• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Dungeons and Dragons II: Wraith of the Dragon God spoiler filled thread.

The Thayan Menace

First Post
D&D2: Wrath of the Reviewer

What really bugged me about this movie was its blatant use of so-called "D&Disms" that were horribly inaccurate; for example:

1. The hero's wife mentions that no one in the kingdom is skilled with divine magic, but the main town has a temple with practicing clerics of Obad-Hai. Furthermore, one of the party members (Dorian) is a skilled priest.

2. The party runs from a lich, which is understandable, but they also retreat from an onslaught of darkmantles? Please ....

3. Jubliex is a magical engineer who makes scrying pools? He has no item creation feats, nor does he have arms to build with.

4. Damodar [an undead Fighter who has been around for over 100 years] absolutely sucks in combat.

5. Black dracoliches do not breathe fire.

Oh well, even though this movie was thoroughly putrid, I did have a lot of fun noting how bad it was. Maybe it wasn't a total loss.

-Samir

Darth K'Trava

First Post
DungeonmasterCal said:
Did anyone go to the dndnow.com site advertised at the bottom of the D&D ads? Go! You get a 1,000 exp for doin' so. Sez so right on the website!............still not enough to merit the loss of 2.5 hours of my Saturday night....

Won't help in any of my campaigns.... ;)

The Thayan Menace

First Post
D&D2: Wrath of the Reviewer (x2)

A few more things:

1. The film's sound quality was extremely bad; I felt like I was watching a dubbed martial arts film.

2. The special effects were horrid; the kraken at the start of the movie was a cardboard rendition of the illustration in the DMG.

3. The two-dimensional artwork at the beginning of the film made me feel like I was watching a poorly done version of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride for D&D.

4. The lich costume for Kex the Malevolent looks EXACTLY like the Gebbeth in SciFi's Legend of Earthsea.

-Samir

X

xnosipjpqmhd

Eric Anondson said:
References to D&D history...
"Barrier Peaks", asked what was it like by barbarian woman to the rogue.
Yeah, the barbarian's brother was driven mad by "what he saw in the Barrier Peaks" (a reference to S3).

Eric Anondson said:
"Shrine of the Kuo Toa", referred to by rogue when trying to come up with solutions to a puzzle-lock to gain entrance to tomb. ... Anyone else have some found D&D-isms?
What I was curious about was whether the writers' did their homework. I used to own D2 back in the day, but don't anymore. Was there really a puzzle in the Shrine even remotely similar to that seen in the movie? Quick, someone with a copy of D2, look it up.... ;-)

ironregime

Darth K'Trava

First Post
1. The hero's wife mentions that no one in the kingdom is skilled with divine magic, but the main town has a temple with practicing clerics of Obad-Hai. Furthermore, one of the party members (Dorian) is a skilled priest.

Goes to show she needs to get out more....

Or else she was more partial to clerics of Pelor, not Obad-Hai.

X

xnosipjpqmhd

The Thayan Menace said:
3. The two-dimensional artwork at the beginning of the film made me feel like I was watching a poorly done version of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride for D&D.
I kind of liked the way they did the layered 2D artwork. It was kind of quaint. Much better than something flashy and over-the-top.

Your other observations are spot on, though.

ironregime

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Lich, Kill the Costume Designer!

4ef86f37.jpg

"Kill him yourself!"​

nato

First Post
I think some people enjoy being extremely critical; as though they are raising themselves up. This can usually be spotted when they use hyperbole. They don't just say it was bad, they pull out their thesaurus.

I really couldn't care less if they got some D&D-isms wrong. It does not matter; their made-up stuff is about the same as "correct" D&D made-up stuff. To a non-gamer, its totally meaningless.

Special effects are just a matter of budget. Some of these looked very good to me, some not. Nothing was way-out-there bad.

I think this one has a lot to offer as an introduction of the game. It gets a lot right, especially the general picture of an adventure. I really wish they had went with this instead of the first one. Its got flaws certainly, but I'm not seeing whats gained by bashing. Its not making you look knowledgeable or refined or something.

Remove ads