ranks --, Wis +1] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Know (Arcana)[/B][/I]: +2 [ranks --, Int +2, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Know (Dungeon)[/B][/I]: +2 [ranks --, Int +2, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Know (Engineering)[/B][/I]: +6 [ranks 1, Int +2, class +3] 
* [I][B]Know (Geography)[/B][/I]: +6 [ranks +1, Int +2, class +3] 
* [I][B]Know (History)[/B][/I]: +6 [ranks 1, Int +2, class +3] 
* [I][B]Know (Local)[/B][/I]: +6 [ranks 1, Int +2, class +3] 
* [I][B]Know (Nature)[/B][/I]: +2 [ranks --, Int +2, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Know (Netherworld)[/B][/I]: +6 [ranks 1, Int +2, class +3] 
* [I][B]Know (Nobility)[/B][/I]: +2 [ranks --, Int +2, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Know (Planes)[/B][/I]: +2 [ranks --, Int +2, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Know (Religion)[/B][/I]: +2 [ranks --, Int +2, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Linguistics[/B][/I]: 0 [ranks --, Int +2, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Perception[/B][/I]: +5 [ranks 1, Wis +1, class +3]
* [I][B]Perform: Wind[/B][/I]: +7 [ranks 1, Cha +3, class +3]
* [I][B]Perform: Vocal[/B][/I]: +7  [ranks 1, Cha +3, class +3]
* Ride: +2  [ranks --, Dex +2] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Sense Motive[/B][/I]: +1 [ranks --, Wis +1, class +3] 
* [I][B]Sleight of Hand[/B][/I]: +2 [ranks --, Dex +2, class +3] 
* [I][B]Spellcraft[/B][/I]: +2 [ranks --, Int +2, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Stealth[/B][/I]: +6 [ranks 1, Dex +2, class +3] 
* Survival: +1 [ranks --, Wis +1] [U]untrained[/U]
* Swim: +0 [ranks --, Str +0] [U]untrained[/U]
* [I][B]Use Magic Dev.[/B][/I]: +3 [ranks --, Cha +3, class +3] [U]untrained[/U]

EQUIPMENT
Code:
Armour
* Studded Leather 25 gp 20 lb
* Buckler 5 gp 5 lb
** Total [30 gp 25 lb]
Weapons
* Short Spear [5 lbs]
* Short Sword [3 lbs]
* Dagger x2 [2 lbs]
* Shortbow [2 lbs]
* Arrows x20 [3 lbs]
** Total [15 lbs]
Belt Pouch
* Flint and Steel [n/a]
Backpack [2 lbs]
* Bedroll [5 lbs]
* Blanket [3 lbs]
* Lantern - Hooded [2 lbs]
* Waterskin [4 lbs (full)]
* ColdWeather Outfit [7 lbs]
* Travel Outfit [5 lbs]
** Total [28 lbs]

MONEY
:: PP   
:: GP 180
:: SP 
:: CP
[/sblock]

APPEARANCE

BACKGROUND
[REDACTED] really was quiet as a child, didn't play much with the other kids. Some said simple, but his parents could see the intelligence behind his eyes. Like a sponge in a sea of knowledge. His mother died when he was 8 of an unknown illness. This left his father, a teamster driver, to raise him on the go. [REDACTED] learned much on the road, where he met a kindly old minstrel whose music kept the animals calm and focused by playing his lute during travels. He wold ride with [REDACTED] and his father during trips across the land and between gates telling of things, of places, of people of far away lands, and [REDACTED] was the ever vigilant sponge, soaking every bit of it up.

By the time he was 12, The minstrel, adept in many musical instruments, had taught [REDACTED] how to play a reed flute, so for his birthday his father bought him one. The two of them would play together for hours on end at camp fire, on the road or at inns during the merchant trips. for another year he would remain so, until a fateful trip across neverwhere. Neverwhere is what he called the land if the Netherworld. Not here, not there, yet both here and there.

It was at the midway point of a long 3 hour trek through mid-gates, as the old minstrel would call the nether regions, at a cross roads. As always, clearly marked with cairn stones, wagon ruts and the crossing path was overgrown. Yet not. One of the wagons, third from the front hit a jut in the road and broke one of its wheels, stopping the train as a whole. [REDACTED] got down to stretch his legs and walked down the line of wagons when out of the corner of his eye he sees what looks like recent movement across the cross path's overgrowth. Young but never impetuous, [REDACTED] wanders off unnoticed. There was no need to keep an eye out for him. Every one knows to NEVER stray the paths. He has never wandered away in the netherlands, but this time he did.

Not far down the path he finds a figure lying on the ground bleeding, a human man by sights, just taller. Until he moved and his ears were seen. Pointed. Eyes shaped as almonds. He looks at the boy and asks for help in a strange lilting accent. He asked [REDACTED] to help him stand, and as he was taught to be kind to others he did. The stranger hands his pack on his back to the boy and says, "Take these to your guards, I will hold IT back. Now run!" He did, as fast as he could. When he arrived back, his father and others were calling for him with worry in their voices.

"Da! DA!" he arrives breathless, his father's face pales to see the direction he arrives from. [REDACTED] reaches in to see what the strange-man sent him with and finds a bundle of 20 arrows of exquisite make. "The strange-man told me to give these to the guards while he holds it off."

"Who told you you to do this?" suddenly the blood curdling scream can be heard.

"him" says the lad weakly. The Father scoops the arrows and gets them to the first guard and tells him, "You will need these. Don't ask."

OOC: can't wait till I wright more, huh?

x

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Damn, now I am looking at going with an Oracle instead of Cleric... Decisions decisions. I know we have one fighter, and a rogue focusing on melee tactics. I don't mind being a healer, but wanted more than simply being the band aid of the group. Oracle seems like a very interesting concept and one that provides plenty of chance for character growth and interaction.

doghead

thotd
Axel, can you check the stats with point buy? I think I am seeing 19 points spent, but I could be wrong. Doghead - was there a reason to go with 18 points? Just wondered since PF usually has 15 as standard, 20 as High Fantasy. Does this mean this game concept is in between? Thought I would ask ;)

I usually would go with the Standard Fantasy 15 points. But I figured that there was going to be a significant element of the unknown with this game, so I bumped it up to 18. I am not really a High Fantasy sort of person.

And yes, in case there is an confusion, we are using the Pathfinder point buy system..

doghead

thotd
Damn, now I am looking at going with an Oracle instead of Cleric... Decisions decisions. I know we have one fighter, and a rogue focusing on melee tactics. I don't mind being a healer, but wanted more than simply being the band aid of the group. Oracle seems like a very interesting concept and one that provides plenty of chance for character growth and interaction.

Fangor, don't sweat the character decision too much. Take the character that interests you.

The aim is to run through the first couple of adventures fairly quickly (relatively speaking). There should be plenty of opportunity to rework or remake characters. Give that this setting is a little experimental, I am also going to be fairly relaxed about allowing on the fly modifications.

Will be interesting to see which mystery and curse you take, if you go down the Oracle path.

thotd

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Will be interesting to see which mystery and curse you take, if you go down the Oracle path.

thotd

Ok, now come the Oracle questions... Excuse the lengthy typing, but I had to write down these questions now.

[sblock=Question 1 - Misfortune Revelation]
I was thinking about the Dual-Cursed Archetype, taking Haunted as the curse that does not ever increase past first level, along with Lame curse for the full effect as he/she levels. This brought about the question of how you would interpret the Misfortune revelation I could take.

Misfortune (Ex): At 1st level, as an immediate action, you can force a creature within 30 feet to reroll any one d20 roll that it has just made before the results of the roll are revealed. The creature must take the result of the reroll, even if it’s worse than the original roll. Once a creature has suffered from your misfortune, it cannot be the target of this revelation again for 1 day.

Is that interpreted as the possibility of using this ability as many times as available (one per person affected) each day? In other words, with a group of 4 or 5 other characters, they would EACH be available to have this benefit on a daily basis, as well as each enemy? I could use this 5 times a day (one per person) if I read this right. Again, it costs an immediate action, but one worth asking about now, in case it's the one I choose.[/sblock]

[sblock=Question 2 - What's My Role?]
I was looking at all the mysteries available and realized that some of them would be the same thing the bard would be doing. So, the main question is, what role should I play in this group? I know healing will be needed, so I am looking at using spells for that, since I can spontaneously cast any spell I know when needed. I won't have channel unless I take the Life Mystery for Channel Revelation as a choice.

To get past this choice, I think I need an idea of what each character sees themselves as being in the group. I know the fighter is the up close and personal type, so that is one melee character in the mix. The rogue, from last I saw, was set on being a melee oriented rogue. That's two melee fighters. The sage is unknown as to if it's a blaster, summoner, controller, buffer, AoE/debuffer, etc. Same with the bard.

Again, this might be moot as the DM just stated that character re-work might be available and not frowned upon. My top choices are as follows:

1 - Haunted Oracle taking the Battle Mystery
2 - Haunted/Lame Dual-Cursed Oracle taking the Battle Mystery
3 - Haunted Oracle taking the Ancestor Mystery
4 - Haunted Seer-Oracle taking the Nature Mystery[/sblock]

Remove ads