Island Empire OOC, (Closed)

Lou

Explorer
Undead Spring Attack?

Doesn't everyone except Anson (the attacked) also get an Attack of Opportunity as the undead leaves the threatened square?

Leif

Adventurer
Gnurl Whiskerling

If Gnurl is somehow able to hotwire the runestaff and pull that stunt off, I imagine that he would try to sell it off at the earliest available opportunity. I can see it now:

"Yeah, this is a peach of a runestaff! I got it off a little old lady who only cast with it on Sundays. And I only used it ONCE! What happened, you ask? Well, am I here now telling you this story, or what?" ;)

Scotley

Hero
Lou said:
Doesn't everyone except Anson (the attacked) also get an Attack of Opportunity as the undead leaves the threatened square?

Leaving the square does not draw an attack of opportunity. Only moving into a threatened square. In this case no one threatens the squares below since your weapons can't penetrate the floor.

Lou

Explorer
Scotley said:
Leaving the square does not draw an attack of opportunity. Only moving into a threatened square. In this case no one threatens the squares below since your weapons can't penetrate the floor.

Hmmmm... Then that works both ways. Where are the AoO for the undead entering the threatened square?

But that's not what the d20SRD says:

Provoking an Attack of Opportunity
Two kinds of actions can provoke attacks of opportunity: moving out of a threatened square and performing an action within a threatened square.

Scotley

Hero
Yeah, there are a couple of different factors in play here. The whole moving out of the wall or floor and attacking thing is a special case involving the cover rules. It sort of sucks for the players. This thing also has the spring attack feat which means that the target of its attack doesn't get an attack of opportunity. A very nasty beast this.

Scotley

Hero
Staff of the Undead Slayer Errata

Page 177—Runestaff of Undead Slayer
[Revision]
Substitute deathward with forceward (SC 98),
disrupting weapon with incorporeal nova (SC
121), and searing light with halt undead.

FORCEWARD
Abjuration [Force]
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: 15 ft.
Effect: 15-ft.-radius sphere
centered on you
Duration: 1 minute/level
Saving Throw: Will negates;
see text
Spell Resistance:Yes
Waiving your arm about your head to
trace the curve of a dome, you call up a
hemisphere of force as clear as glass.
You create an unmoving, transparent
sphere of force centered on you.
The sphere negates force effects and
provides an impassable barrier against
incorporeal creatures. Spells with the
force descriptor do not affect anything
within the sphere, and any force spell
that overlaps the area, such as wall of
force, is automatically countered. Incorporeal
creatures, or creatures with the
force descriptor must make a Will save
to enter the area of the sphere.
Forceward does not push a creature
out of the way if you move toward an
incorporeal creature or force effect,
and such creatures are treated as if
they automatically succeeded on their
saving throws against this spell.

INCORPOREAL NOVA
Necromancy [Death]
Level: Cleric 5, sorcerer/wizard 6
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 50-ft.-radius burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
A nova of dissolution dissipates the immaterial
bodies of incorporeal and gaseous
creatures, destroying them instantly.
The spell destroys 1d4 HD worth
of creatures per caster level (maximum
20d4) in the area. Usually,
creatures such as shadows, wraiths,
spectres, ghosts, and similar creatures
are destroyed, though vampires and
living creatures in gaseous form are
also affected, as are other incorporeal
creatures. Creatures with the fewest
HD are affected first; among creatures
with equal HD, those that are closest
to the point of origin of the burst are
affected first. No creature with 9 or
more HD is affected, and HD that are
not sufficient to affect a creature are
wasted.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Not to question the rules guru, but since it seems likely one of us at least is gonna die here I think questions are in order . . .

The readied action rules seem to indicate that once a readied action has been triggered, that action comes before the action/character/whatever that triggered it, and initiative is changed so that from that point forward the PC acts on the same count but just before the character triggering the action. Also, the character's readied action interrupts the action which triggered it (such as a caster casting a spell).

Are there errata or later rulings that aren't in the PHB? I know I don't have all the materials.

H'Roosh will use the same tactics as before, waiting for the 'shadowy arm.' I won't be able to post 'till after work, so if it comes to him before that you have my permission to make his rolls (maybe you'll do better than I have . . . :D )

Scotley

Hero
You are right. The readied action should come first. Since the Dread Wraith was just attacking there was nothing you could spoil, but it might be important in the future.

Remove ads